ARRAY(0xac23f514)

Profile for M. N. Walsh > Reviews

Content by M. N. Walsh

M. N. Walsh (Helsinki, Finland)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Original Album Series
Original Album Series
Price: 10.69

3.0 out of 5 stars First three albums great; last two not, 1 Jan 2014
This review is from: Original Album Series (Audio CD)
I was torn between giving this three and four stars. In the end I decided on three because I already had the third album and thus was forced to make a decision based on the fact that for me the first two albums are very good (not all the tracks, but enough of them) whereas the last two albums are not.

So despite the good price for the set which was pushing me in the direction of four stars, the fact that I shall only be listening again to half the albums makes it three.

It's difficult to put into words why the first two albums (and the third) are good but I suspect it's because there are some beautiful renditions of modern classic songs whereas the last two albums in the set tend towards Muzak with nothing memorable.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 31, 2014 9:08 AM GMT

Have a Nice Day: A Journey Through Obama's America
Have a Nice Day: A Journey Through Obama's America
by Justin Webb
Price: 8.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Avoid if you want the usual foreign correspondent book about the country he reports on, 1 Jan 2014
I like books by foreign correspondents reporting on the odd idiosyncracies of the country they are stationed in. I've read and enjoyed books by an Italian posted to the UK; a German posted to Sweden and a Finn posted to Russia. All take the point of view of a foreigner reporting on the oddities of a country he/she is temporarily living in.

When I saw this book in a UK bookshop on a trip to the UK - heavily reduced to virtually nothing - I did a quick check of a couple of pages; found they were the expected "Americans are odd" and bought it.

I found it very hard going because most of the book was about how they are NOT odd and the prose wasn't therefore the usual light-hearted kind of thing you expect in such books (by foreign correspondents) as justifying oddities requires a lot more serious effort than just pointing them out. However I'd paid all of 2 for it so I plowed on expecting sometime to find a glimmer of hope instead I found him for instance feeling that the following (for me) oddity made perfect sense.

He was on a train approaching the station in Washington, DC when there was the usual announcement about the next station "Next station is ..." only it wasn't, instead it was "Welcome to Washington, Capital of the Free World".

Clearly a foreign correspondent that feels that that statement is completely normal is either mad or has gone native. I'll be generous and assume the latter which is why I will not be recommending this book to anyone (US americans excluded).

Acer TravelMate B113-E 11.6-inch Laptop (Intel Celeron 1007U 1.5GHz Processor, 2GB RAM, 320GB HDD, LAN, WLAN, BT, Webcam, Integrated Graphics, Windows 8)
Offered by Kikatek
Price: 313.02

3.0 out of 5 stars Neither of the two previous reviews are for the B113-E they are attached to!, 15 Dec 2013
I came here looking for comments on the Acer Travelmate B113-E which is the product listed and which local information says is *dual-boot* Windows 7 / Windows 8

How come therefore both reviews are of a 5nn model?

The Best of Matt 2013
The Best of Matt 2013
by Matthew Pritchett
Price: 5.03

2.0 out of 5 stars Very very small and thin - thus overpriced, 14 Dec 2013
This review is from: The Best of Matt 2013 (Paperback)
We have a fair number of the Giles annuals at home and as those these days of necessity are only compilation albums of selected pieces from earlier years I decided instead to go for this Matt 2013 collection as something similar but modern.
I should have looked more carefully at the size information (if those were in fact given) as this is a mini book with not that many pages either. Nowhere near the size of the Giles annuals of old.
If I'd seen it in a shop I wouldn't have bought it - it's just too small and insignificant to be the present I intended it to be.
Even from marketplace suppliers it's also way overpriced.

Braquo Season 1 & 2 [Blu-ray]
Braquo Season 1 & 2 [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Jean-Hugues Anglade
Price: 19.65

3.0 out of 5 stars Subtitles annoying, 13 Nov 2013
This I suppose is the problem with buying foreign language DVDs/Blu-Rays of TV series from Amazon UK.
Buying from Amazon France there's a good chance that you get a menu-based option of no subtitles or French subtitles. Buying from Amazon UK you get presumably what was shown on UK television - French sound and compulsary English titles (again brighter than I'm used to from countries where sub-titles appear on most things).

There is no choice here. You can't turn them off. For starters there is no menu for Audio or Subtitles just for Episode selection. At first I thought that if I had a player with a Subtitle button on the remote that I could get rid of the subtitles that way but I tried that with a friend's new player with such a subtitle button and clicking it had no effect.

