ARRAY(0xae5ee750)

Osram Spylux TM Automatic LED Night time Motion sensor White
Osram Spylux TM Automatic LED Night time Motion sensor White
Price: 9.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for as long as it lasts, 2 April 2014
I bought one of these just after Christmas 2013. It was excellent - easy to set up outside, it produced a lovely bright arc of light near our front door, enabling us to approach the house feeling nice and secure and also see where to insert the door key! Fantastic. It worked consistently well until about two months later, when, all of a sudden, it started turning itself on and off, then on again, etc etc, as the natural light faded. At first, seeing the bursts of light from the hall, I presumed some cat was prowling around and triggering off the light, but I'm afraid it was a malfunction within the actual light. A great pity, as the price and the design had made this a very good purchase. It's probably just one of those things, but I mention it as a warning. It's well worth trying, but be aware that it might not last that long.

Olympus DM-901 Stereo Voice Recorder with 4GB Flash Memory, PCM, MP3 and WMA - Black
Price: 178.33

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good, 31 Mar 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a superior sort of voice recorder, suitable for a wide range of tasks, including dictation, interviews, lectures, committees, music and nature recordings. It's stylish, light, compact and relatively easy to use. The clear display and frontal menu is very helpful, ensuring that you can check levels and other concerns without having to fiddle with buttons on sides or at the top or bottom. If you're unsure of what levels to set manually for your uses, there is a set of fixed, pre-programmed levels organised in terms of such things as close conversations, lecture halls, etc etc.

There are a few things (I speak as someone who's main recorder is a Zoom H1) which I'm not too keen on. First is the battery: I guess the need to be very light has led to the reliance on a Lithium-ion rechargeable battery, but I really don't like them - they tend to drain increasingly quickly as time goes on (at least in my experience) and I'd much prefer to set out to an interview or whatever knowing I've just inserted a new set of ordinary alkaline batteries. (Maybe that's just my neuroticism, but I just don't trust these things!)

I also find the sheer range of options just a bit too fussy. If you're not used to these kinds of gadgets it might scare you a bit when you first set it up, although, in truth, you really can get by quite well just by starting off via trial and error and learning slowly from one section to the next.

I also think, for this price, Olympus really should provide some kind of protective case for this. It's a very nice-looking device, but I doubt it will withstand being dropped on a hard surface, and the face is easily scratched, so you'll be wise to seek out some kind of phone case to keep this in.

What does it do well? Sound. That's the answer. It really is a very good sound recorder, that gets better the more you master the controls and set it up expressly for your own particular activities. If you aim to record in the best quality format you'll probably need to insert an SD card to increase the memory, but even in mp3 the audio is really impressive and certainly as good as you'll need for anything like dictation or interviews not intended for broadcast.

The most notable 'extra' function is its ability to work with your smartphone via a dedicated app to act as a remote control, which not only allows you tag sound files with an image from your phone, but also, more importantly, trigger it into and out of action from a nearby location (so, for example, at events such as a seminar or a lecture where there is quite a bit of distance between you and the speaker, you can still get a top class recording by setting the device close to the the speaker and then use the app to control the recorder from your vantage point). No use to me as I don't have or want a smartphone, but this would be a fine feature for, say, a journalist who attends lots of press conferences.

Generally, therefore, I'd recommend this. I still find my Zoom much more straightforward to use, but as a second device this is really welcome and, at its current Amazon price, this is good value for an excellent quality of recorder.

Omron HN289 Personal Scales Midnight Black
Omron HN289 Personal Scales Midnight Black
Price: 25.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Superior scales, 31 Mar 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This looks really smart and stylish. It's thin (about 1.8cm), light (about 1.5kg) and well-designed. The tiny base feet are not only non-slip but also non-scratch. The results are instantly displayed when you step on. The clear LCD display can show the weight in kilograms, stones or pounds. It is powered by one 3V lithium battery, which lasts about a year. There's not really anything more to say - they're scales, they do the job - but this model is a classy-looking thing that will impress anyone who uses it.

Mr Beams The MB312 Motion-Sensing Light-Sensing Battery Powered LED Spotlight, Pack of 2
Price: 31.50

4.0 out of 5 stars Best outside light I've used, 31 Mar 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
These are very impressive. They're a bit fiddly to open and insert the batteries, and the lack of an on/off switch means it feels like you're fighting against the rays of the sun as you put it up in position, but they work. They're bright, discreet, smart and reliable. They do the job, and do it well. I have one of mine located near my front door and it's so nice to come back in the evening and see where the keyhole is! Very much recommended.

Elle Mac Pherson The Body by Homedics Instant Nail Wraps in Mirror Silver
Elle Mac Pherson The Body by Homedics Instant Nail Wraps in Mirror Silver
Price: 6.10

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice concept, flawed execution, 15 Mar 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is billed as "a two minute nail makeover" - which is, shall we say, highly optimistic, as it's very fiddly when you start, very difficult to achieve perfect results and will probably take several packs before one starts to master the process. There are good things about this product: it fits all nail sizes, for example, it requires no drying time and it will not chip or smudge or peel. The problem, however, is that it is so tricky to apply, at least by a novice, that there is a high degree of wastage and a frustrating amount of errors. It might be worth getting someone else to put these on your nails - maybe that would make for a calmer, more precise, application - but otherwise you will need to get into the right frame of mind, keep patient and keep trying! I must say that, when I finally managed to get a good set on my nails, they felt nice and I liked the effect, so I may well get a new pack with a different colour, but, caveat emptor - this is not a quick trick.

