Profile for J. Parker > Reviews

Content by J. Parker

J. Parker "Jo Parker" (Lincolnshire)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Other People's Lives
Other People's Lives

4.0 out of 5 stars Had me laughing!, 22 Mar. 2014
This was a good read with enough humour to keep me interested. Very likeable characters who I could relate to - perfect holiday read to load onto your Kindle!

Urbanz SPORTZ Running Sports Gym Stereo Headset Headphones for Running with Apple iphone 6, 6 Plus, 5 5c 5s 4s ipad ipod Touch, Samsung Galaxy S5 S4 S3 Note 3 2 and Android Tablet Phones with Microphone (Green - Mic)
Offered by SORK-LTD

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Fit and Very Good Quality, 22 Mar. 2014
My Sony headphones suddenly stopped working last week and I bought these as a stop gap.
Because of the reasonable price, I didn't expect much, but I was amazed at the quality of sound and the comfort. I have small and very sensitive ears, which don't take kindly to objects being stuffed in them, hence I don't buy ordinary in-ear phones. These sit gently over the ears and the bud sits neatly just inside the ear opening, so it doesn't press onto the skin. The band keeps the earphones in perfect position making them ideal for running.
In terms of sound quality, there is honestly very little difference between these and my circa £50 Sony pair. For those who want Bose or B&O sound quality, I suggest spend more money, but if you are purchasing for running or gym work, I would highly recommend these.
I have never bought a pair of earphones that fit so well. I will definitely be buying some more in other colours, even if I keep them for when these have had their day. They also come with replacement ear bud covers!

Why Do You Overeat? When All You Want Is To Be Slim
Why Do You Overeat? When All You Want Is To Be Slim

5.0 out of 5 stars Deals with much more than food..., 1 Dec. 2013
I bought this book on recommendation from a friend whose mother had tried for many years to shift excess weight. Zoe Harcombe's simple messages worked wonders and the lady has managed to lose several stones.

I am only a few pounds over my optimum weight now however I have battled with this weight issue constantly since I was a teenager and especially since I married and had children.

This is the very first book regarding this subject that I have read from cover to cover, every word. From the first chapter, I regressed into an 11 year old in her first biology lesson at high school, learning about the different food types and how they are used by our bodies. If I'd have really thought about that lesson as deeply as I consider things now, I would never have been overweight and more importantly would have been much more able to cope with the hormonal changes I would face in subsequent years (let alone pregnancy and all that comes with it!).

This book is filled with common sense; Zoe does repeat subjects over and over which might annoy some readers, but I could see that she was emphasising the importance of her statements and it sat well with me.

Once we are clear what happens to food when we eat it and how our bodies use it, we can begin to understand what is necessary for a healthy life and what is not. The scientific explanations blow all the current 'low fat' thinking completely out the water! As an experiment, I dipped into phase 2 of the diet for 5 days. I enjoyed my favourite of all foods - cheese. I didn't over do it, but if I wanted some, I had it! I reduced the amount of fruit I ate each day to two pieces and generally ate a healthy but much lower carb diet than usual. I avoided all low fat (high sugar) products and ate hardly any processed food. I lost 4 lbs.

I guess the reason I am reviewing this book today is that I sat in tears yesterday. The last few chapters about 'why' we overeat and why we have our individual relationships with food were a revelation to me. I have always thought of myself as a strong, resilient person with no psychological issues of any kind. 'Zip up your man-suit and crack on' is my mantra. However, once I began to read the chapter about relationships with parents, I was that child. Not only was I that child, but also the wife who struggles for reassurance, respect and affection. This is when I realised that eating rubbish is not making myself feel better when I am low (which is most of the time at home), but that I am actually harming myself by putting complete crap into my body. I suppose it's a mild form of self-harm or punishment! Some of you might think I'm crackers, but I have actually come to realise that when I eat something full of chemicals and sugar and not much else, it is bad for me. So why would I eat it, if not to punish myself? If I was given a tube of face cream that was proven to increase wrinkles, would I put it on? I think not.

Zoe, thank you for waking me up - for remembering that our bodies are not dustbins, but finely tuned machines that need quality fuel to work at their optimum. Thank you also for helping me to acknowledge that I have been punishing myself and that it's time to change things.

