Profile for Escape from Realities > Reviews

Content by Escape from Re...
Top Reviewer Ranking: 249

Escape from Realities "NL" (UK)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Our Endless Numbered Days
Our Endless Numbered Days

3.0 out of 5 stars good read, 11 April 2016
I did enjoy this book from the beginning. I didn't quite know where it was going at the beginning, it took me a while to get use to the different chapters or paragraphs telling different parts of the story from the past to the present and back again.

The characters where well developed especially Peggy and her father James. I have to admit I am was a little confused about the Rebuean aspect of the story and still am about parts.

I thought this story line was handled really well. Her Mother Ute did get on my nerves with how she dealt with things from the very beginning, She wasn't my favourite person in the book at all. I would recommend this book to a friend.

The Girl on the Train
The Girl on the Train
by Paula Hawkins

4.0 out of 5 stars Recommend this, 11 April 2016
This review is from: The Girl on the Train (Hardcover)
Originally posted [...]

I can see why this is a Goodreads Choice Winner for 2015.

At the beginning of the book, I didn't think I was going to like it and thought it was slow and uneventful. But after getting 76 pages into it, it really picked up.

It was incredibly good and I couldn't put it down and finished it in 1 day.

I liked the topics which were dealt with Depression, Alcoholism and Domestic Abuse and how realistically, in my opinion, they were dealt with.

This is a thriller I would highly recommend to anyone. I could NOT put it down.

I liked pretty much every character from the beginning, except Megan and Scott. We didn't really get a story for Megan until quite near the end of the book, and though I felt sorry for what Scott was going through I still couldn't like him. There is something I can not put my finger on about him.

I didn't give this book a 5 because of the slow start but everyone who likes who's done it and thrillers should read this book

Filofax Personal Identity Organiser - Black
Filofax Personal Identity Organiser - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 5 April 2016
I take this everywhere with me and it hasn't shown and sign of wear or tear

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland (Wisehouse Classics - Original 1865 Edition with the Complete Illustrations by Sir John Tenniel)

3.0 out of 5 stars I liked it, 5 April 2016
Originally posted: [...]

I did really enjoy the beginning and middle of this story I wasn’t so keen on the way in which it ended. I would probably look at this differently if I hadn’t seen the film and TV adaptitions for this story first. Even though I knew that it all ended with her back in her family surroundings, I felt it was rather abrupt in the story for. I would recommend reading the story if you have just seen the films, as the adaptions have been really good and stuck mostly to the plot line.

That being said I did love all the characters and they were all exactly as I remember ed them being from what I have seen of the story and everything was very well discribed and set for me. I actually felt like I was there watching this story unfold.

I will be trying to read other versions to see how they differ from this on, especially the longer versions. . I am looking forwardto re reading this story in the near future, including after reading A story of Alice.

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone: Illustrated Edition (Harry Potter Illustrated Editi)
by J.K. Rowling

5.0 out of 5 stars gorgeous book, 11 Dec. 2015
Absolutely gorgeous illustrations. A book any new or old harry potter fan should get

WWE
WWE

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 11 Dec. 2015
This review is from: WWE (App)
good app for streaming the network

The Complete Robot (Robot Series)
The Complete Robot (Robot Series)
by Isaac Asimov
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 stars, 11 Dec. 2015
Really good thought provoking short stories

The Body Under the Bridge (A Father Gilbert Mystery)
The Body Under the Bridge (A Father Gilbert Mystery)
by Paul McCusker

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 2 Dec. 2015
Originally posted on escapefromrealities.com

☆☆☆☆.5

** I was sent this book via NetGallery in Exchange for a honest review **

Description:
A former Scotland Yard detective, Father Gilbert knows about death. But, now a priest of a modest Anglican church in the small town of Hailsham, he didn't expect it to show up like this--in the suicide of a man who threw himself off the church tower, and in the discovery of a two-hundred-year-old body beneath an ancient bridge.

