Profile for Marius Liesdek > Reviews

Content by Marius Liesdek

Marius Liesdek "lieserd" (Amsterdam Netherlands)

Page: 1 | 2
Ghost Stories [+digital booklet]
Ghost Stories [+digital booklet]

4.0 out of 5 stars Eerily different stuff from Cold Play, but nevertheless worth a listen., 21 Oct. 2014
Great CD. Different but nice to the ears. Tracks are eerie but really fresh and somehow uplifting and mesmerizing. It is indeed not typical standard popmusic but it is really worth a listen.

Live Die Repeat: Edge of Tomorrow [Blu-ray] [2014] [Region Free]
Live Die Repeat: Edge of Tomorrow [Blu-ray] [2014] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Tom Cruise

4.0 out of 5 stars Very entertaining sci-fi 'Groundhog day' movie, 27 May 2014
I was pleasantly surprised seeing this movie as a preview on the 25th in Amsterdam.

At heart it is an alien invasion movie with a time traveling gimmick so to speak in which causes the main protagonist (played by Tom Cruise) to relive the same day over and over.

What makes Edge of Tomorrow fun is that it is just a very solid movie because all parts glue nicely together: story, acting, and special effects. There are not a lot of faults to find.

What was the most interesting in the plot is the puzzle/thriller aspect of the story (how to survive a seemingly impossible situation). In addition to that, it even had its funny moments which was a nice surprise in a film with such a dark premise.
Tom Cruise was Tom Cruise (decent but nothing special) and Emily Blunt was convincing as the fighting female warrior.

The battle scenes were really spectacular and gritty (even more so than the trailers suggest). Even the battle scenes alone justify a visit to the cinemas in my opinion:). The 3d was slightly disappointing and underwhelming for me, there were maybe a few minutes in the whole 2 h movie in which there was some nice depth sensation.

So, I recommend watching this movie in cinemas if you like sci-fi in general or just smart action movies. If you can see it in 2d, go see it in 2d, you wont be missing a lot in the 3d.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 31, 2014 8:20 AM BST

THEMES FOR AN IMAGINARY FILM
THEMES FOR AN IMAGINARY FILM

2.0 out of 5 stars Interesting concept but flawed and largely uninteresting., 13 Feb. 2014
I was interested to hear a Drive like soundscape(s) album to know what might have been if I understand correctly.
I can only say, it's for the best.

There is a variety in the synthesizer like soundscapes which is good, but most tracks are just not that interesting to listen to.
You can imagine that it might work to create a certain atmosphere, but as a listening experience it is a lot interesting than
the Drive soundtrack.

I recommend to listen to the tracks or samples of them before you buy this cd. For me it was quite disappointing.

Titanium Sapphire Quartz Dark Blue Dial
Titanium Sapphire Quartz Dark Blue Dial

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent watch with a nice blue dial., 7 July 2013
I am really pleased with this watch after one week.
This watch had all the qualities I expected.
Before this watch I had a Seiko Kinetic that looked similar but I was displeased about the time shift arising per weeks or month. Now I wanted a watch that looked similar but with a quartz mechanism.

This watch looks quite nice, it's not a an eye catcher but it really radiates quality somehow, and the shiny silver has a nice contrast with dark blue dial. The dial is really dark blue so it is less close to black than the picture on the amazon site suggests.

The watch feels solid and it is perfectly readable, even in absolute darkness (like in a cave) because of the illuminating details.
There was no apparent time shift as far as I could tell, but I only had this for a week. So I will update this later on.

I think this is a really versatile watch, I use it when going to work or even during a night out or during sports like swimming. I totally recommend this watch for this price.

Lincoln (Blu-ray + UV Copy) [Region Free]
Lincoln (Blu-ray + UV Copy) [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Daniel Day-Lewis

2.0 out of 5 stars well made movie only for Americans and history buffs, 1 April 2013
I went into the movie knowing very well that it would only be about a short period of Lincolns life. So, I knew that the focus would be on the political plotting/manoeuvering. Nevertheless, I was still unprepared for the limited accessibility of this movie to someone like me with only very superficial knowledge of American history. This movie in some cases just assumes that you have deep knowledge of the political system and important persons in the states, during that period of time. Consequently some really significant characters such as Thaddeus Stevens have very limited introductions. I remember I had to stop the blu ray and look up this person to know about his significance. This is of course kind of ridiculous to do and only underlined its limited accessibility for foreigners.

Apart, from this, the movie seems sterile to me, and more like a theatrical play at times then an engaging movie. It is well produced and well acted, but it never really came alive for me.

Conclusion: an interesting history lesson of American history but as a piece of entertainment it was a complete failure to me. If you're not really interested in American history, I really recommend to not watch this movie.
Comment Comments (8) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 19, 2013 9:40 PM BST

Human Physiology: An Integrated Approach
Human Physiology: An Integrated Approach
by Dee Unglaub Silverthorn

4.0 out of 5 stars One of the most accessible physiology books I know, 3 Feb. 2013
When I used this book a few years, I remember how accessible it was compared to some other physiology books. I am a 6th year Medicine student, and it's great
as a source to refresh your memory about numerous physiological processes. It has some depth, while combining good clear explanations with explanatory images to add to your understanding of things.

