Profile for Jess Watkins (A Book Addict's Bookshelves) > Reviews

Content by Jess Watkins (...

Jess Watkins (A Book Addict's Bookshelves) (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-18
Heart of Dread: Frozen
Heart of Dread: Frozen
by Melissa de la Cruz

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 19 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Heart of Dread: Frozen (Paperback)
*I received a copy of this book via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. Thanks to Hachette Children's Books and NetGalley*

New Vegas is a frozen city in a ruined planet. Natasha Kestal - aka Nat - is a blackjack dealer at one of the many casinos in New Vegas. Nat has a secret which, if it is discovered, could lead potentially to her death. She is looking for a way to escape New Vegas, for a way to 'the Blue', a land of myth and mystery which is a paradise with fresh water and sun. Nat hires some mercenaries led by Ryan Wesson - aka Wes - to get her safely to 'the Blue'. Will they survive the journey? Will they find 'the Blue'?

After reading the blurb I was excited to read this - what could be more exciting than a blackjack dealer on a frozen planet?
My excitement, however, was short lived.
The characters were okay and I didn't have any problems with Nat or Wes but I didn't really connect with either of them. I do think that it would have been better if they were older though - sixteen seemed a bit young, especially as Wes had been a soldier.
The plot was okay but slightly predictable. It did seem very rushed and I never felt drawn in.
A lot of things went unexplained, like why did the freeze happen? And how? How did the trashbergs form? Did people push rubbish into the oceans? New races of people were introduced - smallmen, sylphs and drakons, also some other variations, but none of them were really explained that well - where did they come from? When did they appear?
I would have liked to have seen more of Nat in the role of a blackjack dealer.

Overall this book had an interesting premise but in my opinion failed to deliver.

Rain (Harlequin Teen)
Rain (Harlequin Teen)
by Amanda Sun

3.0 out of 5 stars An enjoyable, unique read., 16 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Rain (Harlequin Teen) (Paperback)
*I received a copy of this book via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. Thanks to Harlequin TEEN*

Katie has decided to stay in Japan but her life becomes more complicated - she's struggling at school and Tomohiro's control is becoming weaker. Can Katie trust Jun? Does he have an ulterior motive? Will Tomohiro be able to control his powers?

Rain was a good sequel. I loved the mythology and found it really interesting.
There were some good twists and I thought the revelations about Katie and Tomohiro were clever.
I would have liked to have seen more development in the romance between Katie and Tomo - as in deepening their connection as, during the first book, they seemed to fall for each other instantly and didn't really get to know each other. I did like how goofy Tomohiro could be sometimes.
The pace did seem to slow a bit at points but I liked the writing style and wanted to read on.
The multiple love triangles did annoy me a little bit.

Overall this was an enjoyable, unique read.

By My Side
By My Side

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay but I lost interest, 11 Nov. 2014
This review is from: By My Side (Kindle Edition)
*I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review via NetGalley. Thanks to HarperCollins UK, HarperImpulse*

2.5 stars

Lena is attending a funeral with her mother, the last place she wants to be after catching her boyfriend and best friend together, an event which led to her attempted suicide.
Then a stranger starts talking to Lena and tells her about Kate Heath, a nurse who found love when she wasn't looking for it.

This book is around 90% Kate's story and 10% around Lena which was a shame as I was more interested in Lena. I liked Kate but I found her story a bit predictable. I enjoyed the start of this book but after a while I lost interest. I didn't really connect with the story or the writing style.

Overall this was an okay book but I lost interest.

Some Boys
Some Boys
by Patty Blount

3.0 out of 5 stars An enjoyable and emotional read, 8 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Some Boys (Paperback)
*I received a copy of this book via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. Thanks to Sourcebooks Fire and NetGalley*

Everyone is calling Grace a slut because she accused Zac, the school golden boy, of raping her. Grace tries to put on a brave face but every day is a struggle.
Ian, one of Zac's friends, has a crush on Grace but after her accusation he has to take Zac's side because he's his friend.
But as Grace and Ian grow closer, Ian starts questioning whether Grace is the liar everyone thinks she is.

This book is about a tough subject but I thought the author handled it well.
I enjoyed the writing style and found it easy to read.
I really liked the characters in this book, even the secondary ones, and found them easy to relate to.
I felt so sorry for Grace as people called her names and thought that she'd made the rape up. She was so strong and I was glad she got a happy ending.
It was interesting to read from Ian's point of view as he started off believing Zac but then started having doubts.
While I enjoyed this it didn't grip me.

Overall this was an enjoyable and emotional read about a difficult subject.

Lies We Tell Ourselves
Lies We Tell Ourselves

3.0 out of 5 stars A unique, eye-opening read that I would recommend, 3 Nov. 2014
*I received a copy of this book via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. Thanks to Harlequin TEEN and NetGalley*

Jefferson High School has always been an all-white school but now several black students have enrolled.
Sarah Dunbar is one of the new students and arrives at the school on her first day to an angry crowd. She endures being spat on and verbally abused.
Linda Hairson, a white student, has been taught that integration isn't natural. Linda's beliefs are shaken as she gets to know Sarah.

This was an eye-opening and emotional read.
I wasn't taught about American History at school (as I'm British) but I had a vague idea about the segregation that happened.
The behaviour of the Jefferson High School students was appalling and I felt really sorry for the black students.
I admired Sarah and rooted for her. Linda was an okay character. I liked how she grew into a better person and felt sorry for her because of her mean father.
I was happy with the ending and while I didn't find the writing or the plot gripping, I did enjoy the story.

