Profile for B B > Reviews

B B

Page: 1 | 2
The Synchronicity War Part 1
The Synchronicity War Part 1

5.0 out of 5 stars Addictive Easy to Read with Military Focus and Dash of the Supernatural, 14 Mar. 2015
I was surprised at how compelling this easy to read novel was. It puts the reader in the mind of a military tactician through whom one shares the tension of strategic decision making. I was delighted by the treatment of artificial intelligence emerging as potentially sentient life. A dash of supernatural mystery adds a welcome contrast to the otherwise highly technical and structured military world.

Stagg Trumpet Care Kit
Stagg Trumpet Care Kit

2.0 out of 5 stars Shoddy Bottles for Liquid - Otherwise Adequate, 6 July 2014
The end of the screw-on lid of both the slide grease and the valve oil cam off meaning that when you screwed the cap on, there was still a hole in the end. Otherwise the pack was adequate.

Korg M3 88 Key Keyboard Piano Flight Case
Korg M3 88 Key Keyboard Piano Flight Case

4.0 out of 5 stars Sturdy, 14 Jun. 2014
Sturdy keyboard case. I use it for a Casio Privia 150. Has a good separate compartment for leads etc. and comes with strips of foam to pad out any negative space.

The Orpheus Descent
The Orpheus Descent

4.0 out of 5 stars Well structured and thought provoking, 14 Jun. 2014
With each chapter alternating between the ancient world and the present day, this book has a nice rhythm to it and acts as an gentle introduction to what philosophy is/was all about set against an increasingly tense plot.

2pcs Professional Quality Bassoon Reed Expression Medium Reed W/case Bassoon Parts

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Value, 27 Mar. 2014
I'm an enthusiastic amateur, not a professional, but I love these reads for their excellent value. I couldn't find any flaws in them, they seem very well made:

There was no residual bark
The blades were flush without one overlapping the other
There were no visible cracks
There mouth end was a good shape, not too flat or too wide
The bocal ends were perfectly circular and aligned
The wires didn't seem to be pinching

In my set, one of them was a lot firmer than the other but as it happened that was actually a great benefit. Where they are described as "Professional Quality", I'm inclined to believe it despite the low price.

Deluxe Bassoon by Gear4music
Deluxe Bassoon by Gear4music
Offered by Gear4music
Price: £1,149.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Value - Needs the Right Reed, 27 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Deluxe Bassoon by Gear4music
I agree with everything in the review by T. Townsend so I won't duplicate the details here, other than to say that, for me as an enthusiastic amateur, the sound is great.

The only thing I would add is how much difference a reed can make both to the overall sound and to individual notes. I always had trouble getting a clear basic C one octave above the bottom C. The notes around it would sound find but the C would sound like there was cotton wool stuffed in the instrument.

Then I sprang for a set of two new reeds. With one I had similar trouble but less so. Unlike the first new reed, the second reed was very firm and completely transformed the sound I was getting: the problem I had with getting C disappeared instantly and the instrument produced a richer, darker and more penetrating sound which is just what I wanted.

Without this epiphany I might had nurtured a growing suspicion that the fault lay with the instrument and I had made a bad investment. As it is, I am very, very happy with it. I would never have been able to take up this instrument at the usual prices.

Bassoon Seat Strap, Neotech
Bassoon Seat Strap, Neotech
Offered by Meteor Music

4.0 out of 5 stars So much quicker than a hook, 26 Mar. 2014
I love this bassoon seat strap. It's so much quicker and easier to use than using one with a hook. The bassoon fits perfectly into the "cup" at the end and the other end it easy to clip on to the chair leg. When you need it a break, just slide the bassoon out and pop it on your stand - no fiddling with the hook.

I've given it four stars only because it didn't actually go short enough for me - I have to have the instrument very high. I resolved the issue by placing the strap under my left leg then over my right leg; this raises it up very high and gives the added benefit of allowing me to adjust the height while playing by moving my right foot forwards or backwards this raising or lowering my right thigh.

The other very minor quibble is that the cup can stop one of the keys at the bottom from opening if you're not careful, but that's easily resolved.

Kent PC500 Cotton Polishing Cloths (Pack of 5)
Kent PC500 Cotton Polishing Cloths (Pack of 5)

5.0 out of 5 stars High quality, 9 Sept. 2013
These seem high quality and good for the price. The cloths are very soft and fine. I use them for cleaning keys on musical instruments.

Sumnique - USB Printer Cable lead for HP Hewlett Packard & Lexmark A-B
Sumnique - USB Printer Cable lead for HP Hewlett Packard & Lexmark A-B
Offered by Brilliant Comms

5.0 out of 5 stars Does The Job, 9 Sept. 2013
Not much to add here - connects my HP printer to my HP laptop and lets me print. Job Done.

Medipaq® Leakproof Unisex PORTABLE URINAL - Idea for Car Travel Camping Caravan Festivals Children Elderly
Offered by Medipaq® from Great Ideas™

4.0 out of 5 stars Good But A Bit Unbalanced, 9 Sept. 2013
I got this because of the screw on lid which has performed very well so far. The product is good, the only quibble I have is that it tends to tip over so that the lid is on the floor when it is empty. When full, it stays upright.

Page: 1 | 2