Profile for Jane Austen fanatic > Reviews

Content by Jane Austen fa...

Jane Austen fanatic (United Kingdom)

Pride and Prejudice (Wordsworth Classics)
Pride and Prejudice (Wordsworth Classics)
by Jane Austen

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read tale on love and courtship, 26 Dec. 2011
Pride and Prejudice is a sensible novel on love and courtship yet Jane Austens wit and intellect makes it an outstanding read for all ages. Although lacking in romanticism like the Bronte sisters, she creates a setting for realistic romance.
Her storyline may seem a tad fickle at fist but in actual fact as the plot develops so does her deep, misunderstood characters.
Well recommended for light-hearted, fun , romantic read. One for the holidays :)

Northanger Abbey [DVD] [2007]
Northanger Abbey [DVD] [2007]
Dvd ~ Felicity Jones
Offered by DVD Overstocks

5.0 out of 5 stars Mr Tilney - perfection!, 11 Jan. 2010
I was extremley suprised at the standard of this adaption of Northanger especially being an ITV one. I always thought Mr Tilney as the ideal man yet this has increased my admiration of him and I must say he has become my second favourite fictional man - second to Mr Darcy of course. The drama is quite uplifting, humorous and imaginative. Catherine is well cast as a naive, caring and gullible young lady whilst Miss Thorpe is well portrayed as a "gold diger" if you please. I now intend to buy more ITV adaptions of Jane Austen novels- except the miss cast Billie Piper one. Short and sweet is my review as I detest reading obnoxious, egotistical reviews which intend to give the bulk of the story away and go through every character and every minor defect. Therefore people who want a quick review may receive one here.

Persuasion : Complete BBC Adaptation [1995] [DVD]
Persuasion : Complete BBC Adaptation [1995] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Amanda Root
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

3.0 out of 5 stars Captain repulsive Wentworth - Bad teeth and bad manners - unexceptable!, 11 Jan. 2010
I was quite dissapointed by this adaption of Persuasion. I thought it was cast incorrectly with Wentworth being quite repulsive in a variety of ways. I found him neither charming or dreamy which was how he was portrayed in the novel. Neither Elliots were beautiful and most suprising was the ridiculous effort of their father to role his R's. Perhaps all this is due to it having been filmed over 15 years ago but I am deffinetly going to buy the ITV adaption due to my dissatisfaction. BBC has entirely dissapointed me on so many levels. All I can say in its favour is the accuracy of events and speeches.

Our Mutual Friend [DVD] [1998]
Our Mutual Friend [DVD] [1998]
Dvd ~ Paul McGann
Offered by HarriBella.UK.Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars loved it, 6 Jan. 2010
If you are a fan of any Jane Austen novels then I particulary recommmend our mutual friend. Being largely set on society at that period and including two beautiful romances it is by far my favourite piece of Charles Dickens' work. The actors are perfect for their roles and if you fancy a night in with a cup of tea; I suggest this DVD. Dont be put off by reviews from people who continuously like to pick out little things that dont suit their perception of certain characters because I am afraid those people will never be satisfied and there should be no reason as for you not buying this DVD.