Profile for Count St Germain > Reviews

Content by Count St Germain

Count St Germain (Thereabouts)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-14
Bossypants
Bossypants
by Tina Fey

1.0 out of 5 stars A shallow read from start to finish, 3 Dec 2014
This review is from: Bossypants (Paperback)
I have read a large amount of this book, until I could take no more; it was a combination of terrible grammar and a life of a shallow person that did it for me.

It disgusted me that despite having a lot of opportunities in education etc that a lot of people did not have, she took it all for granted. From a life of indulgence, she has never really faced hardship and perceived herself being so much better than her peers, it was little surprise that she was not popular at her first school. What she has faced is no different to what a lot of people go through every day - and even worse - so really, I do not pity or admire her.

Chapter and Verse - New Order, Joy Division and Me
Chapter and Verse - New Order, Joy Division and Me

3.0 out of 5 stars No mention of Hooky? There's a surprise...., 19 Sep 2014
Great book, but bizarrely there's literally not one single mention of Hooky.... Each page has his name either scratched out, or it's been crudely covered in whiteout (tippex, for the non-Americans).

Interesting though to read that Bernard tried to oust Ian Curtis at every turn, and even purchased the belt later used to ... y'know.
I was also surprised to read that Joy Division were originally called One Direction, before Tony Wilson ominously suggested it make them sound too much like a boy band.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 21, 2014 9:09 AM BST

Richard
Richard
by Ben Myers

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing. Awkward. Clumsy. DISTASTEFUL, 9 May 2014
This review is from: Richard (Paperback)
I had high hopes for this book, I really did. I'm a huge (early) Manics fan, and as a fellow self-harmer, a Richey devotee too.
So where to begin... Well, the main problem I found with the book was the idea of the book itself. Think about it - put yourself in Richey's shoes here. You disappear (or die), and someone comes along and writes what is effectively an autobiography of you, on your behalf, without your permission. He acts like you (or what he decides is you), talks like you, even decides how you end your life for you. Writes it all down, releases a book. Ka-ching.
It's not even the shoe-horned awkward references or clumsy language, but even referring to self-harm in the way he does - I just found a lot of this book an embarrassment, truth be told. I can't imagine any of the remaining Manics or Richey's family have read this book.

Toshiba HDWC120EW3J1 Stor.E Canvio 2TB USB 3.0  Desktop Hard Drive - Black/White
Toshiba HDWC120EW3J1 Stor.E Canvio 2TB USB 3.0 Desktop Hard Drive - Black/White
Offered by Inkubus Bargains

3.0 out of 5 stars 2 colours? I don't get it?, 17 Mar 2014
It's 2 colours - which is right? I wanna know where though my files are stored for real, are they in black or white part?
I ask my dad, he says white because that part is bigger, but that doesn't mean anything dad, hahaha! Maybe they are in the black part and the white part is lots of empty space, like how air is. Air is white, there is nothing in that!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 6, 2014 1:20 AM BST

Bad Vibes: Britpop and my part in its downfall
Bad Vibes: Britpop and my part in its downfall
by Luke Haines

5.0 out of 5 stars The singer says funny thoughts in the book and Suede are here too., 17 Mar 2014
Mostly he talk of the 90s when he was playing that kind of music in that time. Not before as much. I think at the end of the book he stop writing it. I like the way it carries on, you know? In like a flow of time. Good stuff. Suede are here too.

Behringer TU300 Chromatic Guitar/Bass Tuner
Behringer TU300 Chromatic Guitar/Bass Tuner

1.0 out of 5 stars Zero use for metal or harder rock. Or, like mid-period Schlager music., 17 Mar 2014
A funny, funny little pedal this. All the way from the country of Behringer, of where I have little knowledge. Is possibly later Europe, circa 1974?

I honestly believe that a totally real-world equipment oriented guitarist (not female) could learn heaps about amps and effects, not to mention miking and cabinets from this pedal, or any other pedal for that matter.

