Profile for Alice > Reviews

Die For Me: Number 1 in series
Die For Me: Number 1 in series
by Amy Plum

5.0 out of 5 stars A fresh take on paranormal romance, 26 Jan 2012
What can I say? I totally loved this book. I have never been an avid fan of paranormal romances. I feel everything is too sudden and just fake. Die For Me felt like a whole new take on the undead.

First of all I loved the concept of the revenants instead of vampires or zombies. It felt very original and I will admit to having no idea what they actually were. I don't want to give anything away but it was a really interesting take on paranormal.

I liked Kate a lot. I thought she was interesting and despite her parents dying she wasn't too distraught that she wasn't able to engage me. Vincent, the love interest was superb. I thought he was mysterious, sexy and yes, French! I was really intrigued by him and his involvement in the revenant world.

The additional characters were good too. I liked Kate's sister Georgia. I really respected her relationship with her sister. I did find her to be a little irresponsible at times but that can be overlooked. Similar to Twilight there were a collection of revenants at the house where Vincent lived that has been found and saved so to speak. Yes, a little twilightesque but it didn't bother me. They were all really interesting and brought something interesting to the novel.

The plot was a good pace. I enjoyed it from the beginning as Vincent got me really curious. I got more and more drawn in as the plot went along and I really enjoyed what I was discovering. It is full of action; swordfights, villains, kicking bad guy butt! I enjoyed it immensely.

The ending wasn't too cliffhanger-y which I liked. It was a nice, simple ending after a climax so I felt it was suitable. I am very excited to read the next instalment which it comes out.

If you want a different kind of paranormal romance then I think this is the book for you! It made me love it all over again!

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children)
by Ransom Riggs

3.0 out of 5 stars Slightly Disappointed but Enjoyable None The Less, 17 Dec 2011

3.5 stars

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children was a book I was dying to get my hands on. I would do pretty much anything for a copy. That cover? Awesome. Those freaky pictures inside? LOVE. The book wasn't quite what I was expecting but I enjoyed it none the less.

Jacob and his grandfather have a very strong bond. From an early age Jacob's grandfather told him stories of a place where there were peculiar children that could do things that no one else could do. Jacob is a little doubtful of these stories and ventures to Wales to discover if they stories his grandfather told him were just that or if they held some truth.

From the pictures and the cover, I expected a really creepy book. Instead, there was a story of a young boy uncovering a mystery about his grandfather. I loved the idea of the book and I adored all the pictures that accompanied it. It was a really lovely touch.

I wasn't expecting the romance that occurred. I love romance and I loved the aspect of it. I liked both Jacob and his love interest but I particularly liked Millard. Definitely my favourite peculiar.

I really enjoyed Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children but it wasn't quite what I expected. I would describe it as an adventure/mystery novel rather than creepy. It read slightly more middle grade than YA in my opinion but nevertheless I enjoyed reading it.

Crescendo
Crescendo
by Becca Fitzpatrick

4.0 out of 5 stars Paranormal Romance With a Side of Mystery, 17 Dec 2011
This review is from: Crescendo (Hardcover)
Review can be found at [...]

Crescendo was a pleasant surprise for me. I enjoyed Hush, Hush but it didn't live up to the hype for me. Crescendo, however, was a lot more enjoyable.

I found the plot captivating and quick paced. It was full of mystery and suspense and I loved that.

Patch was more appealing to me in Crescendo. He wasn't perfect but he felt less creepy for sure. Nora was a little annoying at times but I generally liked her.

All in all I thought Crescendo was a better read than Hush, Hush. A quick read with lots of twists and turns!

Overprotected
Overprotected
by Jennifer Laurens

4.0 out of 5 stars Overprotected by Jennifer Laurens, 17 Dec 2011
This review is from: Overprotected (Paperback)
Review can be found at [...]

Overprotected took me a little while to warm to but once I did I was completely addicted. It consumed every thought I had. A seemingly light read with darker undertones. I would call it as a guilty pleasure.

