Profile for S. Gilmore > Reviews

AUFODARA 10pcs Washi Masking Tape
AUFODARA 10pcs Washi Masking Tape
Offered by aufodara

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice range of tapes, 11 Mar. 2016
Slow delivery, but good product.

Android Application Development All-in-One For Dummies
Android Application Development All-in-One For Dummies

5.0 out of 5 stars Useful, clear guide to starting Android app development, 11 Mar. 2016
I came to this book with a background in C++ coding (although not an expert) and website development, so knew the basics of coding, but nothing about app development or Java (apart from it being a bit similar to C++). I'd convinced myself that I could learn app development by reading online tutorials, but hadn't got very far before realising I needed something more structured as a guide.

This book is very accessible and easy to read. The author has a nice style (fun without being cheesy), and the book covers everything you need to know to use Android Studio to write an app, connect to a database, upload to Google Play and lots more.

The code samples can be downloaded as Android Studio projects, which is very helpful.

The only criticisms (and they're barely even criticisms really) I had were:

1) It really is 6 books in 1 - which is great, as you get loads of information, but it does mean that it's structured a bit oddly. I felt like a couple of things were covered twice, for example. But nothing is missing, which is the main thing.

2) It doesn't go into much detail on Java. It covers the basics, but there were times when I wasn't sure about something but didn't know whether I had a Java question or an Android question! However, the Java documentation on the Oracle website is very comprehensive, so it wasn't a big deal to go through that and pick up what I needed to know.

3) A couple of times I wasn't sure what was being explained. For example, there is a section on broadcasters and receivers, but I didn't really understand what those are or why I'd want to use them!

EasyAcc 5V 2A Micro USB Charger Mains Charger Wall Charger For Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge S5 S4 S3 Note 3 2 Tab 3, Nokia Lumia 520 1020 920, Moto G, Google Nexus 5 7 10, Android/Windows Smartphones, External Battery, More Micro USB Port Devices [4 Feet Length, Black]
Offered by EasyAcc.U Store

5.0 out of 5 stars Delivered quickly and works well, 18 Nov. 2015
Bought this to use with my Nexus 10 as the original charger was only charging very slowly. Arrived quickly and works well - seems to charge quickly, although that might be just in comparison to my old one... Device reaches full charge in a few hours now.

iPhone 6S Tempered Glass Screen Protector, TeckNet [3D Touch Compatible] Tempered Glass Screen Protector For Apple iPhone 6S and iPhone 6 with 9H Hardness and 96% Transparency
Offered by SPEEDY GOAL LIMITED

5.0 out of 5 stars No problems, 12 Aug. 2013
The screen protectors arrived quickly, sensibly packaged, and fit the screen well - they have little cut-out bits for the camera at the top. A bit hard to apply, but that's probably more because of the screen size than anything in the protectors themselves.

I've only used one so far, but it has lasted fine over the few weeks it's been on the screen.

All in all, a good purchase, no problems.

Etui iPad Gorjuss Ruby
Etui iPad Gorjuss Ruby

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely, cute design, quality cover, 25 Jun. 2013
I have this cover for my Google Nexus 10, and I love it. As it's for iPad, I knew it wouldn't be a perfect fit for the Nexus, but thought it was so cute that I bought it anyway! The Nexus sticks out the top a bit; it is possible to close the cover over, but it sits a bit funny when I do that. Maybe it'll stretch over time. Anyway, I knew that when I bought it, so it's not a complaint - just including it for anyone else who's interested.

The cover is very lightweight, and is well-padded, offering good protection for my device. It looks sturdy, so I expect it to wear well.

Other than that, looks exactly like the photos, and seems to be good quality.

Facebook Application Development For Dummies
Facebook Application Development For Dummies
by Jesse Stay

5.0 out of 5 stars Good, comprehensive overview, 15 Jun. 2011
I've found this book very helpful. I was finding Facebook app development very confusing, after reading the online documentation. This book explains the concepts well - it's still complex, but I don't feel totally baffled now!

It goes from the very basics of how to set up an app on Facebook, and covers the new Graph API, OAuth etc. It's clear and concise; not patronising or overly complicated. There are lots of links to online information - it's in the nature of this kind of book that it will become outdated in time, but the author provides links to places online which are kept updated.

You would need to understand programming to some extent before reading this - it's not a book for someone who has never coded before. But as long as you have the basics of, say, PHP and javascript, it makes sense. It's probably also helpful to read it with a specific application in mind - a lot of the examples are best understood by trying them out!

Overall, definitely worth buying.

How to Do Everything: Facebook Applications
How to Do Everything: Facebook Applications
by Jesse Feiler

4.0 out of 5 stars Covers all aspects of Facebook Applications, 20 Jan. 2010
This book is a guide to Facebook Applications - not just building them. It is in 3 parts... the first is an overview of how applications work in Facebook, which is probably familiar to most people who use Facebook, but still has some helpful information and things that aren't obvious.

Part 2 is about Facebook markup language and API calls etc. It provides a decent introduction, although you would need to have some familiarity with programming - but I guess you would hardly be developing a Facebook app if you didn't. At this point, I wished I had some examples to play with, rather than just reading them.

