Profile for friend for life > Reviews

Content by friend for life

friend for life (UK)

Antiference A1100R 1 Way Digital TV Aerial Signal Booster/Amplifier
Antiference A1100R 1 Way Digital TV Aerial Signal Booster/Amplifier
Offered by Solitaire

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 23 Aug. 2014
We moved into a basement flat, so the aerial cable from the roof was very long and the signal weak - made weaker still by the necessity to add a further 15m cable from the socket to the TV. Our signal was between 20 and 23% and the picture kept dropping. On a limited budget our options for boosting the signal were limited, and so we plumped for this one. If it didn't work we hadn't wasted a lot of money.

Well - it works brilliantly. Our signal has been boosted to between 60 and 65% and is nice and stable - and our array of channels went from 120 to 185!

Highly recommended as a cheap but excellent option for boosting a weak digital signal

Kinivo 501BN Premium 5 port High speed HDMI switch with IR wireless remote and AC Power adapter - supports 3D, 1080p
Offered by BlueRigger LLC

5.0 out of 5 stars quirky but excellent, 7 Oct. 2013
We bought this as it was cheap, to replace an Onkyo that our cat kindly decided to pee in and we're unable to replace such an expensive piece of equipment due to finances.

Anyway, this switch works extremely well - once you manage to connect everything. When we first connected our equipment, it wouldn't output and only one of the inputs was detected. After a great deal of jiggery-pokery (a technical term!) we eventually unplugged every piece of equipment from the mains, connected everything back to the Kinevo, and gradually plugged all the equipment back in. It found everything - TV, PS3, XBox360, WD Media Player, Sky HD - and everything plays fine through it. No loss of signal, no picture degradation. It switches between equipment fine - we use the remote as auto-switching it perhaps a little hit and miss (which is due to the HDMI protocols of the equipment connected rather than the switch itself).

The LEDs don't bother me - everything we have seems to have red, green or blue LEDs of varying brightness, static and flashing, so you learn to tune them out.

My only real gripe is the remote. It's TINY!!! If you've ever had the 'lost the remote down the side of the sofa' syndrome then it'll be a permanent feature in your daily routine with this.

Other than that minor gripe, and the initial connectivity issues, I have no problems with giving this a 5 star rating due to its size (small) and price (cheap). (And the cat gets minus 5 stars for not knowing the difference between an Onkyo Receiver and a litter tray)

Everything is now housed in a cabinet from a charity shop, with glass doors to prevent any more kitty toilet issues!

The Five Tors
The Five Tors
by Benjamin Ford

5.0 out of 5 stars nice little supernatural thriller, 1 Jan. 2008
This review is from: The Five Tors (Paperback)
This arrived from Amazon just in time for Christmas, and made great escapist reading. Having been billed by the author as a bit of a departure from his usual style, it wasn't as terrifying as I was anticipating, but is still exciting, and the sense of danger from the 'ancient evil' is quite potent. Characters are likeable, with Rob, Virginia and Dolores coming off best in terms of backstory. They all have terrible choices to make in order that the evil be defeated, which is a recurring theme in the author's books. The supernatural elements that I enjoy are all there, as are the fantasy elements that skew the otherwise 'real world' settings. I suppose if I had any criticism it would be that the story is resolved a bit too quickly with no real 'aftermath', but it was still a great read that left me wanting more from the author.
Comment Comment | Permalink

The Time Traveler's Wife
The Time Traveler's Wife
by Audrey Niffenegger

4.0 out of 5 stars time travel with a twist, 18 Mar. 2007
I've always been a big fan of anything to do with time travel, which stems back to a childhood brought up on Doctor Who. This novel put a refreshing spin on the time travel phenomena without making it too 'sci-fi'. Looking for something along similar lines I found PORTRAIT OF SHADE by Benjamin Ford, which I found to be a worthwhile read. I shall now be investigating his other books and also awaiting something new from Audrey Niffenegger.

