Profile for Movetotheleft > Reviews

Movetotheleft

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Case-Mate Tough Case for Sony Xperia Z1 Compact - Black
Case-Mate Tough Case for Sony Xperia Z1 Compact - Black
Offered by total digital stores

5.0 out of 5 stars Fits like a glove, 2 Aug 2014
I've used a couple of Case-Mate Tough cases for smartphones over the years and I have never had a problem (like I have with cheaper products or an Otterbox for a Galaxy S3). This fits like a glove and provides the protection that I have come to expect from the brand.

The patterned rear provides a bit of grip, the inner silicone rim that goes around the phone inside the harder shell gives me the impression that it will help ensure that my phone is provided with adequate protection. There aren't any drawbacks that I can see for me as a user but be aware that the magnetic charger point on the side is covered and I believe that you would not be able to charge this way with this case so it might not be suitable for you....

I would definitely recommend this product.

Ultimate Shield Premium Tempered Glass Screen Protector for Sony Xperia Z1 Compact
Offered by Ultimate Shield

5.0 out of 5 stars Great screen protector., 2 Aug 2014
I purchased this before my Sony Xperia Z1 Compact arrived alongside the CaseMate Tough having followed the advice of one of the other reviewers of this shield.

I applied it directly to my new phone as soon as I peeled-off the scratch protecting piece of film that it came with. That ensured that there was no dust, I also did it in the bathroom as instructed to reduce the risk of dust. It went on perfectly - no bubbles at all and provides and excellent screen protection. I hadn't used my phone before applying the shield so I don't know whether it changes the sensitivity - I presume not as the screen sensitivity is perfect.

I have often bough screen protectors for about £2/3 (they eventually peel-off and have to be replaced), but this was well worth the extra money for the protection and the finish that it provides.

I ordered it on Saturday night and it arrived Tuesday - great delivery time.

Pocket Rough Guide Istanbul (Pocket Rough Guides)
Pocket Rough Guide Istanbul (Pocket Rough Guides)
by Terry Richardson

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent pocket guide to a great city, 10 Jun 2014
We bought this guide for a three day break in Istanbul. As we were there a short time only we didn't want to spend much more than a fiver and had used Rough Guide books and found them very good in the past.

It was great for transport, places to eat (and some excellent Turkish coffee places!) and things to see. It has the rough outlines of historical things and cultural things to experience. As always, Rough Guides give a good overview of the place you're visiting and throw-in some little gems as well that you would be lucky to just stumble upon. The pull-out map was very handy.

We did spend a bit of time researching what we wanted to see and this book really helped us get to those places and get around while we were there. It was very lightweight and didn't take up much space of our small bag.

Duronic HDS3 Mini 3 Port Gold HDMI Auto Switch PIANO BLACK 3x1 (3 way input 1 output HDMI Switcher)
Offered by DURONIC

4.0 out of 5 stars Just what I needed, 10 Jun 2014
I recently purchased a Google Chromecast and had already run-out of HDMI ports. I took a chance on this product and it has worked fine. I have left my Freesat box connected directly to my TV and now have the Blu Ray, Chromecast and X-Box all connected through the Smart Switch.

I've not noticed any loss of picture quality. The build is OK - sturdy enough and the HDMI slots fit the cables well. All in all it does exactly what I need and is of a reasonable price.

**EDITED** After a couple of months of use this still works absolutely as new, although it doesn't 'automatically detect' and switch between X-Box and Bluray player and therefore I have to reach around to the back of the TV to cycle through the options by pressing the button. Not really a problem but I'm sure that some will consider it an annoyance.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion - Game of the Year Edition (Xbox 360)
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion - Game of the Year Edition (Xbox 360)
Offered by AllGoodDealz

5.0 out of 5 stars Months of fun!, 1 Jun 2014
I had never played any role-playing games before but had Skyrim bundled with by Xbox 360. When I finally got around to playing it I got more and more into it and got the Dawnguard and Dawnguard add-ons. I must have been playing it for months before I finally got around to finishing-off most of the quests. Instead of looking around for other of the latest games, I bought this. There are obviously many similarities with the more recent game in The Elder Scrolls and Oblivion.

