Profile for Sawmal > Reviews

No Off Switch
No Off Switch
by Andy Kershaw

5.0 out of 5 stars Easily the best thing I read last year, 7 Jan. 2013
This review is from: No Off Switch (Paperback)
No Off Switch review - an autobiography by Andy Kershaw

At the risk of being seen to be jumping on a bandwagon here, this is another 5* review of this remarkable, honest, and refreshing book. How many other books have such a high proportion of 5* reviews - 144 out of 148 (97.3%) at the time of writing?

And thank heavens for Amazon, because you might struggle to find a copy of the tome in the shops. Atrociously, WH Smug and their ilk see fit to barely stock it, whilst littering their shelves with poorly / ghost written rubbish about Z list celebs. To quote the author "this book receives no publicity other than word of mouth from my Facebook pals", (of which I am proud to be one) and, most interestingly also receives glowing endorsements from others such as Stephen Fry, Pete Townsend, Michael Palin and many more who are clearly not languishing at the Z end of the celeb spectrum.

There is not a great deal that I could meaningfully add to the words of other 5* reviewers here, other than to agree with every single one of them. So instead, I shall quote from the introduction of a seminal work by another deft exponent of the English Language: one JRR Tolkien, as this seems to fit the bill nicely. In the introduction to Lord of the Rings he says, "Some who have read the book, or at any rate have reviewed it, have found it boring, absurd, or contemptible; and I have no cause to complain, since I have similar opinions of the kind of writing that they evidently prefer.............The most critical reader of all, myself, now finds many defects, minor and major, but being fortunately under no obligation either to review the book or to write it again, he will pass over these in silence, except one that has been noted by others: the book is too short."

"Couldn't have put it better myself, old chap", as AK himself might say; and as you read this book it is easy to hear him speaking. Should this prove to be troublesome for you, the author has taken the time to record the audio version of his own biography; now how many people would actually do that ?

So don't delay, buy it today !

Canon EOS 7D Digital SLR Camera (Body Only)
Canon EOS 7D Digital SLR Camera (Body Only)

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth the wait, 15 Dec. 2010
I've been an SLR user since the early 70s, with most of my work done on a Canon AE1P. I've always wanted a DSLR since they became available, but other financial commitments prevented this. Was also put off stepping into the DSLR pool a bit by the fact that my Canon FD lenses wouldn't be any use on a DSLR body. Used a Canon Ixus 65 for the past 4 years, but getting the trusty AE1 out again for an airshow reminded me of what a good bit of glass in front of your camera could do for pictures, although it was odd going back to film and not being able to review your pics.

A money windfall a few months ago finally enabled me to go for a DSLR, so I spent quite some time reading reviews and researching on the web. The concept of an entry level DSLR was new to me, and I quickly realised with my experience that I would never be fully satisfied with one of these. I briefly considered the Canon EOS 60D but was put off my the flexing LCD screen - it may have some advantages but I can't see what they are. I also thought that for a little more money I could get a much better body, so plumped for the 7D.

I most certainly have not been disappointed, it is an awe inspiring bit of kit that feels fully comfortable as soon as you pick it up. Despite having quite small hands it does not feel awkward. It is lovely to get back to a proper viewfinder instead of waving a lightweight camera around at arms length. I could not recommend this enough to anyone, but it does help to know what you are up to. At first the array of controls can seem bewildering, but you soon get used to it and I have managed some fantastic pictures over the past few weeks.

I also pushed the boat out a bit more and got some decent lenses, there seems to me to be little point in having a sophisticated body and to then put so-soish lenses on. The Canon EFS 15-85 makes for a great walk around lens and is not too heavy, and the cost is not excessive compared to the body.

Overall, if you're in the position I was in a month ago and wondering whether you can justify the cost of a decent DSLR, then I would say don't hesitate - you will not be disappointed at all with this camera.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 10, 2011 1:04 PM BST