I totally recommend it for Medicine students who want a Physiology book to have a source about physiology that is orientated towards Medicine and handy to use to quickly look some things up about this subject to get a sense about the different systems in the human body while still having enough depth to not make it superficial.

X-Men - Season 3 Boxset [DVD]
X-Men - Season 3 Boxset [DVD]
Offered by HarriBella.UK.Ltd

4.0 out of 5 stars An enjoyable fun X-men season with ok packaging, 28 Nov. 2010
This season was really fun to watch after a couple of years (watched them when I was 8 years old). There are some classic X-men episodes such as those from the Phoenix Saga which are still quite amusing to watch to my mild surprise. The episodes of course contain a lot of action because it's a children series but the stories often have depth and can be interesting. So actually I would recommend these series for both children today and people who grew up with this such as I.

The package is indeed just a cardboard that holds the separate dvd volumes together. It is relativelt functional. I would have preferred a better design for the packaging but I am not complaining that much because it is functional and design is not everything with the Simpsons Season 12 set coming to mind very quickly The Simpsons - Season 12 - Complete [DVD] [2000].

In short, it you have bought the previous X-men seasons, you can buy this dvd set without any hesitation.

THX 1138 [Blu-ray] [1971] [Region Free]
THX 1138 [Blu-ray] [1971] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Robert Duvall
Offered by rbmbooks

1.0 out of 5 stars A disappointing and incomprehensible film (blu ray), 27 Nov. 2010
I had never seen this movie before because it was made before I was born, but I decided to take a gander now. This movie is pretentious, but it never explains anything. There are some philosophical points you could think about it, though the movie gives so little information about the structure of the dystopian society THX lives in, that there is little to ponder about. Apart from that, the characters were largely uninteresting, which meant for me that I did not feel involved in the movie at all. This movie seemed to be missing other things too such as a proper score or a satisfying ending. I understand that this was more of an experimental movie of another era but even with an open mind it still simply did not work for me. In short, this movie had nothing that was worth watching: no single scene was even remotely interesting, the movie was boring visually, the world could have been interesting but the movie explains nothing and barely gives hints about the world in a broader sense and at the end you are disappointed because you have no idea what will happen now and you realize that you can't even speculate on that because of the meager narrative.

The picture and sound of the blu ray were adequate however - it looked clean and detailed with little digital noise, especially for its age. The sound was just that, you could hear the conversations clearly and the sound effects of other things (what little there was) were easy to discern.

So, don't buy this movie if you have never seen it, rent or borrow it first.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 23, 2013 1:52 PM BST

Fight Club [Blu-ray] [1999]
Fight Club [Blu-ray] [1999]
Dvd ~ Edward Norton

4.0 out of 5 stars The Fight Club blu ray, 3 April 2010
Fight Club is a very interesting movie, but I'm not going to review the movie, because that has been reviewed here hundreds of time.

The bluray: before I bought this, I was doubtful whether it would matter to have this movie on bluray. I can say I am satisfied with this HD version. The sound is very clear and the music in this film (in the beginning for example) seems spiced up compared to the dvd version and is cleary superior. The picture quality is robust: this movie had some soft grain, but I think that it was the intention of the moviemaker. Somehow, in this movie, it adds character. There's also an interesting depth to the picture which I cant recall from the dvd. Furthermore, a lot of extra detail can be seen when watching this on blu ray.
There are some documentaries on the disc, but I didnt watch any of them so I cant comment on them.

In short: if you like this movie, and dont own it yet on dvd (I didnt own it yet), you should definitely buy the blu ray, its worth the extra money because it sounds (a lot) better and it looks better (and grittier). If you already own the dvd, it depends on how much you like this movie. I wouldnt buy it again if that were the case.

G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra [Blu-ray] [2009]
G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra [Blu-ray] [2009]
Dvd ~ Dennis Quaid
Offered by Get It on TV

4.0 out of 5 stars The movie was fun and the blu ray technically great!, 9 Mar. 2010
I watched the movie G.I. Joe with low expectations and I was pleasantly surprised. The action was spectacular and the plot did not get in the way. The plot is very simple but it is there to show off the action, but it does not have too many illogical or embarassingly bad moments (like transformers 2): there are good guys and bad guys and they fight for some motives and the story explains (for the most part) what you need to know.

The blu ray has a great transfer: the picture is clear and very detailed. There is no cinematic grain (which I hate) and the special effects hold up excellent.

The sound is in one word BOOMING: I had to put the volume very low in order to not scare too many birds away outside my house. The sound is not just loud but also very good: you can still hear the voices clearly in action scenes and the unique futuristic gadgets and stuff are fun to hear.

Conclusion: I thought this would be a dumb movie, but it turned out very ok. It's really entertaining. If you just want a futuristic action blaster movie that looks and sounds great, then rent or buy this blu ray. It's pure simple fun.

Page: 1 | 2