Profile for NXH > Reviews

The Death of a Child
by Peter Stanford
Price: 15.55

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful, heart-wrenching, honest read, 2 Jun 2011
This review is from: The Death of a Child (Hardcover)
"The Death of a Child" was not an easy read for me, having experienced the loss of our daughter, Joy, so recently in December 2010.

Joy had been diagnosed in utero with Trisomy 18. The expectation had been that she would be stillborn, or at best, that she would survive minutes because of her congenital heart defect coupled with a diaphragmatic hernia. Joy proceeded to live for 2-1/2 days. Meeting Joy alive meant watching her die, and with the experience of death so raw in my life, it was difficult reading of loss after loss in "The Death of a Child".

However, every story in "The Death of a Child" carried within it not only pain, but also hope. Every story talked of the beauty of the life lost to death, and in doing so, defies the power of death.

Reading this book made me realise that I have a choice: I can either let grief corrode some or all of me by attempting to bury it or I can embrace grief with a childlike faith that it may become a part of me but it will never consume me.

I am so grateful to Peter Stanford, the parents and siblings for sharing their journeys and to Continuum for publishing this book.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 24, 2011 7:50 AM BST