Profile for Daveyboy2012 > Reviews

Content by Daveyboy2012

Daveyboy2012

Dreamfall: The Longest Journey Limited Edition (PC DVD)
Dreamfall: The Longest Journey Limited Edition (PC DVD)

1.0 out of 5 stars Dreamfall Issues - inadequate Funcom Support, 2 July 2011
I bought the limited edition box set of "The Longest Journey", "Dreamfall - The Longest Journey" and the cd soundtrack & booklet.
I played the original game - The Longest Journey - no problems on Windows XP. However when I successfully installed "Dreamfall" the copyright accreditation software (StarForce) didn't recognise the disc as an original and requested a Disc Key. The former distributor Empire used to provide the required Disc Key when this issue used to arise (which it frequently does with the Windows version), however they are no longer around so I contacted Funcom. I was advised to return the disc to the retailer, however most retailers will not refund if a box set has been opened & used and the disc is neither damaged or defective. I requested a Disc Key & was advised that they are not able to provide replacement keys at this time.
I've trawled through online forums to find that a huge number of people have this issue on, I have also tried many suggested remedies, all to no avail.
I have contacted StarForce who will see if there's anything they can do, if successful I'll try to post the solution.
So anyone who downloads a pirated version can happily play Dreamfall whereas many of us who paid for the fully licensed version are blocked from doing so.
It seems to me that Funcoms' inadequate support service is not going to help the industry to encourage people to pay good money for original, licensed games.
So by all means buy Funcom games, just be aware that if there's an issue you might be on your own.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 26, 2014 6:54 PM BST