Profile for Mr. E. Rhind-Tutt > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
Samsung C300 Orange Pre-Pay Mobile Phone Including £10 Airtime - Black
Samsung C300 Orange Pre-Pay Mobile Phone Including £10 Airtime - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Good basic phone, 8 July 2009
Well, despite its relative cheapness and lack of features, this is the only phone that I have ever owned that has done exactly what was required of it. Absolutely everything worked, the battery life was good, the keypad was comfortable, and call quality was good. People out there looking for a good-quality, cheap phone, buy an SGH-C300. You won't regret it!

Spiral
Spiral
by Kōji Suzuki

5.0 out of 5 stars As good as Ring, 8 July 2009
This review is from: Spiral (Paperback)
The other reviews of this book all seem a little negative, but I enjoyed this fantastic sequel just as much as I enjoyed Ring.
For me, the first part was actually really fantastic. The sheer number of twists in the first couple of hundred pages made it a real rollercoaster.
And the eventual discovery of Sadako's return is a wonderful shock to the core near the end.
As I said with Ring, credit must go to the translator for capturing the magic of Suzuki's writing. I was utterly gripped throughout.
You don't have to read Ring to understand Spiral, but I thoroughly recommend that you do, because it's a really fantastic book!
Please purchase Spiral. You won't regret it.

Ring
Ring
by Kōji Suzuki

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Read, 8 July 2009
This review is from: Ring (Paperback)
I finished this book, and directly after that, I ordered the sequel within minutes. That should tell you something about how much I enjoyed Ring.
The characters are superb, and the plot contains all the twists and turns of a Japanese mountain pass.
Full credit to the translator, too. He has managed to retain much of the tension and thrill of the original Japanese.
I was utterly gripped all the way through this book. It is not shock horror - it relies on the psychological element almost entirely.
The slow, gradual realisation that something really terrible has happened is what makes it so gripping.
It's definitely not horror, but when I told a Japanese friend that I was reading it, she blanched and told me that I was mad and that I would be scared witless.
It shows how different their idea of horror is, I guess.
Anyway, I digress.
It's a really fantasic book, and, whether you're into thriller/horror books or not, I would thoroughly recommend it!

Love Jam
Love Jam

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty Good Album, 8 July 2009
This review is from: Love Jam (Audio CD)
Well, I wouldn't quite call it peerless (for example, many Ayumi Hamasaki albums do surpass it), but I have really enjoyed this album. The first thing I must say is: If you can't stand cute, do NOT buy this. It will be a hateful experience for you. One of the fundamental selling points of Ai Otsuka (seeing as this is the British Amazon, let's leave it the British way, huh?) is that she's very cute. But get past that, and you can start to enjoy some of the really clever tracks on this album.
There are some very good highlights here - Strawberry Jam (LOVING the pronunciation), and Daisuki Dayo (a particular favourite of me and my girlfriend, who is Japanese - its title means 'I love you so much') being by far the best.
But, the best part of this release is actually the DVD section, particularly amusing being the video 'Love's Story' for Daisuki Dayo, which features two CGI rabbits. I watched it myself, then with a Japanese friend, but even she couldn't quite figure out the point.
Anyway, the 'Kingyo Hanabi' film is quite good, too.
It's a slightly rambling review, I know, but overall I would recommend the album to J-Pop fans, if only for the pleasure when you see your friends clocking a CD with a picture of a Japanese girl covered in Jam on it...
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 11, 2009 9:10 PM GMT

My Story
My Story

5.0 out of 5 stars Ayumi Hamasaki no cd wa dai suki desu mo, Mega Ayu Fan-san, 8 July 2009
This review is from: My Story (Audio CD)
What an album! Yet another fantastic showing from Hamasaki! A really polished performance with some truly stunning songs. Although they are all good, ranging from the funkiest rock to the sweetest ballads, my favourites have to be Walking Proud, Winding Road, Hope or Pain, and, the best, MOMENTS. This song is the album highlight. It's an incredibly special song for me. Apart from A COMPLETE ~ALL SINGLES~, it's probably the best Ayu album I own. Thoroughly recommended!!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 9, 2009 6:44 PM BST