Part 3 is where it gets into the nitty gritty of actually downloading the client API and building an app. It covers it well, and includes sample code.

Overall, a useful reference, but the first part especially may not be needed if you just want to dive into building an app.

Vax C91-PF1-B-T Cylinder
Vax C91-PF1-B-T Cylinder
Offered by Distinctive Trading

5.0 out of 5 stars Good vacuum cleaner, easy to use, 9 Jan. 2010
This cleaner is good, works well, and has decent suction power. It comes with the usual attachments.

The hose is pretty long, which is good, and the power cable is a decent length as well (and has a 'rewind' button which winds it back in). It wheels around quite freely, and has a carrying handle.

There are no real negatives, although it's a bit noisy, and I found the cylinder mechanism a bit awkward - but then I hadn't read the instructions! It's also slightly heavier than it looks, but still easy enough to carry.

All in all, a good little cleaner.

Canon PowerShot A590 IS Digital Camera (8.0 MP, 4xOptical Zoom) 2.5" LCD
Canon PowerShot A590 IS Digital Camera (8.0 MP, 4xOptical Zoom) 2.5" LCD

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent camera, easy to use, with good features, 30 July 2009
I got this camera as a present, and have been really pleased with it. It's not too big (though big enough that you won't lose it in your bag!), fairly light, and has a good-sized screen as well as a viewfinder (the viewfinder also zooms when you zoom the lens, which is really handy). The only downside in the 'look and feel' section is that the battery/memory card compartment feels a wee bit fragile, although it works fine.

There is an excellent range of shooting options, from 'Easy' mode, where you just point and shoot, and 'Auto' where you have a little more control, but basically still just take the picture and let the camera do the work, up to full control of shutter speed etc. It also has a range of built-in scenes, allowing you to photograph snow, fireworks, kids & pets, sunsets and various other things, with the camera doing the thinking. I can vouch for the quality of the 'foliage', 'sunset' and 'kids & pets' settings, but the 'snow' will have to wait a while!

The time taken to start up is impressive - from pressing 'on' to taking the photo is a matter of a couple of seconds; the time between shots is also good.

Battery life seems good as well - the first batteries I had lasted for a couple of hundred shots (including some movies, and having the camera on to play around with it). It also takes rechargeables, and so far I've had no trouble with it running out of power. The 'battery low' indicator gives you good warning that you'll need to replace them soon.

Picture quality has been good - although I admit I'm not a photographer, I just like taking photos on holiday! But so far I've had no problem with the quality, and 8MP is easily big enough to allow for cropping and zooming before printing.

The only downside is that I would have liked a printed manual, because I enjoy trying out all the features on a new camera, and for that I need the instructions! Having said that, the manual which comes on the CD is good, and I guess I could print it off myself if I wanted to!

Finally, I was impressed to discover that I can change the lens on this camera - the one which comes with it comes off and you can attach others - I haven't tried this, but it's a good feature and I hadn't realised it was included.

Overall, a great camera which works well for both 'point and shoot' snaps and more professional-looking photos. Looks good, feels good, and does the job well.

WHY WERE NOT EMERGENT
WHY WERE NOT EMERGENT
by DEYOUNG & KLUCK

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good review of emergent thinking, 4 Feb. 2009
This review is from: WHY WERE NOT EMERGENT (Paperback)
This book, as the title suggests, is written by a couple of guys who are from the sort of background where they've come into contact with the emergent church - and they explain not only why they are not emergent but also why they believe emergent thinking to be potentially dangerous to the gospel.

The authors take it in turns to speak, with authorship of chapters alternating between them. This gives two very different styles and 'takes', which is quite refreshing - DeYoung is a pastor and his chapters are more theological; Kluck is a journalist and writes more from his own experiences. The book never goes particularly deep, so although there are chapters of theological 'stuff', it's not overly hard to understand.

The book doesn't spend too much time examining what the emerging church is - as it explains, it's difficult to pin that down and even the leaders of the movement have resisted doing so. Instead, the authors generally take quotes from emergent literature and discuss the strengths and flaws that they see in it.

I've never read most of the books they talk about (e.g. Velvet Elvis, Blue Like Jazz etc.), so I can't say whether it's a fair representation of what those say or not, but a lot of what they mentioned as the potential failings of the movement did strike a chord with me as I thought about friends who would describe themselves as emergent. I do think that to get a balanced viewpoint, it would be a good idea to read some emergent-type writing, but this is definitely a useful introduction to the more questionable aspects of some of what the movement has produced.

One thing I didn't like so much about the book (and why I gave it 4 stars and not 5 - would've given 4.5 if I could though) was that at times the tone felt a bit 'snarky'; they seemed to be poking fun at the emergent leaders rather than engaging with its teachings. This wasn't overbearing, but it did come through a few times and seemed a bit harsh.

Overall, a useful introduction to the emerging church and to the potential dangers of wholeheartedly embracing it; if you're really interested in finding out in depth stuff you'd probably need to find a more detailed discussion, but this is a good starting point. It would probably also be fair, as I said above, to balance this account with a more 'pro-emergent' one.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3