Profile for Andie > Reviews

Content by Andie
Top Reviewer Ranking: 732

Andie "Andie" (London, UK)
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
L'Oreal Elvive Re-Nutrition Shampoo 400 ml - Pack of 6
L'Oreal Elvive Re-Nutrition Shampoo 400 ml - Pack of 6

4.0 out of 5 stars and as it's the only shampoo that lets me style my ultra fine hair so that it holds the shape, 8 Nov. 2015
My local supermarkets have all stopped stocking this, and as it's the only shampoo that lets me style my ultra fine hair so that it holds the shape, I was horrified, assuming that it was going out of production. Whether it is or not, it's nice to have the security of a few bottles of the stuff stored in a cupboard. It arrived tidily packaged with the contents safely in tact.

Adobe Illustrator CS5: Learn by Video
Adobe Illustrator CS5: Learn by Video
by Chad Chelius

4.0 out of 5 stars I found this incredibly useful. I would imagine that it depends very much ..., 8 Nov. 2015
I found this incredibly useful. I would imagine that it depends very much on what you expect from it as to how useful it actually is. The main value of this is in watching the lessons and focusing on familiarizing yourself with the possibilities of Illustrator. If you have been working in Photoshop this is incredibly valuable, because it is so conceptually different in spite of similarities in the interface. The tool by tool demonstrations are brilliant, and you can go back and revisit them any time you like. This is followed by lessons on how to carry out certain tasks that are fundamental to Illustrator. I really appreciated the sections on Bezier curves, because there's nothing like seeing them in action to understand how they work. However it is not really a work-along tool, although it does offer the option. Although there are exercise files used in the videos, and there is an option to reduce the lesson window to one part of the screen it is very difficult to work along on the same screen. It is easier if you have two machines (desktop and laptop in my case), but even then the narrative is too fast to let you follow along without pausing constantly. I would recommend this more as a rich and easy to follow introduction to Illustrator for beginners and a resource for constant revision of the techniques demonstrated. It has so much information in it, and really makes you appreciate the full potential of Illustrator. There are lots of tips in the video lessons, particularly for short cuts and alternative methods of carrying out tasks, and these too are invaluable. I have moved on to working through the Adobe Classroom In a Book for Illustrator CS5. Having worked through the Learn By Video beforehand made all the difference in the world, because this was not my first attempt to get through the book, and I am now racing through it with all the knowledge that the video imparted stuffed in my head.

Palaeolithic archaeology of the central Namib desert: A preliminary survey of chronology, typology, and site location (Cimbebasia memoir)
by Myra L Shackley
Edition: Unknown Binding

4.0 out of 5 stars A great introduction to the Palaeolithic of the Namib, 22 Jun. 2015
This edition of Cimbebasia has been authored by Myra Shackley, whose "Using Environmental Archaeology" was required reading in many universities when I was an undergraduate. This work, published in 1985 and over 84 pages, is a summary of fieldwork carried out on surface sites in the central Namib desert, focusing on the dune sea. As an expert in environmental archaeology, Shackley is interested not only in chronological and typological aspects of the remains located but in understanding the environmental context. Her introduction describes the difficulties being tackled, the methodology used, topography and natural resources and environmental change. She then goes on to describe a number of sites before wrapping up with her conclusions and suggestions for future work. Her conclusions are organized chronologically: Early Stone Age, Middle Stone Age and Later Stone Age. Illustrated throughout with illustrations of the lithics described, black and white photographs and maps, this is an invaluable text for anyone wanting to know the basics of Palaeolithic archaeology in the central Namib desert.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars this is essentially the love story of a man with the Sahara, 15 May 2015
Originally written in French and translated by Katherine Woods, this is essentially the love story of a man with the Sahara. Pilippe Diole is best known for his books of underwater exploration but he had previously been fascinated by the desert and this book charts his return to that territory. This is a highly personal account, beautifully observed and will appeal to anyone who shares a love of the Sahara and enjoys a lyrical and reflective writing style. He talks of nature, rock art and prehistoric remains with equal passion and sensitivity, and is an interested in the dark energy of a sandstorm as he is in the delicate details of a painted horse and the individuality of the people he encounters.

