Profile for Samantha Jayne > Reviews

Content by Samantha Jayne

Samantha Jayne (Stourbrigde, WM, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
K9Q Nebula Galaxy Space Universe Retro Snap On Hard Case Cover Back Skin Protector For Apple iPhone 5 5G i5 Style A

4.0 out of 5 stars Good quality for the price, 6 Nov. 2014
A really good case for the price and I've had a lot of comments on the design. It is thin but for the money it's a good case.

I Want My Hat Back
I Want My Hat Back
by J. Klassen

5.0 out of 5 stars I adore this book., 16 July 2012
This review is from: I Want My Hat Back (Hardcover)
I have a confession to make. I am not the target market for this book by any means. I am twenty year old but I love this book. My Dad knew I loved this book so he brought it me for Christmas last year and whenever I have a bad day I'll sit down and read it. I've read the book to my six year old sister as well and she loves it because you have a lot of range to create voice for the characters and movements to go with the book.

Torn
Torn
by Cat Clarke

4.0 out of 5 stars Torn Review, 6 July 2012
This review is from: Torn (Paperback)
Cat Clarke is one of the those rare YA authors that actually write truthful books. Books that really hit at your emotions yet feel as though they were written purely for the teen market. You could easily compare her to the likes of Courtney Summers, Laurie Halse Anderson and Joanna Nadin all of whom write brilliantly written young adult fiction.

Torn is Cat's second novel after the wonderfully written Entangled. Torn tells us the story of Alice, a teenagers from London who is hiding a dark and terrible secret. Haunted by the ghost of her old friend Tara and seriously questioning those around her Alice struggles to come to terms with Tara's death and who really caused it.

The book is, simply put, a fantastic read. The character of Alice of the page and you feel so sympathetic to her even after what she involved in. The whole narrative captivates from the start and has you gripped to the book until you finally finish. I was so hooked by this book that I read the whole thing in just a few hours.

Cat's way of writing is simple but at the same time so full of emotions that really pulls at your heart. I found myself loving Alice's character and really wanting her to find closure over Tara's death. Secondary characters such as Alice's best friend Cass, the quiet Rae, more-than-she-seems-to-be Polly and Tara's borther Jack all have thier own voices. You find yourself laughing, crying or wanting to kill them because of their characteristics and voices.

The ending was well thought out and had me desperate for just one more chapter and you really do keep guessing over the whole truth of Tara's death right up until the end of the book.

I really enjoyed this book and actually cannot wait to read it again. Well done Cat, a truly brilliant book.

Original Review: [...]

50 Easy Party Cakes
50 Easy Party Cakes
by Debbie Brown

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Book for Cake Makers, 6 July 2012
This review is from: 50 Easy Party Cakes (Paperback)
I have made cakes for my friends for the past few years and enjoy making them. I have good ideas but find it hard to get the technique right so this book is great for giving you good and easy techniques on how to make great cakes. In the next few weeks I'll be making the Make-Up Bag cake among others. I cannot wait.

The Hunger Games: Songs From District 12 And Beyond
The Hunger Games: Songs From District 12 And Beyond
Offered by Fulfillment Express

4.0 out of 5 stars A Very Impressive Soundtrack, 22 Mar. 2012
I am a big fan of film soundtracks and own countless. Normally a soundtrack has good music but doesn't really connect with the film or it really connect with the film and has pretty dire music that you know you wouldn't put on your MP3. I don't have that problem with The Hunger Games soundtrack at all.

I read the books about a year and half ago and instantly loved them and over the past year I've built up a fairly large music collection just from fanmixes based around THG so I was a bit nervous in hearing this album as I had some pretty high expectations. The first song to be released was Taylor Swift's "Safe and Sound". Now I'm not a Taylor Swift fan at all, if I eve do listen to country I prefer it to be less Pop than Taylor's music but "Safe and Sound", which also features the brilliant The Civil Wars, is a very good song. It captures the feel of the first books pretty much straight away. You can even picture scenes in which it could be played.

One beautiful thing about this album is that the lyrics fit the film and the book so well. 'Just A Game' by Birdy not only reference's Peeta's line about not wanting to be a piece in the Capitol's game but it also includes the lyrics:

Take my hand and my heart races
The flames illuminate our faces
And we're on fire
Blow a kiss to the crowd

These lyrics can remind you so much of the chariot scene from the books. 'Dark Days' by Punch Brothers is another song with lyrics that fit perfectly such as:

Our love will see us through these dark, dark days sister,
'Til it lights the way back home.
Sister, hide our love away.
It can turn the whole world upside down,

I'm so impressed by the writing talent on this album. The overall album is very well put together. Key songs that stand out are 'Safe and Sound', 'Just a Game' by the talented Birdy, Punch Brothers' 'Dark Days', Arcade Fire's 'Abraham's Daughter' and the very surprising 'Come Away to the Water' by Maroon 5 and Rozzi Crane. The producer of the album, T Bone Burnett, deserves a lot of praise for this so well done.

