Profile for Trufflebottom > Reviews

Trufflebottom

Page: 1 | 2
No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what I was looking for, 21 Nov 2013
I've been buying this diary for years and am very pleased that Letts have taken out the unnecessary and annoying double-page monthly planner that they started putting into it recently. It has a very useful clear plastic wallet at the back for documents, which is much better than the paper ones that some other diaries have as it is flexible and you can get more in. The space for each day is a good size and not lined, so it's easy to write however much you need for each day. Also all of the days are given plenty of space (some diaries assume that nothing happens at the weekend!) and there's a handy section for notes every week where the eighth day would go if there was one. I would be lost without this by my phone.

Electric
Electric
Price: 9.91

4.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, of course, 12 Sep 2013
This review is from: Electric (Audio CD)
How could an album by The Cult be anything less than wonderful? I bought this because I'm going to see them during the Electric 13 Tour, when they are playing this complete album plus more, and can't wait. I missed The Cult first time round, during an era when music had generally slipped from my life, but am really enjoying catching up with all the great bands I missed, and to me they're new! I fell in love with Ian Astbury's voice the first time I heard it and this album showcases it well.

Presumed Innocent
Presumed Innocent
by Scott Turow
Price: 6.86

5.0 out of 5 stars A good, meaty read!, 22 May 2013
This review is from: Presumed Innocent (Paperback)
This book takes a lot of concentration but is definitely worth it. It gradually sucks you in and you really, really want to know what happens in the end. And by the way, it has an absolutely fantastic ending! I'm now reading the sequel, Innocent, and this may be even better, although I think you do need to have read the first one first.

Before I Go To Sleep
Before I Go To Sleep
by S. J. Watson
Price: 4.66

3.0 out of 5 stars An enjoyable book but disappointing, 24 Feb 2013
This review is from: Before I Go To Sleep (Paperback)
I was really looking forward to reading this book as it had got such good reviews, but I have to say I was slightly disappointed. I expected the tension to mount more steadily than it did but instead it meandered along and then had a quick burst of pace at the end. It was easy to read though and overall I did enjoy it.

Letts 2013 Carnival A5 Week to View Diary
Letts 2013 Carnival A5 Week to View Diary

4.0 out of 5 stars A good clear everyday diary, 24 Feb 2013
I have been buying this diary for some years and find it very clearly set out, with enough room to write down appointments and notes each week. Last year they introduced a feature that I really don't like: a double-page planner within the body of the diary each month. This breaks up the rhythm of the month and just gets in the way. I've never found a use for it. If this were to be taken out I would give the diary five stars next year.

The Hare With Amber Eyes: A Hidden Inheritance
The Hare With Amber Eyes: A Hidden Inheritance
by Edmund De Waal
Price: 6.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Historically interesting, 24 Feb 2013
I found this book a bit hard going in places and it raced along in others. There was a little too much emphasis on art history for me but I did particularly enjoy (if that's the right word) the sections that focused on Vienna just before and during WW2. The descriptions of the netsuke themselves were tantalising and I had to look up Edmund de Waal's website to see more pictures of them. Overall I did enjoy this book and I am glad that a friend recommended it to me.

Adjustable Neck Bib Apron White with Pockets - traditonal waiting waitressing / serving clothing for your establishment
Offered by Rinkit Ltd
Price: 13.26

4.0 out of 5 stars Good quality but big, 26 Dec 2012
This is a good, basic apron for protecting your clothes from splashes etc in the kitchen and is well made using good quality material. I like the pockets, which include a narrow one for a spoon. My only gripe is that the apron is huge. If Amazon had given measurements in the product description it would have made me think twice. I am small (5') and I have to fold the apron in the middle or it would be too long, even with the adjustable neck strap, and the waist ties go round me four times. If I wasn't so awful at needlework I would consider altering it. I realise I should have e-mailed Amazon to find out the size, as suggested in the product description, but it never ocurred to me it would be so big. However, I have kept it and do use it and have nothing against the apron itself.

Ladder Of Years
Ladder Of Years
by Anne Tyler
Price: 6.29

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as straightforward as it seems, 16 Sep 2012
This review is from: Ladder Of Years (Paperback)
On the surface, this book seems to be just a story of the day-to-day events in the life of a woman who leaves home and starts again, and when I finished it I really didn't like the ending. But it has stayed with me and I find myself thinking over what happened to Delia, both before and after her leaving. It's when it occurs to you what the title means that the penny drops and you realise that it's a much deeper book than it first appears to be. I found it very 'American' and consequently not such a smooth read but, as I say, it's stayed with me.

Wasting Light
Wasting Light
Offered by mrtopseller
Price: 7.00

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this album, 1 Jun 2012
This review is from: Wasting Light (Audio CD)
I bought this album after hearing some of the tracks played a lot on the radio and was very glad that I did. Although I love the tracks I already knew, I love a couple of the less well-known ones even more, for example Dear Rosemary and, in particular, I Should Have Known. All in all, a good buy.

Nailtiques Formula 2 Nail Protein 14 ml
Nailtiques Formula 2 Nail Protein 14 ml
Offered by Cosmetic Solutions Inc.
Price: 11.99

3.0 out of 5 stars OK, while it stayed on!, 23 April 2012
I had heard that this was excellent for strengthening nails but it didn't work for me. In fact, it came off! By putting it on every day, a few layers built up but then they started to come away from the edges in a thick wodge and it was possible to remove the whole nail's-worth in one thick piece. The product also made my nails very dry. I was supplied with a second bottle containing oil (which I wasn't expecting) but the instructions were very unclear about when and how you should use this. On the plus side, my nails didn't shred while it was on and, like other clear nail varnish, they had a nice shine. All in all, not a good buy, for me anyway.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 1, 2013 6:01 PM BST