Profile for Ben > Reviews

Content by Ben

Ben

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Fireman Sam Hero Childrens Slippers (5 UK Infant)
Fireman Sam Hero Childrens Slippers (5 UK Infant)

4.0 out of 5 stars all good, 6 Nov 2014
good slippers no problems with them, they stay on little fit very well.

7.5V Lavolta AC Adapter Power Supply for Angelcare AC401 AC420 AC601 AC301 AC403 AC401 Deluxe AC1100 AC1120 Simplicity Video Movement & Sound Baby Monitors
Offered by Smart Parts UK, Digital Lifestyle Retailer

4.0 out of 5 stars done the job, 6 Nov 2014
did the job very nicely and so far no prlems with it

New Lone Wolf & Cub Vol. 2
New Lone Wolf & Cub Vol. 2
by Kazuo Koike

5.0 out of 5 stars Sword Vs Fist, 27 Oct 2014
See my first book review for details - I liked this book as equally as the first if not more so, now I was used to the characters. The stories moving along nicely, we have some good fight scenes and we see some training of Diagoro as they both travel along. The behind-the-scenes intrigues are a little confusing at times just trying to keep up with what the bad guys are up to, their motives and 'how' bad or 'good' they really are? we see 'Anzo' hattori as the 'bad' guy/girl I guess he/she is supposed to be related to the famous Hattori Hanzo who worked for the Tokugawa line - I like the fact they've tied this in, in the same way making the Yagyu the bad guys in the original series where in history they are the famous sword school of the Shogun. I always wondered why we never heard of Hanzo popping up in some way in the original Ogami Itto era, I suppose if they'd faced off it would have been awkward to have a winner without spoiling the others reputation!

I particularly liked the Karate expert hired to take down Diagoro, reminded me of Sonny Chiba in the street figther films, same cracking of the knuckles and hired ruthless killer style of Karate. I'll leave you read what happens but i thought it was an excellent story line worthy of the old Lone wolf and Cub.

New Lone Wolf & Cub Vol.1 (Lone Wolf and Cub) (New Lone Wolf and Cub)
New Lone Wolf & Cub Vol.1 (Lone Wolf and Cub) (New Lone Wolf and Cub)
by Kazuo Koike

5.0 out of 5 stars New wolf and cub, 27 Oct 2014
Bit dubious when I spotted this, being such a big fan of the original wasn't sure a sequel should be attempted after 28 years. It picks up where the last book of the original left off and explores what happens to Diagoro. Personally I loved it, brought back a lot of the emotion from the series and I can see me enjoying this series in the same way I enjoyed the first. The artwork is a little different, its better in the way it has more detail and even a bit of colour but the expressions are a bit different and essentially the original artwork was better overall for the way it squeezed so much into such a small space. I would have preferred the books to follow this same format, if only for posterities sake.
These minor gripes aside, the story managed to grip you, despite the fact Ogami is no longer in it, the new lad pushing Diagoro seems a good character and I liked the fact he takes a really tough apprach to child care just like Ogami did. Diagoro keeps developing and he is what really keeps this book alive and takes you back to the original - despite all of the skills of the samurai around him he is the thing that throws them off everytime and renders them ineffective.

Star Wars - Purge
Star Wars - Purge
by Chris Scalf

5.0 out of 5 stars juicy collection of purges, 31 Mar 2014
This review is from: Star Wars - Purge (Paperback)
I'd already read most of these in original form in comics and trhey are always a good read, Vader finishing off the remnants of the Jedi, makes you wonder how there were enough left to send his apprentice after in Force Unleashed doesn't it !! However we'll suspend belief on that one, those clones really did miss quite few didn't they consering how thinned out the Jedi had been during the clone wars as well?
Anyway great collection, action packed stories, Jedi's against Sith, always worth reading - Sith kicking back at the end after taking some heads, all good.

Kenobi: Star Wars
Kenobi: Star Wars
by John Jackson Miller

3.0 out of 5 stars slow and missing one vital part, 31 Mar 2014
This review is from: Kenobi: Star Wars (Hardcover)
Everyone has given this a 5 star on Amazon.co.uk - easily pleased if you ask me or just liking the laid back relaxed novel? I know he's in the desert and frontier life isn't exactly quick but although the story was good and stuff happened there seemed to be a lack of threat for a Star Wars novel.
I like a threat and while I appreciate there is room for all types I wouldn't be rushing back to re read this in a hurry. too mundane, hum drum....

