Profile for A. C. Hutton > Reviews

Stefano Delle Chiaie (Black Papers, No 1): Portrait of a Black Terrorist
Stefano Delle Chiaie (Black Papers, No 1): Portrait of a Black Terrorist
by Stuart Christie

4.0 out of 5 stars Informative Book about the Far-Right, 30 Aug 2009
Stuart Christie's knowledge of the far-right is mind-boggling. I was asking myself how he knows all the information contained within the book - it's that detailed. However, I do believe his assertions and it seems to fit, given my less-than-extensive knowledge of the extreme right. For anyone wanting an in-depth invstigation of right-wing influence and atocities, particularly centred around Italy in the seventies, this is the book! Stuart Christie is, of course, the anarchist who tried to assassinate General Franco, fighting on the side of the republicans during the Spanish Civil War. He is an authority on these things and his approach is dry but extremely informative.

Oedipus Schmoedipus
Oedipus Schmoedipus

3.0 out of 5 stars Mother Fixation, 23 Jun 2009
This review is from: Oedipus Schmoedipus (Audio CD)
Undoubtably a very talented composer and bass player (he was the bass player in Magazine and played in many other bands), I found myself thinking that he could write a very good James Bond Theme tune (take note Barbara Broccoli). I like some of the jazzy numbers and he's got loads of ideas - there are collaberations with Billy Mackenzie, Nick Cave amongst others. I'm not so keen on the talk-over songs at all and would not listen to them again. Overall I'm a big fan of Barry Adamson and he always proves he has alot to offer.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 2, 2014 9:27 PM GMT

Song For A Raggy Boy [DVD]
Song For A Raggy Boy [DVD]
Dvd ~ Aidan Quinn
Offered by A1tradingGB

4.0 out of 5 stars Gritty Realism of Irish Institutions, 21 Jun 2009
This review is from: Song For A Raggy Boy [DVD] (DVD)
A hard-hitting look at life for unfortunate boys that have strayed and ended-up being 'schooled' by a Catholic institution (like the Christian Brothers).The film is mainly seen through eyes of a progressive teacher fresh from fighting on the Republican side in the Spanish Civil War. His attitude is at odds with the other so-called teachers who routinely use violence as a means of control.The violence meted out by them is beyond anything that could be considered just (and is also used by some brethren to sexually abuse their charges); the crescendo of violence culminates in the murder of one such 'inmate'. The progressive teacher has a crisis of confidence after this slaying and decides to leave. However, on seeing the poor faces of the boys, he sees that he is much loved and needed. A very touching, emotive and depressing film that made me feel angry towards those Catholic Institutions that were given responsibility for 'wayward' boys and girls in the last 80 years or so.

Ehi! Negrita/Best of
Ehi! Negrita/Best of

3.0 out of 5 stars Negrita - Standard Italian Rock?, 21 Jun 2009
This review is from: Ehi! Negrita/Best of (Audio CD)
I bought this album as they are supporting the Damned at Azzano Decimo festival in Italy in June 09. I'm not a huge fan of Italian rock as I believe it lacks imagination even though Negrita are excellent musicians and no doubt have a big following in Italy and elsewhere. I also find their lyrics simplistic (I speak some Italian), although some of the tunes have grown on me and as I said, the guitar playing stands out at times and surprises the listener. Not too keen on the voice though. Get it if you like standard rock with well done guitar licks and listening to Italian singing.

My Wicked, Wicked Ways
My Wicked, Wicked Ways
by Errol Flynn

5.0 out of 5 stars My wicked wicked ways -errol flynn, 15 May 2009
This review is from: My Wicked, Wicked Ways (Paperback)
This is a wonderful honest history of Flynn's life and is one of the best books I have ever read. It's a refreshingly candid warts-and-all funny piece of writing from a very talented writer and actor. I would recommend it to anyone. A fascinating read.