Venus and Olay Sugarberry Razor
Venus and Olay Sugarberry Razor
Price: 8.92

3.0 out of 5 stars Nothing special, 14 Mar 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
One of the great mysteries of the modern world must be how these shavers keep adding more blades and yet get less effective at actually shaving. I've used much simpler two or three blade shavers and had a closer and easier and quicker shave. So I can't say this is particularly good at its actual job. Having said that, it looks pretty, is comfortable to hold and the sugarberry-scented moisture bar is a nice little touch that does give off a faint but pleasant aroma. It's a little fiddly to clean - you need a bit of tapping as well as washing - and the bars soon get soft and rather 'gooey', but it's not a bad shaver (you certainly aren't likely to suffer nicks with this) and there are certainly worse around. I just wouldn't claim it gives you an exceptional finish.

HP Deskjet 2540 All-In-One Printer
HP Deskjet 2540 All-In-One Printer
Offered by IHI
Price: 42.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Great - but keep checking the price, 16 Feb 2014
I love this. I've had two expensive printers break down so often they've ended up just taking up valuable space. I badly needed something that would actually work, but I'd become so disenchanted with printers I was ultra-cautious and only tried this because the low price (combined with the good reviews) seemed to merit the gamble. I'm delighted with it. The instructions, so-called, are hopeless. There's a descriptive guide to the various buttons, which doesn't help you to set it up, and a 'quick' guide which is simply a series of pictures, which was about as helpful as a bad mime artiste. But luckily there are online guides that do help, and it's quick and easy to get everything loaded and up and working. It prints very well in colour or black and white, it scans well (you click on your computer to control that), and it copies documents and pictures as well. It's just so easy you can't quite believe it. All I would say is check the price a few times, because it fluctuates: I bought mine from here (February 2014) for 39 - the next day it was 48. But do I recommend it? Absolutely!

Olympus TP-8 Telephone Pick Up Microphone
Olympus TP-8 Telephone Pick Up Microphone
Offered by PASSA
Price: 12.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good, 3 Feb 2014
I'm pleasantly surprised by this. I've been relying on a somewhat antiquated tape recording attachment to record interviews conducted on the phone, so I got this in the hope that it would work via my digital voice recorder. It is remarkably simple: you attach one end to the mic socket on your recorder, and put the other end (which has an ear bud) in your ear. Then you press the receiver to the same ear and start recording. I used it with a Philips DVT 5000, and the first attempt was dismal - I could barely hear anything. I then realised the recorder needed to first establish its range, and if you wait for it to do that (maybe tap a couple of times on the ear bud to facilitate the process) before starting your call it actually works - I had a very clear two-way conversation that was easy to transcribe. Let's be clear about the quality - it won't overcome the tinniness of your typical phone call, but it's clear enough for transcription or even a brief broadcast. I don't like the bud jammed in my ear, but that's a minor inconvenience. From extreme scepticism I've become a convert. At this price, it's a great little device. Just be patient, and be prepared for a few tests before using it properly, and I think you'll be pleased with it.

Max Factor Whipped Creme Foundation 80 Bronze
Max Factor Whipped Creme Foundation 80 Bronze
Price: 8.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely, 30 Jan 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The texture of this is gorgeously soft and creamy. It feels great, covers the skin gently but effectively and lends a natural but refreshing look to one's face. I've previously tried the 55 Beige, which I also liked, but - rather unexpectedly - I prefer the colour of this. I expected it to be quite dark, but it suits my skin much better than the beige (it is more of a dark beige on the skin) and covers all blemishes really well. I'm impressed!

Pharmavits 600mg Extreme Raspberry Ketones Vitamin Supplements - Pack of 60 Capsules
Offered by OP Supermarket
Price: 39.00

2.0 out of 5 stars Not Convinced, 30 Jan 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
It seems as though Raspberry Ketones are the fat-burning fashion of the day. Every Groupon-style email seems to feature a version of the product, usually claiming an obscene sum for the full retail price. So it's easy to be intriguied by the claims made by these products, even if one retains a healthy degree of scepticism.

So how does this particular version rate? The answer can't really be anything but cautious.

The container is thin and wide, with an unusually wide but easy to remove lid. The actual capsules are big - about an inch long - and will not be easy to swallow if you usually have difficulty with larger tablets and capsules.

You don't feel anything after taking them. No nausea, no sense of fullness, no tingles, no pains. You're supposed to take two capsules (with water) per day: one before breakfast and one before lunch. It's not clear why one has to take them then, rather than, say, before dinner, but it does specify that you take them before or with food.

I can certainly confirm that they don't appear to do any harm, but I also must confess I haven't noticed them do any good. I suspect with most of these things that they can trigger a change in attitude that leads to weight reduction, but as for any actual direct effect on the body, well, it seems questionable.

They're SUPPOSED to burn fat. Apparently raspberry ketone helps to enhance activity of the hormone adiponectin, which plays a role in regulating blood glucose and body weight. Adiponectin works in the body to modify blood glucose and insulin.

As far as I know there is no medical evidence of this for humans, rather than mice, so the jury is still out. All I can say is buyer beware. For a fairly large sum of money for a few capsules, you will be getting something of dubious worth. Personally, I'll try eating more fresh raspberries instead.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-17