The one vital part, the one thing that would have made the story acceptable and made me love it would have been......
Qui Gon Jinn. Why oh Why did Mr Miller not stick him in? There is a meditation section at bthe end of a few of the chapters and they cried out for himj to answer all the way through, Kenobi could have made great strides in the force but seemed to be going backwards. ' A new teacher I have for you' Yoda told him before going into exile... Not much of one was he? Should have got a supply teacher in to cover him... A bit of internal banter, some training in learning to let go, some thoughts on selflessness as a way to achieve immortallity, all these things I would have hoped to see. But just Obi Wan's own internal dialogue seems the quick easy route and doesn't ask any / pose any awkward questions off the after life but left me feeling a bit let down. A bit of training in the force and development of even a Master like Kenobi would have been great reading and taken you out of the story for a few moments

Star Wars: Maul: Lockdown
Star Wars: Maul: Lockdown
by Joe Schreiber

5.0 out of 5 stars slap up Star Wars slap down., 31 Mar 2014
This was my type of Star Wars book, best since Plageious in my view. In fact all the better since Sideous and his Boss turn up in this with a bit more dialogue to savour. It starts off hot and gets hotter, its a bit of a tried and tested Stallone / Van Damme prison film rip off at times, but there's lots of good elements to it, the action pretty much runs throughout and if its action your after then this is about as good as Star Wars gets for action.
I've given it five Stars but I still have a few little grumbles - (spoilers)
Maul's lack of use of the force due to Sidious' requirements, understandable but unbeliveable - although it addded to the tension, I do like a bit of force use in my Sith Lords, just a sneaky bit here and there would have been nice, Sith's are supposed to cheat aren't they?
A bit more Plagious and Sideous would have been nice, can't see why chucking a bit more in would have hurt? Their relationship was slightly different in this than in the previous book, more tension which I think, in retrospect was misssing from 'Darth Plagious'.
I felt the wrap up at the end was a little weak and I would have liked a meeting between Maul and Sidious, but hardly a massive issue.
A couple more fights perhaps but this is beeing greedy, but I think there were a few species that could have given Maul a run for his money? Trandoshan, Wookie (don't tell me there wasn't a Wookie kicking around in there?).
I thought the Nogri and Maul would have had a face off. Perhaps even literally.....

I loved this book though, right up there with some of the best in my opinion, but I like a Sith Lord romp. This arrived a bit later than 'Kenobi' which I was a short way into, I put Kenobi down and read this. Best decision I could have made - Kenobi was so slow it made this book seem like I'd pushed the leaver for hyper space.

Star Wars: Clone Wars - Volume Two [DVD]
Star Wars: Clone Wars - Volume Two [DVD]
Dvd ~ Star Wars: Clone Wars
Offered by HalfpriceDVDS_FBA

5.0 out of 5 stars original and still the best, 7 Feb 2014
like this more than the new version, with all its suped up graphics and money spent on it. Bit like the new three star wars films what he gained in effects he lost in story telling and good stylised imagery. I also liked the graphic novels of the old republic because of this, the days of Ulic and Exar, the likes of Thon getting it on.... the fight between Anakin and Asajj on Yavin has to be one of the best ever, there are a couple of episodes that aren't as good but not that many, I also like Obi wan Vs Durge with lances, the first known arrival of the leader of the droids who is hunting Jedi in the downed space ship, what was his name again....? Anyway he's far less a coward here than he is later on, which I liked.

The Last Jedi: Star Wars
The Last Jedi: Star Wars
by Michael Reaves
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

4.0 out of 5 stars good read 1 star off for being a little morose at times., 7 Feb 2014
good bokk oved along nicely, main character a little morose at times but as the last jedi and having lost moist of his pals along the way he's entitled to, I just don't want to readd those bits, but thats just me. has good roll call, xizor, vader, hidden bases, rebels, suped up death droids, all thie sort of things a good star wars book should have. I'd like more action and less maudling at times though.

Winner Lose All--A Lando Calrissian Tale: Star Wars (Novella) (Star Wars - Legends)

4.0 out of 5 stars typical calrissian style romp, 7 Feb 2014
The heading should tell you everything you need to know from this, there are double crosses and twists and it moves along nicely without having an awful lot of substance to it as Lando's tales never really do as they lack a certain something (the force) in all his tales. While nice enough, your always lacking someone jumping around waving a laser sword that can cut bad guys in two quite quickly...unless they also have a laser sword.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3