I've been playing this for a few weeks already and it has taken-over much of my free time. It has incredible depth and millions of choices that you can make about the character and story development. I cannot possibly imagine what amount of work went into creating this incredible game with the attention to detail. I love this game and without a doubt I would buy any other add-ons or stand alone games that they produce.

9V ac/dc Mains uk plug Power Adaptor for Magicbox Clarus DAB/FM Digital Radio
9V ac/dc Mains uk plug Power Adaptor for Magicbox Clarus DAB/FM Digital Radio
Offered by dyysells

5.0 out of 5 stars Replacement plug for Magicbox Clarus, 26 April 2014
Does exactly what it was bought for - to replace the broken plug on my Marks and Spencer Digital Internet Radio (a rebadged Magicbox Clarus). Not as unwieldy and heavy as the original and therefore probably less likely to see the casing fall apart.

Lonely Planet Italy (Travel Guide)
Lonely Planet Italy (Travel Guide)
by Lonely Planet

5.0 out of 5 stars As comprehensive as you could expect!, 10 April 2014
In our first couple of visits to Italy over the last two years we went to Tuscany, Umbria, north Lazio and Rome. We used the Rough Guide for Tuscany and Umbria and the Lonely Planet Rome - both were very good. For planning a trip to a wider area (Bologna,Verona, Lake Garda and on to Milan) and subsequent travel we bought the LP Italy. We have used LP for several other trips and have found them to be as good as any, particularly for the wider area guides rather than city guides and this is no different.

It is excellent for a bit of a potted history of the places that we visited and gives a general introduction - certainly excellent for general places to visit, traveling / transport tips and places to eat. You can't expect everything to be absolutely correct as it is a huge amount of information and business change etc, some of the things like prices and opening times differ from the book on occasions, it does also pay to check ahead to confirm details via the internet if you have the opportunity but this book is pretty comprehensive.

It also included a pull-out Rome map, which is I believe the same one that we had in the LP Rome book.

I would certainly be confident in accuracy to use it for further trips to Italy (we absolutely love the country, history, culture, and people!) and would probably stick with just this book than buying any more of the specialist regional versions that they also produce. I always find that tourist information places and car hire places give good detailed local maps and would use those to top-up this book if necessary. I would also recommend the Lonely Planet Italian Phrasebook - a little goes a long way when it comes to trying to speak Italian to locals!

Lonely Planet Rome (Travel Guide)
Lonely Planet Rome (Travel Guide)
by Lonely Planet

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book for planning - a bit bulky to carry around with us!, 9 Feb 2014
We bought this book specifically for planning a trip to Rome. Having seen the number of pages and the dimensions we knew that the book was bulky so it wasn't a surprise when it arrived.

As Rome is a city that you will explore mainly on foot, traveling light is important. I would highly recommend this book to give you all the background on planning your visit - things like opening times of sites and museums, information on buying tickets and passes, overviews of the areas of Rome, places to eat, shop, traveling from point A to B. You will probably leave this at your accommodation in the day and use either a pocket book (I've not seen the Lonely Planet pocket guide but they are usually OK) or one of the many free maps and leaflets that you can pick-up at the airport and around the city.

I enjoyed the quick summaries of the history and culture of Rome, it is a good pointer for further reading. I would definitely recommend this book for planning a trip to Rome - there is a lot to cram-in in this amazing city and the Lonely Planet Rome helps you get a good orientation before you even get there. If you've used LP books before and found them useful then you will have no problems with this one.

The Wolf of Wall Street
The Wolf of Wall Street
by Jordan Belfort

3.0 out of 5 stars Saw the film first then read the book., 5 Feb 2014
I saw the film without having read the book. It was a fairly good film - typically Scorsese with the music selection and the cinematography although I thought it was a little too long. Di Caprio was very good, as were the supporting actors, many of whom I hadn't really seen before.

I instantly bought the Kindle of the edition and ploughed straight through it. To cut to the chase, it is the autobiography of a guy who makes his millions through a stock broking / investment banking set-up which was immoral at best and downright illegal at worst. I was hoping that it would be a rags-to-riches and back to rags sort of book and fill-in some of the blanks that you expect from a film. It was however somewhat missing - you get the drug abuse, parties, debauched behaviour by his peers and employees and the illegal trading, but you don't get the story of how it all happened - in fact it gavies less of a picture than the film, usually it is the other way around.

