Profile for AF, Edinburgh > Reviews

Integral Compact Flash USB Card Reader
Integral Compact Flash USB Card Reader
Price: 4.49

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't bother, 8 July 2014
This arrived and promptly broke. It looked cheap but I was very careful, having read the reviews, but in fitting the card into the reader one of the metal pins bent and it is now completely useless. What a waste of money - I'll go for more expensive, better quality in future. I'd advise others to do the same.

Raleigh Cycling Sunglasses
Raleigh Cycling Sunglasses
Price: 11.43

1.0 out of 5 stars Cheap but won't use them, 15 Mar 2014
Weird dame Edna style shape to them! Fine for what they are, but not what I was after, own fault I guess

At the Loch of the Green Corrie
At the Loch of the Green Corrie
by Andrew Greig
Price: 14.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully written and engaging..., 19 Feb 2011
I loved this book, the writing is beautiful, sometimes abstract, and thoroughly engaging. I hadn't come across Andy Greig before but I'll certainly be reading some of his other work next. It's a very enjoyable narrative - he writes with warmth and clarity about Norman McCaig, Scotland and its landscape, and the journey undertaken; it is a joy to travel with him.

A Tale Etched In Blood And Hard Black Pencil
A Tale Etched In Blood And Hard Black Pencil
by Christopher Brookmyre
Price: 9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A tale etched in blood and hard black pencil, 24 Oct 2010
It is a long time since I have laughed so much, reading a book. Sometimes ghastly, sometimes brutal, but cut with some of the funniest dialogue I have read. It's a murder mystery against a backdrop of '70s schooling. It was my first Brookmyre novel, I'll be treating myself to some more pronto. The glossary at the back ensures that you close the book laughing out loud. A total triumph.

A Book of Silence
A Book of Silence
by Sara Maitland

5.0 out of 5 stars A Book of Silence, 6 Jan 2009
This review is from: A Book of Silence (Hardcover)
This was an utterly absorbing book. Thought-provoking and unique, I would recommend this to everyone. I picked it up in the bookshop by chance - I had never heard of Sara Maitland, but found her writing style entrancing. The ways in which she explored silence; in history, religion, literature and especially within her own life, were fascinating.

This book has charm. Give it a try.