I was using a pretty radically set EQ in the stomp section of my floor to try to clean the sludge. The miking section was particularly eye-opening to me, as I have avoided that panel like the plague - LOL! I was recently playing one of my favorite presets (Heavy Northern), which uses the Eddie Van Halen (from the movie Back To The Future). Behringer? So far, so good.

But holy Cabbage! After placing this pedal outside I see that the tone immediately cleaned up!
Clean tone? Not for this sir, no way man.

That tweak gave me back a little of the balls I lost when I cleaned out the sludge from those balls. Not good Behringer, not good.

Guinness World Records 2014
Guinness World Records 2014
by Guinness World Records

1.0 out of 5 stars A book full of lies, innaccuracies and some bits about Robert Wadlow. Probably., 21 Dec 2013
I've had issues with Guinness that go back to the 70's, but now we're coming into 2014 (a quarter past eight!), I thought it was time to put my drunk-hell life behind me, and give Guinness another chance.

Imagine my HORROR when I realized that there sitting in my porch (I've a very wide letterbox as I've had problems with the postman who used to like to chit-chat with me every morning, so I took to widening the postbox on the front door to accommodate larger items... which of course backfired on me dramatically last Xmas when a rather skinny burglar figured he could slip in and out of my home willy nilly, via the widened glamour portal that is my front door.. I feel that should explain why it's called a glamour portal, but for the life of me I can't remember) was the Guinness World Records 2014 Edition! I don't actually know why you should be forced to imagine my horror, but if you've come this far into the ramble that is my tragic mind, then let's just go nuts and we'll ALL imagine my horror together. David Lynch doesn't even come close (not that I'd particularly want him round my house, he's all into that New Agey stuff now, and that combined with my Guinness Book collection would only.. I forget what we were talking about?

Forget it, I'll finish this review later.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 22, 2014 9:07 PM BST

Russell Howard: Right Here Right Now [DVD]
Russell Howard: Right Here Right Now [DVD]
Dvd ~ Russell Howard

1.0 out of 5 stars As poor as his tv show., 19 Dec 2013
I was expecting much more after the hype Russell created on his promotion tour in UK and US. In his interviews he was going into areas of social and spiritual revolution which was insanely interesting. Especially in the one with Jeremy Paxman. Watch it you'll know what I mean.

On his DVD he touches above subjects only briefly spending half of stage time repeatedly aping about sex cliches like an teenager who just discovered it.

Drop cheap sex jokes and focus on intellectual bits and this could have been amazing.

Simon Amstell - Live at the BBC [DVD]
Simon Amstell - Live at the BBC [DVD]
Dvd ~ Simon Amstell

3.0 out of 5 stars Lovely - a true delight, 19 Dec 2013
Me and my wife went to see Simon at the Liverpool Philharmonic on the 28th September 2005.
I can honestly say my jaw was aching for the rest of the evening from the laughing. I never thought I would say that about Tommy Cooper, but this man is a genius. This man is in the same bracket as Tommy Cooper, Tim Vine, Milton Jones, but I have to say that he now heads the top of this list. I never thought I would say that about Tommy Cooper, but this man is a genius.

Get both of his dvds and you will never, ever stop laughing. Literally, you will not be able to eat due to the laughter blocking the food pipe into your belly. You'll then shed pounds on a daily basis, like that Stephen King book about that bloke who cursed the Gyspy. Oh dear... I never thought I would say that about Tommy Cooper, but this man is a genius.

Andy Parsons - Slacktivist [DVD]
Andy Parsons - Slacktivist [DVD]
Dvd ~ Andy Parsons

2.0 out of 5 stars A dark tortured man :(, 15 Dec 2013
I'm a big fan of The Alan Parsons Project and would never even consider a compilation recording because the albums really should be listened to in their entirety and not as a collection of "hits". This set, however, is a MUST for all Alan Parsons fans because of the 20-bit digital remastering done by Alan Parsons himself. The results are amazing and immediately noticable on even moderate audio equipment (let alone an audiophile system). You haven't heard the early music until you have heard these versions. The crispness of the bass and transparency of the vocals and synths is astounding! I only wish they would come out with digitally remastered versions of the complete albums!
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 22, 2014 6:40 PM GMT

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-14