3120 Classic (UK, Black)
3120 Classic (UK, Black)

5.0 out of 5 stars Really really good mid-range phone, 8 July 2009
I got my Nokia 3120 Classic in October 2008, needing a 3G phone for travels in Japan. Upon returning, I was so pleased with the phone that I put away my Samsung that I used in England, and went over to the Nokia completely.
For such an inexpensive and light phone, it is absolutely packed with features. 3G connectivity, Bluetooth, 2MP camera with flash (which is actually very good), a good music player, excellent battery life etc.
One thing that I really do want to mention is the fantastic screen. With QVGA (240x320px) resolution and 16M colours, it's as sharp and clear as can be. The backlighting is excellent, which means that sunlight legibility is no problem.
The keypad, too, is very good, with nice tactile feedback.
My only complaint is that it does feel rather plasticky.
But I would thoroughly recommend this phone to anyone!

Kaido Racer 2 (PS2)
Kaido Racer 2 (PS2)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great game!!, 8 July 2009
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Kaido Racer 2 (PS2) (Video Game)
As a huge Japanese car fan, I was very excited to hear about this game, and went and bought it immediately. And I'm so glad that I did. It's really fantastic fun - all of the cars and places that you would expect are there, including some of the truly wierd Japanese cars, and beautiful mountain racecourses.
Gameplay is good too, with the option to race legitimately in the daytime, earning sponsor money, or going 'underground' at night, and taking to the mountain passes in 'battles' with opponents, who wait at the course for you.
As ever with a game produced primarily for the Japanese market, there are a few amusing translation errors, but I'll leave those for you to find out.
The level of tuning and customisation available for the cars, combined with the range of cars available, means that it is possible to create your ultimate racing machine, whatever you taste.
But, let's face it, until you've rammed 500BHP into a Mitsubishi Galant and flung it down a mountain pass, you haven't lived.
Overall, a really fun and thoroughly recommended game!

Moments
Moments
Offered by samurai_media_JPN4UK

5.0 out of 5 stars What a song!, 8 July 2009
This review is from: Moments (Audio CD)
Moments is possibly one of the greatest Ayumi Hamasaki songs of all time. Its beautiful melodies and interesting harmonies, along with its wonderful words (if you don't speak Japanese, a translation is easy to find) make for a really amazing song. The extra tracks are good too. The remix is interesting, the acoustic version is nice, and if you're brave enough, you can even try a little karaoke to the instrumental. Plus mine was the CD+DVD version which came with the music video on the DVD. Definitely the one to have. The video is utterly beauitiful. Overall, a thoroughly recommended product, and utterly deserving of its five stars. Long live the Queen of J-Pop!!

Kodak EasyShare C310 [4.0MP, 5 x continuous digital zoom]
Kodak EasyShare C310 [4.0MP, 5 x continuous digital zoom]

3.0 out of 5 stars Average Camera, 23 Nov 2008
Bought one of these about a year ago and it's done fairly good service. Good for taking quick, easy pictures. Only digital zoom is a big minus point though because the quality of images is reduced drastically.
In general, though, it's a good cheap camera for simple point-and-shoot job.

Samsung J700 Black Mobile Phone on Orange PAYG
Samsung J700 Black Mobile Phone on Orange PAYG

4.0 out of 5 stars Generally Very Good Mobile Phone, 23 Nov 2008
Bought this phone a couple of months ago to replace a Motorola W377 and I've been pretty pleased with it.

I looks good, its menus are sleek, buttons nice and tactile and in general it operates very well. The email feature is nice, and the surface is fairly scratch-resistant.

Complaints? Low-res screen. Oh, and Orange PAYG is very expensive.

Page: 1 | 2