Sinners Never Sleep
Sinners Never Sleep
Offered by Squirrelsounds

5.0 out of 5 stars Sinners Never Sleep Review: Outstanding Progression., 14 Oct. 2011
This review is from: Sinners Never Sleep (Audio CD)
Sinners Never Sleep is the third studio album from Surrey based band You Me At Six. The are a band that I loved since the very beginning so when their third album was announced I was over the moon.

This album has a brilliant vibe to it, it's very much like the first album Take Off Your Colours. While Hold Me Down was an amazing album with several of my favourite tracks it felt quite commercial, it really does pain me to say that as well!, and there were less rock songs on than Take Off Your Colours. Sinners Never Sleep goes back to the original beginning of the band, it even has a few screamo elements. While I'm not a screamo fan I did love it back in the day when the band did a few screamo tracks like the original version of The Rumour.

Sinners is, well it is just an amazing album. The tracks really so call out to you. I know that sounds cheesy but it is true. Josh's lyrics are just stunning. Tracks like Crash, Little Death, When We Were Younger and No One Does It Better are simply out of this world. I just cannot stop listening to this album, I really can't.

An added bonus is the deluxe version of the album which includes the video 'Bite My Tongue'. A documentary about how Sinners was recorded and interviews with the band on how they came to become You Me At Six. The band are brutally honest about their career and success. You see just how much they love the band and how much they care for one another during the film and it really does make me proud to be a Sixer because this band make some of the best music around.

Nobody's Girl
Nobody's Girl
by Sarra Manning

4.0 out of 5 stars Nobody's Girl: Review, 13 Sept. 2011
This review is from: Nobody's Girl (Paperback)
This was the first Sarra Manning book I have read. I've seen her books in my local bookstore for ages but they never really interested until now. I picked up Nobody's Girl becuase I liked the sound of the blurb.

The story revolves around Bea someone who is 'plain, dull and frumpy' (Even though she is into interesting movies, music and culture so she can't be that dull. Believe me, I have dull friends and Bea is, in no way, dull.). Her 'best friend' Ayesha ditched her months before and now Bea has new friends though she herself says they are dull. Suddenly ayesha comes back into Bea life and pulls Bea in with Ruby Davies' 'in crowd'. Ruby swifty becomes Bea greatest dreams but worst nightmare at the same time. Ruby can be vile but she can be sweet, she tells Bea that she has hidden depths and sometimes even gives Bea a rare 'full teeth and gum' smile. They even organise a girly holiday to Spain. It seems like Bea's life is becoming everything she wished it would be...until Ruby's true intentions become clear. Bea leaves, after issueing brilliant revenge, and ends up on a trip to Paris.

That is when her adventure really begins.

I loved this book, i read it in one sitting and cannot wait to read it again. I love the American students that Bea meets. And the romantic interest is brilliant. the ending, set one year after the events of the rest of the sotry is a brilliant touch and you can see just how far Bea has come since the start of the novel.

Salt
Salt

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best tracks off the album., 25 Aug. 2011
This review is from: Salt (MP3 Download)
Elissa is such a talented artisit and this song is simply beautiful and has to be one of my favourites off the album.

Monster
Monster

4.0 out of 5 stars Back on form., 25 Aug. 2011
This review is from: Monster (MP3 Download)
When I heard of Josh and Zac Farro's departure from the band I was heart broken and worried that the band would lose some of the magic that make then great but then they released 'Monster'...It's just a brilliant track. The lyrics are genius as is the melody. I've had it on repeat ever since I downloaded it.

Touch
Touch

5.0 out of 5 stars Such An Incredible Album., 25 Aug. 2011
This review is from: Touch (MP3 Download)
I knew of Elissa Franceschi thyanks to her brother's band You Me At Six (Her brother Josh Franceschi is the lead singer and songwriter fro the band) and also because of her singing on the track 'Always Attract' from You Me At Six's first album Take Off Your Colours. I then heard of her album and knew I had to download it because her voice is simply beautiful. Touch is an INCREDIBLE album. The stand out tracks are certainly 'Below', 'War', '6AM' and 'Touch'. The lyrcis litterally leap out at you and, pardon my pun, tug at your heart strings. I could listen to this album over and over again and never get bored by her music.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6