Daughters of Fire
Daughters of Fire
by Barbara Erskine

5.0 out of 5 stars and excellent read from a favourite author, 6 Feb. 2007
This review is from: Daughters of Fire (Hardcover)
I'd been waiting ages for the new book by BARBARA ERSKINE, and this was certainly worth the wait. I'll admit to being a little disappointed by HIDING FROM THE LIGHT, her last novel, but this one is up there with LADY OF HAY and MIDNIGHT IS A LONELY PLACE (the latter of which remains my favourite BARBARA ERSKINE novel.) Characters are memorable and the narrative only drags slightly in a couple of paces, but it kept my interest till the end. If you enjoy BARBARA ERSKINE'S novels, try those of BENJAMIN FORD. THE MASTER OF PROPHECY is a superior sequel to MASTER OF THE SCROLLS, and PORTRAIT OF SHADE is a good read too. All three OF BENJAMIN FORD'S books follow similar themes to BARBARA ERSKINE'S... restless spirits seeking revenge for past deeds, possession, plus time travel with added fantasy elements.

The Master of Prophecy
The Master of Prophecy
by Benjamin Ford

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic sequel to Master of the Scrolls, 23 Nov. 2006
This review is from: The Master of Prophecy (Paperback)
After Benjamin Ford's stunning debut with Master of the Scrolls, I have been eagerly awaiting this sequel, and it doesn't disappoint. Plotting is tighter than the first novel, with enough red herrings to keep you guessing who is possessed by who... and why! The anger that follows three separate spirits down through the century is the result of a terrible misunderstanding that ended in a murder centuries ago. I won't spoil oit by telling you whether the anger is resolved or not. It was great to see Thaumaturgia Anathemas back again, and we get to meet her mother and find out more about the pair of them this time... and Sawyl Gwilym is back too! Somehow I don't think we've seen the last of him! We are promised a further sequel to complete the trilogy, and I for one can't wait!

Miss this one at your peril.

Daewoo DF8150  Multi-region Capable DVD Recorder +RW & VCR Combination with MP3 and JP
Daewoo DF8150 Multi-region Capable DVD Recorder +RW & VCR Combination with MP3 and JP

5.0 out of 5 stars FANTASTIC piece of kit!!!, 9 May 2005
I was dubious, not knowing whether Daewoo were a good brand for electronics or not, but I was looking for a VCR/DVD+RW combi, and decided to take a chance. I'm not sorry I did either.
The free disc that came with it stopped recording after 8 minutes, and now the player doesn't recognise the disc - it keeps saying 'no disc', so I began to fear the worst. However, at the same time I purchased some spare discs (Verbatim DVD+RW 4.7GB (4x) 10pk Jewel Case), and all these record perfectly, are recognised AFTER recording, play on my modern DVD player (though not on my older model in the bedroom) with no problems at all.
Setting up is a doddle, recording from Sky+ couldn't have been easier with scart connections, and copying from VHS onto DVD+RW was simpllicity itself. Copying VHS tapes of programmes recorded off the tv years ago has SIGNIFICANTLY improved the picture quality.. it's astounding.
I've only had it a couple of days so far, but have recorded fully onto 10 discs already, and apart from the initial free disc, I have had absolutely no problems at all.
I have no problem in recommending this piece of kit... it's ridiculously easy to use, and ridiculously inexpensive!
10/10

5.0 out of 5 stars FANTASTIC piece of kit, 9 May 2005
10/10

Verbatim 43246 4x DVD+RW - Jewel Case 10 Pack
Verbatim 43246 4x DVD+RW - Jewel Case 10 Pack
Offered by ECOTRONICS

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic quality and value for money, 9 May 2005
At less than 80p per disc, I only bought one pack because I was wary of the quality. I needn't have worried... picture and sound quality are brilliant. I have been copying videos I taped off the tv... my recorder (DAEWOO DF8150 DVD Recorder +RW and VCR Combi, with MP3.JPEG & Picture CD compatible) which I bought at the same time is superb... it has enhanced the quality of these recordings significantly! I will be purchasing more without hesitation!

Video Seven 17" LCD Monitor - Black & silver 1280x1024 with speakers
Video Seven 17" LCD Monitor - Black & silver 1280x1024 with speakers

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent value for money, 29 Sept. 2004
Before I purchased this fantastic 17" tft monitor I was making do with a 14" crt monitor that was well past its best by date.I didn't realise how much till I took a gamble and purchased this tft monitor. It was straight out of the box and plugged in within minutes... the instructions are clear and easy to understand. I cannot praise it enough... everything is so clear and bold and bright... FANTASTIC! The only caveat is that the built in speakers are rubbish... hardly any volume even when turned up to max. Wasn't a problem for me though as I already had speakers... £209 is the cheapest I've found a 17" tft monitor, so don't let the speakers put you off. I heartily recommend this monitor and give it FIVE STARS unreservedly!