Profile for Elaine Tomasso > Reviews

Content by Elaine Tomasso
Top Reviewer Ranking: 925

Elaine Tomasso (Troon. Uk)
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
A Perfect Match (Lloyd and Hill Book 1)
A Perfect Match (Lloyd and Hill Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars A page turner, 26 Dec 2014
I've been reading crime fiction since the 70s but this is the first time I've come across Ms McGown's writing. Obviously it is rather dated - no mobiles, computers, DNA or even itemised landline billing which we take for granted nowadays but it is a good read. I always enjoy a good police procedural and this is excellent as it is a logical, methodical investigation into the death of a rich, rather unpleasant young widow with all the requisite red herrings and detailed, clever plotting to keep you interested and guessing. Lloyd and Hill have the makings of a very good partnership as there is a good bit of backchat between them in this novel and I can see it maturing as the series continues. I don't think this will be the last in the series that I read.

The Rembrandt Secret
The Rembrandt Secret

3.0 out of 5 stars Not to my taste, 24 Dec 2014
I thought I would try something different from my usual police procedural and serial killer fare and picked this, based on the good reviews. I thought it was well plotted with a clever twist or two at the end. However, I thought it was very long winded, the perpetrator was rather obvious from the start, although not why and I found it really hard to care about any of the characters or their motivations. The art world seems populated with unlikeable, manipulative people and I still don't understand why Marshall Zeigler didn't just go to the police in the first place, apart from the fact that there wouldn't be a book! It's not a bad book, as shown by the many positive reviews, but it's not to my taste as it all seems pointless and I don't think I would read another in the series.

The Bird That Did Not Sing (DSI Lorimer Book 11)
The Bird That Did Not Sing (DSI Lorimer Book 11)

4.0 out of 5 stars An easy way to spend a few hours, 19 Dec 2014
I've read the most popular reviews which are mostly unflattering. You can nitpick the details if you want but this is a good read with a multi- stranded plot which kept me reading until the end. It starts with an unexplained explosion near Loch Lomond (which actually happened in 2010), moves on to the trafficking of a young Nigerian called Asa, the death of a theatre impresario and a plot to blow up the Commonwealth Games. How it all comes together is clever and engrossing. I found this an easy book to read - Ms Gray has an inviting writing style which draws you in to her narrative and as a reader of the series it is interesting to see some of Superintendant Lorimer's history. This is not gritty Glasgow crime, more hints of grit.

Cry Baby
Cry Baby

4.0 out of 5 stars 4.5*, 18 Dec 2014
This review is from: Cry Baby (Kindle Edition)
Plenty of people have called this book unputdownable. Personally I found it so tense I had to put it down, walk away for a bit and then start reading again. I'm not a parent so I couldn't identify with Erin - I kept thinking tell someone and they'll rescue Georgia - but her sense of urgency came over loud and clear. This is a tense, very cleverly plotted and written book with a great twist at the end and it kept me guessing the whole way through. I thought as I was reading it that I would probably rate it at 3 stars because I couldn't identify with Erin but having finished it and viewing it as a whole I think 4.5 is probably more appropriate (.5 off for identity issues) as this is one of the best books I have read this year.

The Good Suicides (Inspector Salgado 2)
The Good Suicides (Inspector Salgado 2)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great characterisation, 16 Dec 2014
Sara, an employee of Alemany Cosmetics, commits suicide and questions are asked when it is discovered that another employee who was on the same team building course as Sara committed suicide after murdering his wife and child 4 months earlier. What follows is a slow investigation by Inspector Salgado into what caused the suicides and the reactions of the other course participants as the investigative noose tightens. At the same time Leire Castro uses her maternity leave to look into the disappearance of Inspector Salgado's wife, Ruth, 6 months previously. I have mixed feelings about this book. It is cleverly plotted and the characters are extremely well drawn - I felt as if I knew them but I love a good police procedural and I feel that in The Good Suicides the crime solving is secondary to character development and reaction to events so it was all a bit slow for me. I will look out for the next book in the series because I'm hooked on what will happen to the characters, rather than the crime.

Deadline (Virgil Flowers Series Book 8)
Deadline (Virgil Flowers Series Book 8)

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great adventure, 15 Dec 2014
I just love that f*****g Flowers. This time he's called up to Trippton by his friend Johnston Johnston to look into dognapping, unofficially of course. While he's there a local journalist is shot and he uncovers a meth lab. After that it's murder, mayhem and a lot of laughs. Virgil Flowers is a great creation - unconventional and laid back he has his own way of doing things which investigating dognapping shows. I thoroughly enjoyed this book which I read in one sitting.

The Curse Of The House Of Foskett (The Gower Street Detective Series Book 2)
The Curse Of The House Of Foskett (The Gower Street Detective Series Book 2)

4.0 out of 5 stars A good read, 15 Dec 2014
Sidney Grice redeems his reputation, aided by his ward March Middleton, by solving the murders of members of a final death club. A final death club is an invitation to murder as the last man standing collects the money invested by all members. I found this pastiche of Victorian detectives clever and amusing. Mr G, as March calls him, is a Sherlock Holmes type detective with his papers on esoteric subjects, aestheticism, deductions and intimate knowledge of physical evidence. March Middleton is his polar opposite - she smokes, drinks, laughs and cares. As is always the case they work well together as characters. I recommend this book as a good read.

How The Light Gets In (A Chief Inspector Gamache Mystery Book 9)
How The Light Gets In (A Chief Inspector Gamache Mystery Book 9)

3.0 out of 5 stars Not one of the best, 13 Dec 2014
I have read the other reviews and whilst I agree that the series is quite compulsive I really don't think this is one of the best. Chief Gamache is still fighting his enemies in the department and at the same time is asked by Myrna to look in to the disappearance of Constance Pineault who didn't arrive in Three Pines as expected. I enjoy the Three Pines characters and their humour but I found the investigation into Constance's murder lacklustre and the enemies' plan fantastical. I know it is fiction and that anything goes but I just couldn't swallow it - clever yes, remotely possible no. It will not, however, stop me reading the next in the series.

Heat Wave: Nikki Heat Book 1 (Castle)
Heat Wave: Nikki Heat Book 1 (Castle)

4.0 out of 5 stars Competent, 12 Dec 2014
I have not watched the TV series, Castle, this book is based on so I have no comparison point. Heat Wave reminds me of James Patterson's writing in that there are plenty of twists and turns in the plot, the protagonists are pleasant and there is a touch of humour. It won't win any awards but it is an easy way to while away a few hours.

Kingston Technology 8 GB USB 2.0 DataTraveler SE9H Flash Drive with Metal Casing

4.0 out of 5 stars Suits my needs, 12 Dec 2014
This is not something I use very often so I wanted a cheap one. Firstly it is tiny. It is the width of a USB connector and is not much more than an inch and a half long - I've attached it to a key ring otherwise it would get lost in the drawer I store it in. Secondly it is a bit of a tight fit - you need to give it a shove to get it to fit into the USB slot - this may ease off with use. Thirdly it took a while for both computers I used it on to recognise it - I didn't time it but it was long enough for me to start wondering if it wasn't working. For occasional use (I use it for moving photos around the family after gatherings) it is ideal - cheap and easy to use once you know its little quirks.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20