I.e. Whatever player you have you will get the French dialog and bright (and slightly too large) English subtitles to distract you and tak up far too much of the screen.

The TV series itself is fine i.e. it's the packaging that is wrong.

Fringe: The Complete Season 1-5 [Blu-ray] [2013] [Region Free]
Fringe: The Complete Season 1-5 [Blu-ray] [2013] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Anna Torv
Price: 47.50

4.0 out of 5 stars Be careful if you buy 1-5 on the basis of seeing a single season, 13 Nov 2013
I bought this box set in Blu-Ray after coming across a very cheap DVD box set of season three. Having seen the first episode Of that I thought so much of the idea that decided to buy the full Blu-Ray set right away to see all the episodes in best quality.
Needless to say (if you have read the title I gave for this review) when I saw Episode one of Season One there's wasn't much similarity to Season three episode one!
It so far has been a different kind of Sci-Fi but still interesting just not as much as I thought it would be based on my seeing S3 E1.
Extremely high marks for the box surrounding the individual Blu-Ray disks, though. Usually I just throw such boxes away and keep just the individual disks but for this box I've made an exception.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 31, 2013 9:14 AM GMT

20 Classic Albums [Audio CD] Dave Brubeck
20 Classic Albums [Audio CD] Dave Brubeck
Offered by skyvo-direct
Price: 22.58

5.0 out of 5 stars Very tastefully done, 13 Nov 2013
I don't know about you, but while I love a bargain (and twenty albums for this price is surely that), I always hate it if such a set is packaged badly.
That could be because the sound is terrible or because in order to fit the 20 albums onto a much smaller number of CDs they have included say parts of one album on two different CDs or the equally normal "let's create a new set of covers for the sleeves.
Here I'm glad to say they have done everything right. The sound is re-mastered; they fill two full original albums on each CD (which means they have apparently selected which two albums go together on the basis of the total length rather than any common theme which may irritate you - for me this was OK); and each sleeve cover under a set heading contains pictures of the two albums and nothing else.
There's a thin booklet too which however just repeats the track titles and adds full dates, locations and players.
All is packed into a small but solid (and equally tasteful box).
In other words well done to the team responsible for this re-issue of 20 original albums which I bought despite having about a quarter of the albums on CD already (some of my single CDs have additional bonus tracks - here you get the original albums only which agin doesn't bother me).

Supernatural - Season 1-7 Complete [Blu-ray] [2012] [Region Free]
Supernatural - Season 1-7 Complete [Blu-ray] [2012] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Jared Padalecki
Offered by skyvo-direct
Price: 92.92

3.0 out of 5 stars Curious that this Blu-Ray 1-7 cost 30 more than Blu-Ray 1-8, 10 Oct 2013
Both prices today at Amazon UK and both marked as normal prices with no reductions.

Clearly if you are interested in this you should look for the set with 1-8 and buy that instead.

The Bomber [DVD]
The Bomber [DVD]
Dvd ~ Ekaterina Astahova
Offered by Direct-Offers-UK-FBA
Price: 2.35

3.0 out of 5 stars Sub-titles too large and too bright, 26 Sep 2013
This review is from: The Bomber [DVD] (DVD)
I live in a country (Finland) where everything made elsewhere has subtitles so I'm very accustomed to watching films and then have my eye wander down the screen to read them when I need clarification of the meaning of the audio for languages I am weak in. So I wondered why I found the subtitles to this film extremely annoying (meaning that I wasn't paying enough attention to the audio because they were in effect 'drowning' it out.) Finally I realised they were far too bright and when I started to tell my wife about them she said they were too large which is also true.
This won't disturb you so much if you have no Russian at all but if you are plan to use this film as a language aid then beware (or cover up the bottom quarter of the screen).
The subtitles won't bother you when (real) German is being spoken because (warning: i'm only part way through the film so this comment refers to so far) they don't bother providing subtitles for the German.

Edge of War (DVD)
Edge of War (DVD)
Dvd ~ Sergey Garmash
Price: 3.55

4.0 out of 5 stars Well worth watching once you ignore the description on the box, 26 Sep 2013
This review is from: Edge of War (DVD) (DVD)
I found this film very well worth watching. Luckily from previous comments I knew to ignore the description on the box

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5