Profile for C. Holloway > Reviews

Content by C. Holloway

C. Holloway "cholloway" (UK)

Morphy Richards Nesta One-cup Dispense 47130 Filter Coffee Maker
Morphy Richards Nesta One-cup Dispense 47130 Filter Coffee Maker
Offered by Pricelover Deals

3.0 out of 5 stars Average machine with some noticeable flaws., 29 Mar 2013
I can see why this product has good reviews, because if you just put it to one side in the kitchen then not much problem.

However I have an open plan kitchen/living area and the two major irritations of the machine is that the blue backlight you see in the photos is always on even if the machine is not brewing, and since you cannot turn it off at the wall because you then lose your programmed time and timer settings the machine is constantly emitting this blue light. In this day and age when 'everyone' is energy conscious, I think this is a bad design fault. Maybe have the light on when its brewing but it should not be on permanently.

My other niggle is that fact unlike other filter machines that tend to make a racket when brewing but almost lie dormant when keeping the coffee warm, this machine is the opposite. It's almost silent when brewing which is impressive, however due to it's alternative heating system to other machines it makes a noticeable noise once brewed. Like I started with saying, if this machine is out of the way this shouldn't really bother you too much, but since my kitchen worktop and my sofa are only a few metres apart this constant, almost like simmering water sound was terrible.

My other criticisms are the size and shape of the filter holder. Most machines seem to have a simple parabola shaped filter holder, which fits bog standard filter papers so you can get rid of the plastic-y taste of the built in filter and also helps with emptying it. This machine has a smaller round filter holder with a flat bottom which makes using filter papers difficult and means you can't add as much ground coffee as you might like when brewing a full batch.

This then leads me onto my last criticism, that the flavour wasn't overly bold even with the bold setting, and since I like my coffee black and strong, I found I was using much more ground coffee for the few times I used this machine before sending it back. Considering the price of the machine and the price of some decent ground coffee my overall opinion of the machine is not great. Also it has several different compartments inside it which although easy enough to clean, makes filling the water up more hassle than your conventional filter machine.

To sum up:

I think the design in terms of the dispenser is handy but at the cost of the simmering noise keeping the coffee warm inside the machine.
The filter could do with being re-shaped and made larger to accommodate stronger preference of coffee.
The blue backlight needs to go or at least have an option to be turned off.

I was enticed by a cheapish timer filter machine to wake up to fresh coffee, I have now just reverted to a basic £15 filter machine which has none of the above problems to worry about, it just means I have to flick a switch when I get up now.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 22, 2013 1:07 PM BST

No Title Available

2.0 out of 5 stars Not real ipod earphones - good replica though., 25 Jun 2009
Like the title. They aren't actually ipod earphones. Just very realistic looking. The texture give it away, my ipod ones were a lot more comfier and better texture. If your just wanting replacement earphones for an ipod then they are great, if your determined to get official apple ones then these are not the ones for you.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 24, 2010 5:56 PM GMT

De'Longhi ICM60 14-Cup Filter Coffee Machine, Black
De'Longhi ICM60 14-Cup Filter Coffee Machine, Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Great with one minor flaw., 25 Jun 2009
Briefly, the product is great overall.

The only flaw is that the hot plate turns off automatically after a couple of hours. For me this is a nuisance because i like to brew my coffee, have a cup or two, go to college, come back and pour another cup at lunch etc, then go back to college or to work for a few more hours and be able to come back and drink another cup without waiting for it to brew. It may not be an issue if you just use it once a day or whatever. For me it is.

The positives on the other hand; Great looking, when cleaned after purchase - makes a great cup of coffee, especially with the aroma setting, the large carafe is handy, and does not spill everywhere when its being poured - my old coffee machine spilt everywhere, everytime. It's easy to fill up, no little gap to get water into - its got a huge space to fill up, the filter has a little handle to pull it out with (little things are always helpful), the chlorine filter isn't needed where i live but for anyone living in an area where water is not quite drinkable, i'm sure it would help. It beeps when it's finished brewing, like a microwave.

But to top it all. The best feature is the timer function. Woke up today with my coffee already brewed, ready to drink. Perfect. It's easy to set up and get working.

Except for the hotplate turning itself off it's great.

Prospekt's March
Prospekt's March
Offered by MUSIC2000UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent., 15 Mar 2009
This review is from: Prospekt's March (Audio CD)
I bought the double album, this with Viva la Vida, a couple of days ago and I am absolutely thrilled with it.

Life in Technicolor ii is brilliant, as is Glass of Water, Lost+, the Osaka Sun Remix etc. Well worth investing in.