Profile for Jess Watkins (A Book Addict's Bookshelves) > Reviews

Content by Jess Watkins (...

Jess Watkins (A Book Addict's Bookshelves) (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11
Grim anthology
Grim anthology
Price: 1.49

3.0 out of 5 stars An enjoyable read, 17 April 2014
This review is from: Grim anthology (Kindle Edition)
*I received a copy of this book via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. Thanks to Harlequin Teen and NetGalley*

This anthology has a good mix of stories with interesting takes on the original Grimm tales.
My favourites were "Figment" by Jeri Smith-Ready, "Beast/Beast" by Tessa Gratton and "Untethered" by Sonia Gensler.
There were however some stories that didn't grasp my attention but overall I liked this anthology and would recommend it to fans of YA and fairy tales.

The Geography Of You And Me
The Geography Of You And Me
Price: 5.90

3.0 out of 5 stars A good read, 15 April 2014
*I received a copy of this book in exchange for a honest review. Thanks to Headline and Jennifer E. Smith*

Lucy and Owen meet in an elevator during a blackout that affects all of New York. They spend the night together before they both end up moving away. Their encounter affects both of them so deeply that even halfway around the world they keep in contact and eventually meet again.

This was a sweet story but I was surprised at how little contact Lucy and Owen actually had. It wasn't a particularly gripping read but I did enjoy it.

Unbound (All Good Things Book 1)
Unbound (All Good Things Book 1)
Price: 1.93

2.0 out of 5 stars An okay read, 14 April 2014
*I received a copy of this book in exchange for a honest review. Thanks to Xpresso Book Tours and Georgia Bell*

Rachel, a very shy young woman has been watched over by someone all her life, someone who always seems to be there when she needs him most.
Eaden is an immortal and Rachel is the key to his death.

This was a unique twist on immortals but despite that I found it boring and couldn’t connect with the storyline or the characters.

Unfortunately this wasn’t for me.

The Last Werewolf (The Last Werewolf 1) (The Last Werewolf Trilogy)
The Last Werewolf (The Last Werewolf 1) (The Last Werewolf Trilogy)
Price: 1.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Not for me, 12 April 2014
*I received a copy of this book via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. Thanks to Canongate and Glen Duncan*

I stopped reading this before halfway.
I couldn't connect with the storyline and it didn't hold my attention.
Unfortunately this wasn't for me.

The Last Forever
The Last Forever
Price: 6.99

3.0 out of 5 stars A good read, 1 April 2014
This review is from: The Last Forever (Kindle Edition)
*I received a copy of this book via Edelweiss in exchange for a honest review. Thanks to Simon Pulse and Deb Caletti*

Tessa's life is turned upside down when her mother dies. Her father suggests an out of the blue road trip and she agrees, albeit reluctantly. The road trip ends at a small coastal town where her estranged grandmother lives. Then Tessa meets Henry Lark who she takes an immediate liking to. Despite his outward perfectness Henry has a secret, one that just might ruin the forever that Tessa had been hoping for.
Throughout all this Tessa struggles to keep a plant, the last pixiebell, a family heirloom and supposedly the last of its kind, alive.

This is an emotional story about beginnings and endings. The characters were relatable, likeable and I really felt for Tessa as she struggled through her grief without her father who was too absorbed in his own sorrow to help her.
The Last Forever is unique and well written. It took me a while to get into this book but once I did I enjoyed it.

Song of the Fireflies
Song of the Fireflies
Price: 5.49

2.0 out of 5 stars An Okay Read (Contains Spoliers), 28 Mar 2014
** spoiler alert **

*I received a copy of this book via Netgalley in exchange for a honest review. Thanks to Forever (Grand Central Publishing) and J.A. Redmerski*

Song of the Fireflies tells the story of Bray and Elias who are best friends and have been in love with each other for years.

Where to begin?
This was not the sweet, romantic love story that I was expecting. This was dark and full of sex and drugs - more than I was comfortable with. To be honest I found the whole story a bit pointless - if Bray had just turned herself in like she should have done then none of it would have happened.
Speaking of Bray I kind of hated her.
I know she was suffering from a serious mental condition but at times she was horrible to Elias and nearly everything she did/said annoyed me. She was very immature and should have gone to the police instead of running away.
Elias was okay but he deserved better than Bray - even though there were some things he did that annoyed me too.
I do think that Bray's parents had a lot to answer for in regards to her illness and behaviour.
Unfortunately I couldn't connect to the storyline or the characters.
Overall this was an okay read.

