Profile for M. D. Dancey > Reviews

Content by M. D. Dancey

M. D. Dancey "matt6224" (Dorset uk)

The Religion
The Religion
by Tim Willocks

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 5 Jan 2013
This review is from: The Religion (Paperback)
I want to recommend this book, I can only agree with the other reviewers, the book is gory and shows the horror of war but also how love and loyalty can guide you in unexpected directions. The book is very well researched and very cleverly written.

The Samurai's Garden
The Samurai's Garden
by Gail Tsukiyama

4.0 out of 5 stars Skillful writing, 29 Sep 2012
This review is from: The Samurai's Garden (Paperback)
I enjoyed reading this book. I tried to tell my wife about it, but when I thought about it nothing much came to mind! A very skillfully written book which I couldn't put down. The story is not action packed but you really feel and get involved with the characters lives.

02 Spirit Walker (Chronicles of Ancient Darkness)
02 Spirit Walker (Chronicles of Ancient Darkness)
by Michelle Paver

5.0 out of 5 stars Great story, 12 Jun 2012
My 9 year old son loved the book especially the first book Wolf Brother although he found it a bit scary at first.

The Magic Cottage
The Magic Cottage
by James Herbert

5.0 out of 5 stars Still the best book I have ever read, 15 April 2012
This review is from: The Magic Cottage (Paperback)
I am just re-reading this book after originally reading it over 20 years ago and it had an impact on me then, showing me how gripping and engaging a good book can be. Fantastic, I don't want the book to end.

The Sealed Letter
The Sealed Letter
by Emma Donoghue

3.0 out of 5 stars A good but difficult read, 11 April 2012
This review is from: The Sealed Letter (Paperback)
I did enjoy the book, as with Emmas other books it is very cleverly written and she kept what could have been a very uninteresting storyline alive and enticing. The only problem I had was that it was hard to read at times, some of the words used made the story a bit jerky sometimes for my uneducated mind.

Russell Hobbs 18036 Breadmaker Fresh Bread in Minutes
Russell Hobbs 18036 Breadmaker Fresh Bread in Minutes

2.0 out of 5 stars Not happy, 1 Feb 2012
This is my 3rd breadmaker the other 2 being Morphy Richards which have been superb, i make about 4 loaves a week. This one doesn't seem to mix properly or cook properly, I am going to see if I can return it.

Heartstone (Matthew Shardlake 5)
Heartstone (Matthew Shardlake 5)
by C. J. Sansom

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping, 30 Dec 2011
This fifth book in the series is in my opinion the best so far.
It follows the familiar main characters that the author makes you very attached to.
There is mystery which keeps you hooked and twists and turns that I have to admit I didn't see coming.

Room
Room
by Emma Donoghue

5.0 out of 5 stars Not everyones cup of tea!, 19 July 2011
This review is from: Room (Paperback)
I have recently read this book and found it fantastic, it really took me "inside" the story as I like to say. I am still thinking about it now.
I have leant it to some friends and they found it disturbing. It surely is but also makes your mind work. I found it quite positive actually showing how amazing the human spirit can be and how strong a mothers bond can be.

Tides Of War
Tides Of War
by Steven Pressfield

3.0 out of 5 stars Hard work, 7 Feb 2010
This review is from: Tides Of War (Paperback)
I enjoyed gates of war but found tides of war too hard going. It meanders along and in the end i just couldn't be bothered to finish the book, it just didn't engage me.

The Pillars of the Earth
The Pillars of the Earth
by Ken Follett

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 21 Dec 2009
I enjoyed this book a lot. The story had me gripped with its many twists & turns.
The only criticism I have is that maybe there were too many twists and turns and leaps in time.
A plan of a Cathederal would have helped to understand the technical references, but there again it made me go and find out and broaden my knowledge, so that was good.
It's a very well written book.