Flip
Flip

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for a teenage read, 5 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Flip (Kindle Edition)
My son (who dislikes reading as it gets in the way of football) had to choose a book from his school reading list. Unable to make a choice (due to lack of interest) I selected 'Flip' for him. I downloaded it to my kindle as boys like gadgets and I read it first. I loved it, every page. It addressed emotions for teenage boys from a completely unusual perspective, it had me laughing and on one occasion tearful. Alex found himself in another boy's body and later discovered how it happened. His desperation to return to his original life was portrayed superbly. I loved Cherry and the way nothing phased her. I also liked Rob who was destined for a life as someone else, with no hope of returning.
I'll go as far as saying that Martyn, you are a genius. My son read it all without any prompting and really enjoyed it. We even discussed the book afterwards. I've let him allocate the star rating. He's only given you 4 because there was no football..! Thank you.

Deadly Stillwater: A compelling crime thriller (Mac McRyan Mystery Series)
Deadly Stillwater: A compelling crime thriller (Mac McRyan Mystery Series)

5.0 out of 5 stars Why has this not become a film?, 5 Sept. 2013
I downloaded this for my holiday and saved it for the penultimate day. I couldn't put it down; it was a lengthy book (something you don't necessarily consider when buying the kindle version) but I was even reading it on the journey home as my husband drove. Usually I feel sick if I read as a passenger, but I must have been concentrating too much to notice.
The plot is well thought out, the story is full of suspense and the characters plausible. This would make an excellent film and I can think of the perfect actors.

Crime in the Community (Pitkirtly Mysteries Book 1)
Crime in the Community (Pitkirtly Mysteries Book 1)

3.0 out of 5 stars Bizarre, 5 Sept. 2013
I chewed through this book, constantly thinking 'where on earth does all this come together?' and 'who thinks of this stuff?'
It was okay as stories go albeit a little odd. I felt a little depressed on behalf of Christopher the main character for much of the book. I don't always seek a happy ending although this poor man could have benefitted from one!

Sekonda Women's Quartz Watch with White Dial Analogue Display and White Silicone Strap 9901.27

3.0 out of 5 stars Lost its colour, 10 Aug. 2013
I loved this watch when it arrived. Have just returned from holiday and wore it pretty much each day. The rubber strap has gone an off white colour all over - could be the sun or reaction to my skin. Never mind, what did I expect for £16? It's the equivalent of 8 coffees!

Miele SF-AH 30 HEPA13 Timestrip Filter for S2000, S7000, Classic and Dynamic Series
Offered by Kenco Spares

5.0 out of 5 stars Genuine products are the best, 9 Aug. 2013
These might be more expensive than copies, but you get what you pay for. My Miele Ruby's performance has improved massively since I fitted this new Hepa filter. Worth every penny.

Miele Type FJM Replacement Filter Bags For Cylinder Series
Miele Type FJM Replacement Filter Bags For Cylinder Series
Offered by Kenco Spares

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product and cheaper on Amazon, 9 Aug. 2013
I considered buying cheaper bags for my Miele Ruby, but I'm glad I purchased the genuine articles. This machine has given me 10 years of hassle free vacuuming and I don't want to ruin that.
Not a massive saving but I could only get them locally for £9.45, so I saved £1. That's £1 towards a decent bottle of wine...

Wishing On Venus
Wishing On Venus

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb Debut Novel, 31 July 2013
This review is from: Wishing On Venus (Kindle Edition)
It's not often that something is posted through the door which is worth reading. Once I had got over the shock at finding this novel with 'no strings attached' I started reading it that very evening. By about 10pm I was half way through it and had to make myself stop!
I very rarely read this genre of fiction, but I absolutely loved Wishing on Venus and the occasional 'tongue in cheek' portrayal of St Peter, Gabriel and the Devil, in a context I would never have considered! Some chapters had me giggling, others had me close to tears.
Very imaginative, truly thought provoking and very articulately written.
I have been urging many people to read this book but have very selfishly passed it to my mum to read first!
Thank you Mark, no need to post the book next time, just a slip of paper telling me where to find it as I would gladly pay for any of your subsequent work.
Jo