White Hot Kiss (The Dark Elements - Book 1)
White Hot Kiss (The Dark Elements - Book 1)
Price: 4.19

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!, 19 Mar 2014
*I received a copy of this book via Netgalley and Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review. Thanks to Harlequin TEEN and Jennifer L. Armentrout*

Layla is half gargoyle half demon.
Protected by the Wardens, Layla spends her time at school or out tagging demons, something that only she can do.
With a potential demon uprising on the cards, Layla finds herself torn between two guys - 1) Zayne, a Warden she's grown up with and has a crush on, but nothing can happen between them because when Layla gets close enough to kiss someone she takes their soul. 2) Roth, a demon who has no soul so kissing wouldn't be a probelm.
Layla has been brought up not to trust demons but what if the Wardens have been keeping secrets from her?

Where to start?
This book is AMAZING!
It's original, so gripping that I didn't want to put it down or for it to end and there were twists and turns that I didn't see coming.
Then there's Roth my new favourite book boyfriend...
I LOVED this book and cannot wait for the sequel!

The Sowing
The Sowing
Price: 2.40

4.0 out of 5 stars 3.5 stars, 18 Mar 2014
This review is from: The Sowing (Kindle Edition)
*I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. Thanks to Xpresso Book Tours and K. Makansi*

3.5/5 stars

Remy Alexander left the capital of the Okarian Sector with her family to join the Resistance after her sister was killed in a classroom massacre.
Three years later, Remy lives in an underground Resistance base and finds information to the reason behind her sister’s murder.
Back in the capital, Valerian Orlean, son of two important figures in the Okarian Sector and the boy that Remy had loved, is given the task of hunting down Resistance members.
Vale soon discovers dark secrets that make him reconsider his position.

The Sowing is set in a post-apocalyptic world which we learn a bit about but I would have liked there to be more details about the destruction of the Old World and then the establishment of the Okarian Sector.
One thing I really liked about this book was that science was a big theme.
As someone with an interest in the sciences, particularly Biology, I found it very interesting and I liked the fact that it played such an important role in the storyline.
I also found the technology intriguing, especially the idea of sonic grenades.
Apart from the prologue which is told from Remy’s sister, Tai’s, point of view, The Sowing is told from Remy and Vale’s perspectives.
It was interesting to read as they both discovered things and changed throughout the book.
They were both likeable characters as were their friends.
I found the middle of the story to be a bit dull but it picked up towards the end and was so gripping that I didn’t want to put the book down.

Overall this was a good read with intriguing elements.

Doctor Who: Tales of Trenzalore: The Eleventh Doctor's Last Stand
Doctor Who: Tales of Trenzalore: The Eleventh Doctor's Last Stand
Price: 2.07

4.0 out of 5 stars Must read for Doctor Who fans, 16 Mar 2014
*I received a copy of this book via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. Thanks to Random House UK, Ebury Publishing and Netgalley*

Tales of Trenzalore includes four short stories of some of the many times that the Eleventh Doctor protected the town of Christmas from alien invaders during his 900 year stay on Trenzalore.

I enjoyed all four of these short stories - They were all unique tales that grabbed my attention.
I especially liked that Handles was mentioned in some of the stories.
My favourite was the first story - Let it Snow by Justin Richards.
This is a must read for all Doctor Who fans.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 5, 2014 12:18 AM BST

Doctor Who: Salt of the Earth (Time Trips)
Doctor Who: Salt of the Earth (Time Trips)
Price: 1.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable, 16 Mar 2014
*I received a copy of this book via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. Thanks to Random House UK, Ebury Publishing and Trudi Canavan*

The Third Doctor and Jo Grant go to Australia on holiday but end up at a salt lake and not the beach like Jo wanted. But this is no ordinary salt lake. Strange statues scatter the lake that don't survive in wind or rain. Is there more to these statues than meets the eye?

This was a very quick read that I enjoyed but for me the problem was resolved too quickly and could have been elaborated. Despite this I liked the book overall.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11