24 Hour Plug In Timer Socket
24 Hour Plug In Timer Socket

3.0 out of 5 stars It cost very little so it would be unfair to ..., 16 April 2015
It cost very little so it would be unfair to complain about how flimsy it is, but do note that it is not particularly robust. Nor does it come with instructions so if you've never had one of these before you will either need to work it out for yourself or look up some instructions for a similar product online. However, it does work perfectly. Just treat it with care and it should do the job.

Sandalwood Fragrant Oil 100ml
Sandalwood Fragrant Oil 100ml
Offered by MysticMoments

5.0 out of 5 stars but I love sandalwood and the combination of the diffuser and the ..., 16 April 2015
I ordered this for an aromatherapy diffuser that was purchased for me as a birthday present. I had never had one before and wasn't sure whether I would take to it or not, but I love sandalwood and the combination of the diffuser and the oil is a brilliant The soil actually smells of sandalwood, which a lot of perfumes and perfumed oils that claim to be sandalwood actually don't. I am very pleased with it. This particular oil is designed to be diluted prior to use.

Mountain Warehouse Panna Womens High Wicking Breathable UV Protection Stylish Long Sleeved T-Shirt Bright Pink 14
Offered by Mountain Warehouse

4.0 out of 5 stars so I ordered the next size down and it was perfect. The fabric is ultra light-weight and very warm, 16 April 2015
I ordered my usual size and it was a bit big, so I ordered the next size down and it was perfect. The fabric is ultra light-weight and very warm. Because the fabric is so thin it is not intrusive when worn as a base layer. Unlike some of these products the neckline is quite generous, which is good news for me as I hate having necklines actually touching my neck as I find it confining. The colour is just as it is in the photograph. The fact that it is high wicking is an excellent bonus. Super for the price.

Blackspur BB-KN325 Transparent Snap-Off Knife Set
Blackspur BB-KN325 Transparent Snap-Off Knife Set

5.0 out of 5 stars Love them. In these days of endless packaging these ..., 16 April 2015
Love them. In these days of endless packaging these slice through parcel tapes of all sorts so easily, are superb at breaking into those ghastly blister packs that seem custom-designed to be impenetrable, and are useful for reducing cardboard to manageable proportions. I chuck one into my luggage on holidays and it always comes in handy. They are not made for heavy duty work so if you're looking for a sort of slimmed down Stanley knife, these are not a replacement for engaging in DIY projects. They are, however, brilliant for ordinary household tasks. I ordered packs for a couple of friends too, and they have been very much welcomed.

Garlic Bulbs, French Violet (Purple) Garlic, 5 large heads of Fresh Garlic, 2015 Season.

4.0 out of 5 stars It is beautiful garlic. They are fairly enormous bulbs, 25 Jan. 2015
I could never imagine myself ordering garlic from Amazon but in the absence of any decent garlic in the local supermarkes I had a look around and found this. It is beautiful garlic. They are fairly enormous bulbs, so they last for a long time, but they keep very well in the fridge (I transfer them to a cupboard when I want to start using them so that they are at room temperature, which is best for cooking them). The flavour of the garlic is excellent and because the bulbs (and therefore the individual cloves) are so big they can be fine-sliced to great effect, as well as being flattended or pushed through a garlic crusher.

Kenwood CH180 Mini Chopper, 300 Watt - White
Kenwood CH180 Mini Chopper, 300 Watt - White

4.0 out of 5 stars A review about its mayonnaise capability, 25 Jan. 2015
I wanted a machine that would make mayonnaise and other emulsified dips and sauces, so if you are not interested in making mayonnaise don't worry about reading any further. I couldn't see clearly from the photographs on Amazon if this little chopper had a gap in the lid to allow liquids to be trickle-fed into the main chamber. It does. It is quite a big hole, so you need to careful to pour only a very thin trickle of oil for the mayo. If you do that, it will make absolutely perfect mayonnaise, in spite of coming only with a metal blade (in my experience plastic blades are usually better, but not this time). It needs two yolks to get it started, or the blades don't make much of an impact. For mayo lovers, this is a winner.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 2, 2015 7:40 AM BST