Ashlyn is the daughter of an extremely overprotective father that has her watched constantly. She craves freedom and in a desperate attempt to gain it, she tells her father that her bodyguard is in love with her. In return, her father brings in a new bodyguard, Ashlyn's childhood enemy, in hopes of preventing a romance between his daughter and her bodyguard.

The writing style took a while to get used it. It was very simple and straight foward but it created a quick pace that kept me reading. To say the book was addictive is an understatement. I had to know what would happen and how it would end.

The synopsis sounds a little creepy but it is much worse in the book. There is creepiness from many different angles. Her father's protection was suppressive and unhealthy. I definitely sympathised with Ashlyn.

I liked both Ashlyn and Colin. I adore hate to love romances and this was no exception. There was chemistry and sexual tension between the two from the very beginning and I loved every minute of it. Their romance was lovely to read.

The ending was a huge shock. Laurens kept me guessing and there were twists and turns involving character development and plot. There were definitely some characters that I misread.

This book exceeded my expectations and I am so glad I had the opportunity to read it. A beautiful romance mixed in with dark elements, dealing with overprotective parents and general family life. A refreshing read!

Fallen Grace
Fallen Grace
by Mary Hooper

4.0 out of 5 stars An Enjoyable Dip Into Historical Fiction, 16 Dec 2011
This review is from: Fallen Grace (Hardcover)
Review found at[...]

Fallen Grace is a beautifully written novel filled with history, mystery and family. It is my first historical fiction novel and I must say, I really enjoyed it.

The story starts with Grace having given birth and her travelling to a cemetery to bury her stillborn baby. The tone of the novel is set immediately and I automatically felt sympathy for her. The life she and her sister live, selling watercress on the streets, selling their mother's possessions; it was heartbreaking.

Grace was an incredibly strong protagonist. Despite the poverty in which she lived, she was incredibly graceful and elegant. She never acted entitled and her first thought was always for her sister Lily. Grace is like a mother to Lily, putting Lily's needs before her own. She is a mother, sister and provider all in one.

The plot goes in many different directions, a lot of them being surprising to me. The progression of the plot caught me by surprise and it was totally unpredictable. The ending was unexpected and I love it when that happens.

Fallen Grace is a book containing a lot of tragedy but at the same time it contains so much hope. The love Grace has for sister and the strength she possesses definitely reminded me what was important, especially when the world around you in treating you poorly. A nice introduction for those who haven't tried historical fiction and an enjoyable read for those that have.

The Name of the Star (Shades of London, Book 1)
The Name of the Star (Shades of London, Book 1)
by Maureen Johnson

4.0 out of 5 stars Haunting Boarding School Fun That Really Packs A Punch, 16 Dec 2011
Review found at [...]

The Name of the Star is nothing like I've ever read before. A book set in London, about Jack the Ripper and ghosts. Totally count me in! Rather than feeling like a paranormal, it felt like a contemporary fiction with a touch of paranormal. The first third of the book felt very much like a contemporary novel. A new girl in a new school in a new country. Nothing overly unique there (though still fabulous). The ghosts were a nice touch to add some paranormal elements yet it still felt very plausible and realistic.

Rory was incredible. A fabulous protagonist. Her southern charm and wit was hilarious and constantly had me smiling. Jazza, Rory's roommate was wonderful too and she added humour and fun to the novel. The relationship the two of them had was endearing and sweet.

Jermone was a lovely romantic interest. Gosh, does Maureen Johnson know how to write a hot guy and some steamy make out scenes. I really enjoyed the romantic aspect of the novel. This being said, I liked Stephen a lot too.

I'm not going to say much on the ghosts as I wouldn't want to spoil anything. There is a lot of mysteries around the ghosts and those who can see ghosts and it was extremely interesting to read about!

I love history. I find it extremely interesting and I loved how Johnson wove in interesting facts about Jack the Ripper. It was done so subtly that it didn't feel like a historical fiction, in the sense of it taking over the whole novel. It was a perfect amount of fact and fiction.

I did, however, feel a little lag in the middle which slowed my reading. It wasn't hugely significant though it did effect my enjoyment slightly. The POW-WOW ending completely made up for this though. All in all, a fabulous read. Definitely recommend!