Many of the anecdotes from the film are included in the book but they tend to become a little tiring repeated time and time again. When he describes his Rolex or cars, parties, houses, conquests in the bedroom (or wherever it takes his fancy!) it is without any sort of irony or sense that it will wear thin to the reader. It doesn't feel that there is any remorse from the author for the lives that his company ruined by selling worthless stock, the pension funds that might have been hit etc.

I wouldn't suggest reading if easily offended due to the bad language it contains - it doesn't bother me but each to their own. Overall it was OK, perhaps as a tale of greed and debauchery it was interesting - not greatly written but if you enjoyed the film the chances are you might enjoy the book. I don't think passing a moral judgement of an individual is a valid category on which to judge a book - the 3 stars represent that is is an interesting read and I've not read any accounts of broker millionaires before, if I was to award a points based on the antagonist/protagonist Jordan Belfort it would be a 1 star!

Panasonic SC-PMX9DBEBS 120W Micro System with Integrated Dock for iPod and iPhone
Offered by Let's GO digital

4.0 out of 5 stars Very pleased so far, 15 Dec 2013
I have recently purchased the Panasonic SA-PMX9DBEBS (which is the model number on the front of unit rather than than the one in the listing - not sure there is any difference) specifically for a reasonably small room.

I bought this without hearing it in action - bit of a risk (and there is a lack of reviews - the What Hi Fi only came-out after I bought it and gave it a solid review) but I managed to listen to the Panasonic PMX7 (the same without WI-FI function). The sound on the model I tried was very good so I expected that this would be the same but with the additional connectivity features and that seems about right. I've had it set-up a couple of days and although you usually have to 'run the speakers in' it sounds very good and more than enough for my needs in this room.

I would have expected that there would have been an Internet Radio function but there doesn't seem to be. No real worry though, I have the BBC iPlayer app and other internet radio apps for my Samsung Galaxy S3 and the Bluetooth set-up was easy (just select the 'Bluetooth' option on the unit, turn your phone's Bluetooth, scan on the phone and it will pair without any pin number etc). I'm enjoying the Danny Baker podcast as I type and it is crystal clear! Internet connection was completed through WPS - press the button the router and away you go (it can of course be done manually).

I thought that there might be an option to connect my slightly older iPod touch on the dock, but it only seems to be a 'Lightening Connector' and so I'm relegated to connecting it through the front USB port. It charges OK but I've not got to grips with using the remote to control it though albums and get the display on the unit's LCD.

It has and it has the options of preset equalisers and the Bass and Treble knobs on the front and has given me a good warm sound with spoken word radio and music alike. I've used my usual 'reference CDs' of Radiohead's "The Bends", Alt J's "An Awesome Wave", Stone Roses' "Turns into Stone" and AC/DC's "If You Want Blood You've Got it". All sounded nice and beefy / clear / warm / punchy as I hope each would be.

It comes with a DAB aerial and picked-up 41 stations, more than good enough and around the same as any of the other DAB radios in the house. I even set-up the FM and that sounds very good as well. The CD is fine without a noisy mechanism and delivers a good sound.

I also own the Marantz CR610 paired with Q Acoustics 2010i - a superb set-up but a few hundred quid more than my new Panasonic (which I bought from the Amazon Warehouse). There isn't quite the polished feel of the Marantz set-up with this Panasonic and included speakers but the sound quality is at the higher end of what you would expect for the price. I bought it through the Amazon Warehouse for about a hundred and fifty quid less than 'full price' and it came as exactly as new and doesn't look like it has ever been unboxed.

Overall - I'm very satisfied so far. Only loses a point for the lack of Internet Radio (which perhaps you would expect as it has wi-fi) and the unintuitive iPod controls, but otherwise it is packed with features and the sound is clear and warm enough.

**UPDATE** I purchased the WD MyCloud 3TB networked hard drive. I set this up on my home network (which was as easy as following the simple instructions to connect the WD MyCloud to my wireless router with the included network cable and download the WD software). I downloaded the Panasonic Music Stream app from the Play store and this is what is used to control the networked music on the stereo - I don't think that you can use the Panasonic remote control to do this - if you can I haven't figured a way out yet but it works OK as it is. It works absolutely fine and was perhaps easier to set-up than I expected - I get easily frustrated with technology and that is usually my own fault for not reading the instructions properly!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4