Profile for jpkrc > Reviews

Content by jpkrc

jpkrc

Extendable Selfie Stick by CamKix® - With Universal Phone Holder Suitable for iPhone, Samsung, and Other Devices up to 3.25 Inches in Width - Fully Adjustable Handheld Monopod 11" - 40" - Light, Compact, and Easy to Carry With You (Black with Remote)
Offered by ECO-FUSED UK

Rokono® BASS+ Mini Speaker for iPhone / iPad / iPod / MP3 Player / Laptop - Black
Offered by Gadget Hunter

4.0 out of 5 stars Does the job, 7 Jan. 2015
Arrived in time and appears to work well as advertised. My daughter uses it all the time.

Micro Scooter White
Micro Scooter White
Offered by Micro Scooters Ltd

3.0 out of 5 stars The folding block bolts shear off., 8 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Micro Scooter White (Toy)
We have owned a Micro White scooter since Dec 2012 (it is now Dec 2014). It is used most weekdays by my 12 year old daughter to travel to and from school, a total distance of 4 miles. We have had problems with the scooter. Several friends with the same scooter have had the same problems - hence my review.

3 stars (really 2.5 stars) because:
- when it was new it looked good, felt robust, and gave a nice smooth ride;
- the people at the company are helpful.

I retain 2.5 stars because:
- it is proving a high maintenance vehicle for us (details below);
- certain design/engineering aspects of the vehicle are inadequate (imho);
- the company does not acknowledge the problems, instead stipulating an unrealistic maintenance schedule which people are unlikely to know about before they purchase the scooter, and unlikely to follow afterwards.

I short, I would not recommend this scooter and am considering changing to another scooter. Friends with children at the same school who have had similar problems have made similar comments to me and/or have already changed to scooters which are much more robust in design and require a more realistic level of maintenance.

The main problem I refer to is shearing off of the bolts which attach the folding block to the deck. This has happened twice to us in the last 6 months (we are now out of warranty) and also to several friends' scooters. We have also had a fracturing off of the brake and loss of push buttons as well as more general wear-and-tear type maintenance.

The company told me that bolts can shear off if they become at all loose. They said that as with any vehicle with moving parts you should expect to have to do lots of maintenance. Although the bolts are fixed with a blue fixing product, yes they can still work loose. The company stipulates (in a tiny font) on page 8 of the owners manual to "Check screws at least every 3 weeks and tighten them. Always use screw securing agent." In our case this was not read until it was too late and was anyway an unrealistic maintenance schedule for us. Typically we might notice if the folding block became loose and then tighten and fix the bolts. However, a loose folding block can occur (it did to us) after one of the bolts has already sheared and the block is held by the remaining three bolts. The first time this happened to us, we replaced the folding block and missing bolts which took about 2 weeks total and cost £20 or so. The second time, we managed to remove the sheared bolt by making a shallow slot in its exposed end with a screwdriver and unscrewing it, using WD40 to help ease it out.

IMHO: these types of scooter take significant shock loading to the joint between the front steering and the deck, and similarly at the rear axle. This occurs particularly when travelling on uneven pavements and on/off curbs, and especially if the rider does tricks like jumping (which we do not). The scooters do not have any kind of suspension or shock absorption to soften sudden loading. Hence loosening and shearing of fixing bolts. This is what I would call an "engineering design omission". I am not the only person I know to say this, or something similar but less carefully phrased. The company denied any design faults when I asked them to comment. They are helpful in supplying replacement parts, can advise with how to replace things, and repair it if you pay to get the scooter to them. Nice little repair business which you may become acquainted with if you have one of these scooters.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 22, 2015 3:25 PM GMT

Citizen Men's BV1085-06E Sport Eco-Drive Strap Watch
Citizen Men's BV1085-06E Sport Eco-Drive Strap Watch

4.0 out of 5 stars works very well indeed for my requirements (4.5 stars), 5 April 2014
I have had my Citizen BV1085-06E for 1 month and I love it. I needed something with a very clear face as when I wear my contact lenses I was unable to read my Casio digital watch without wearing 1.5 dioptre reading glasses over the contacts. The Citizen reads very clearly day and night. I really like the fact that I will not have to change the battery as it charges itself from light energy (the "EcoDrive"). I set the watch using timeanddate.com and it did not lose or gain any time over one month - so I can rely on its accuracy. The hands point accurately at the numbers and time markings. I would give this watch 5 stars except that the date was difficult for me to read once in double figures when I was wearing my contact lenses and not wearing my reading glasses. The luminescent numbers and hands are very effective - in fact if its a sunny day they appear slightly bluish even in medium light levels - personally I like how that looks. The supplied strap is very comfortable and I think it looks smart. Great value for money. 4.5 stars really.
Update Nov 2014. After 8 months the watch is working very well as already stated and the strap is still in good condition. You do have to change the date manually for months which are not 31 days, but it is straightforward.

Lenovo G580 15.6-inch Laptop (Blue) - (Intel Celeron B830 1.8GHz Processor, 6GB RAM, 1TB HDD, DVDRW, LAN, WLAN, BT, Webcam, Integrated Graphics, Windows 8)

1.0 out of 5 stars looks good but problems problems problems, 3 Sept. 2013
Purchased June 2013 for daughter at school - she loved it, the colour was just right. The operating system (Windows 8) fell over after only a few minutes and got into a loop trying to fix itself. Eventually I used the small button to re-install the operating system ("one-touch" recovery I think its called). This took about 15 minutes. Able then to boot up and create a user but then had repeated intermittent crashes. I ran all hardware checks which all passed. Did Windows update of 60+ updates which failed towards the end and I think the system reverted itself (removed the updates). System was stable for about 1 hour so tried to save a system image but it crashed during this. Returned to vendor and after 1 month it came back with apparently new motherboard and disk. It seemed stable and the 60+ updates seemed to go ok (taking most of a day) but after several hours use it crashed and went into its self diagnostic loop and we were not able to boot up or one-touch recover. It has been returned with full refund. Person receiving it warned me that all laptops now have Windows 8 and they are getting a lot of problems. The alternative seems to be Apple. Personally I do not understand why manufacturers think they can deliver items which are not fit for purpose at this price.

PURE Elan II, Portable Stereo DAB/FM Radio
PURE Elan II, Portable Stereo DAB/FM Radio

2.0 out of 5 stars Not a good experience, 12 April 2013
I bought an Elan II having tried it out in a large department store and finding that it worked well - my main criterion being that it would tune quickly when switched on from standby and between channels. I then bought one at reduced price from company (R****w****) which claimed to have "Manufacturer Refurbished" examples. When it arrived, the radio installed easily in the kitchen, showing signal quality of around 98% and playing radio 4. I noticed that when the sound was medium to high level there was a small but audible amount of rattle from the speakers. Then when turning on from standby it kept saying the station was not available and it retuned taking about 20 seconds each time. This became very annoying as you don't really know if it is going to tune and have to keep looking at it to find out. I tried the radio in the bedroom, with a retune, positioned next to our Pure Evoke Mio which works perfectly. Same problem - couldnt tune quickly from standby. I phoned Pure technical support who said it was a hardware fault and to return it. I then had problems with the refurbisher company in returning the radio who frankly gave abysmal customer support and messed me around. Eventually it was returned and I got a full refund. My mistake perhaps to buy a refurbished model. Now looking at different models.