Overall this was a unique, eye-opening read that I would recommend.

Heir of Fire: 3 (Throne of Glass 3)
Heir of Fire: 3 (Throne of Glass 3)
by Sarah J. Maas

2.0 out of 5 stars Okay but didn't hold my attention, 1 Nov. 2014
*I received a copy of this book via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. Thanks to Bloomsbury Publishing Plc (UK&ANZ) and NetGalley*

Celaena has been send to Wendlyn by the King of Adarlan to do his bidding. Celeana is overwhelmed by grief from her friend's death. Will she go through with the King's orders? Will Dorian be able to control his powers and hide them from his father?

I really wanted to enjoy this. I really, really did.
I don't know why but I've struggled with this series since book one. While I did enjoy the first two books overall I didn't like this one.
I couldn't connect with the storyline or the characters at all. I found this really boring and skim read most of the book, only reading the chapters about Manon properly.
Celeana really annoyed me throughout the book - she was whiny and selfish.
I don't think she has lived up to the title of Adarlan's Assassin at all except maybe at the end of Crown of Midnight.
I'm sorry to say that I didn't really care what happened to Dorian or Chaol while reading the book. I was annoyed that Dorian had to have a new love interest as soon as Celeana left the palace but the twist at the end was good.
It was interesting to learn more about Wendlyn and Celaena's heritage.

Overall this was an okay read bit it didn't hold my attention.

Afterworlds
Afterworlds

3.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable but slightly disappointing, 28 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Afterworlds (Kindle Edition)
*I received a copy of this book via Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review. Thanks to Simon & Schuster and Edelweiss*

Teenager Darcy Patel is putting college on hold in order to live the dream of being a writer. Her book Afterworlds is going to be published and she's signed a contract for the sequel. Will Darcy be able to write the sequel? Will she be able to live her dream?

Afterworlds is essentially two books in one and the chapters alternate between Darcy, the author, and Lizzie, the protagonist of Afterworlds.

Darcy's story:
I preferred Darcy's chapters mainly because I found it interesting to read about the process authors go through - editing and then touring - and how Darcy was feeling throughout it all. I liked Darcy and thought that she was brave for going against her parents and doing what she wanted to (moving to New York to be a writer instead of going to college). The romance was okay and I liked that it wasn't cheesy or over the top.

Lizzie's story:
I didn't enjoy Lizzie's chapters as much - the romance felt forced and unnecessary. I didn't find the plot that interesting or gripping. Lizzie was okay but I didn't really connect with her. However there were aspects to this half of the book that I did think were clever.

Overall I enjoyed the book but I was slightly disappointed.

Paradigm
Paradigm

2.0 out of 5 stars Unique but I lost interest, 22 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Paradigm (Kindle Edition)
*I received a copy of this book via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. Thanks to Bookouture and NetGalley*

After waking from a fever, Alice Davenport finds the city destroyed and contaminated after violent storms. Alice is rescued and taken to an underground facility built by Paradigm Industries.
87 years later Carter Warren, who has been frozen for 15 years, is woken up. He is a candidate for the role of Controller General and he is determined to succeed. But the world has changed and Carter will find himself questioning his beliefs.

Paradigm switched back and forth between Alice and Carter's point of views and I found Alice's chapters more enjoyable. It took me a while to get into this but I did . . . until around halfway through when I found my attention drifting. I just wasn't interested in what was happening and skim-read the rest of the book.
The characters were okay and the post-apocalyptic world was unique.

Overall this was a unique read but I lost interest.

Daughter of Smoke and Bone: Daughter of Smoke and Bone Trilogy Book 1
Daughter of Smoke and Bone: Daughter of Smoke and Bone Trilogy Book 1

3.0 out of 5 stars An enjoyable read, 19 Oct. 2014
*I received a copy of this book via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. Thanks to Hodder & Stoughton and NetGalley*

3.5 stars

Karou lives two lives. In one she is an art student in Prague and in the other she runs errands for a creature that we would consider monstrous. For Karou, Brimstone and his workshop in Elsewhere are home but she has always felt like something is missing, that part of her is missing.
But what will Karou do when the doors to Elsewhere start burning down?

This is a unique, creative and fantastical book. I loved the whole wish system and I liked Brimstone, Issa and the other chimera that lived in Brimstone's workshop. I liked Karou and really enjoyed her banter with her best friend Zuzanna.
The first half of this book was gripping, intriguing and brilliant but the second half, which focuses more on Karou's past and who she really is, was a bit of a letdown - I often found my attention wandering and I just didn't find it that interesting. The romance for me was okay but the insta-love kind of annoyed me.

Overall while this was a unique and very creative book I lost interest in places.

Almost Dead
Almost Dead

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 11 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Almost Dead (Kindle Edition)
Almost Dead is a collection of short stories, all vampire themed.

Fang Girl - A radio station runs a competition for one lucky person to have a date with the star of a detective series. One Fang Girl will do whatever it takes to win.

Bite Me - Ritchie gets more than he'd bargained when a girl at his school bites him at a party.

Baby Teeth - Dr. French has a patient with a strange complaint.

Ode to My Lunch - A vampire that writes poor poetry tries to woo the latest woman to catch his eye.

Almost Dead - Becca's wedding night doesn't end quite as she expected.

I really enjoyed these short stories. They were witty, funny and original. The writing style was engaging and I often found myself smiling or sniggering. I love the cover and thought the bonus poems at the end were a brilliant idea. I would definitely recommend this collection.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-18