The deaths are linked. The mummified corpse under the bridge, a murder victim, reignites a centuries-old battle between two local families--the Todds and the aristocratic Hayshams. Then both David Todd and Lord Haysham begin to act strangely, fearful for reasons they won’t explain.

When Lord Haysham is murdered, David Todd is the prime suspect. But Todd is maniacal, claiming great forces of evil are at work. An entire history of violence and depravity begins to emerge, interweaving the history of several local families with a secret occult society that engages in Black Masses. Has the Society emerged again

My Thoughts:
I read the description of this book on NetGallery and decided to request this book for review. What grabbed my attention was the ‘Former Scotland Yard Detective” character in the story. I am a sucker for all things crime and police related in a story. I didn't know what I would think about the story surrounding a priest and a church but I thought I’d give it a go anyway.

This book for me was so different, mixing crime with paranormal and also with religious subjects. I really enjoyed it. The characters where really likeable and apart from Mary Ashton, who I really didn't like, I didn't dislike any of the others.

Paul McCusker is a very good author and even though I didn't picked this book up in a while, due to personal reasons, the minute I picked it back up again, I could just jump right into it as if I had never put it down.

Overall:
I would recommend this book to any body who likes Crime books or Paranormal books.

The Beast of Barcroft
The Beast of Barcroft

4.0 out of 5 stars LOVED THIS, 17 Nov. 2015
**ACTUAL RATING 4.5**

** I received this book from Netgallery in exchange for an honest review **

Description:

Ben McKelvie believes he’s moving up in the world when he and his fiancée buy a house in the cushy Washington, D.C., suburb of Barcroft. Instead, he’s moving down—way down—thanks to Madeleine Roux, the crazy neighbor whose vermin-infested property is a permanent eyesore and looming hazard to public health.

First, Ben’s fiancée leaves him; then, his dog dies, apparently killed by a predator drawn into Barcroft by Madeleine’s noxious menagerie. But the worst is yet to come for Ben, for he’s not dealing with any ordinary wild animal. This killer is something much, much worse. Something that couldn’t possibly exist—in this world.

Now, as a devilish creature stalks the locals, Ben resolves to take action. With some grudging assistance from a curator at the Smithsonian’s National Zoo and the crackpot theories of a self-styled cryptozoologist, he discovers the sinister truth behind the attacks, but knowing the Beast of Barcroft and stopping it are two different animals.

My Thoughts:

I absolutely loved this book, it was scary, gruesome and different all in one and I cant wait to read more by this author. I flew through this book and read it in about 1 day.

Ben felt very real to me, what I mean is what he was going through felt to me like something everyone would go through in his circumstance and isn’t over exaggerated in anyway throughout the book. I loved Lindsey, which brought a LGBT element to the story. At first I thought the relationship with Ben and Lindsey was going to go a way I didn’t want it to but I became ok with how it went at the end of the story. I really liked the way ben was written in the story to handle the information when he found out. He was ok with it straight away and never changed anything in the relationship between them,

The writing was so easy to read and made me feel like I was there, I could clearly Imagine everything that was happening and I really like when a book does that for me and I can truly escape in to it.

Overall:

I would recommend any one who likes paranormal horror types of books. I have requested his next book straight away from net gallery to read that one as I cant wait till its out and Im also going to be checking out Bill’s first book ‘Slipping the Cable’, as soon as I can
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 17, 2015 3:34 PM GMT

Dark Tower I: The Gunslinger: The Gunslinger (The Dark Tower Book 1)
Dark Tower I: The Gunslinger: The Gunslinger (The Dark Tower Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars really god, 23 Oct. 2015
** REVIEW ON http://escapefromrealities.com **

I really liked this book although it did confused me in some places. I thought there was always something I was missing and had to re read certain parts. I will probably have to re read this book again. I think there may be something about Stephen King writing that makes it slightly harder for me to get into. I am going to look at carrying on with this series,maybe giving this book a 2nd read before doing to make sure I fully understand what is going on. Roland was a good character and I liked that we got quite a bit of his background in the story. I will probably do a better more detailed review once I have re-read it. I still give it a 4 star rating though as the bits i understood where really good.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4