Profile for Richard L > Reviews

Content by Richard L

Richard L

First Contact (The Last War Trilogy, Book 1) (In Her Name)
First Contact (The Last War Trilogy, Book 1) (In Her Name)

5.0 out of 5 stars Unexpectedly engrossing, 30 Sept. 2012
Don't really think this book needs any more positive reviews, but I'll throw my 5 stars into the pot. I'd never heard of Michael Hicks, or this series of books, and only found this book because I'm tight and sorted the search results by cheapest first specifically hunting for any good-looking free books!

This one turned up as free, and looked half decent. I started reading, and the next thing I know it's now a couple weeks later and I own all 6 "The Last War" and "Empire" books! Now, I don't get a lot of time to read, and I rarely spend out on books, so I guess I must have enjoyed these.

Having now read all 6, I can say that they are all as good as each other. Very well written, completely gripping, and I didn't find a single dull moment. It was so difficult to put down as there just wasn't a convenient "boring part" to come back to later. A very good mix of action and combat, with story and history telling, an excellent representation of an alien culture.

I don't know how useful this may be to anyone, but if you like sci-fi in general I can't see you going wrong with any of the books in this series. The only downside is make sure you've got some free time, or at least nothing important to do, this may well take over your life :)

Halo Glasslands
Halo Glasslands

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay story, but the characters are all strangers to me!, 30 Sept. 2012
This review is from: Halo Glasslands (Kindle Edition)
I was really looking forward to reading this book, and bought it once released to kindle, but unfortunately I did feel a little let down.

Whilst I did eventually feel gripped by the story, it took a while to get there. The first quarter or so felt a real struggle to get through, I found it hard to get used to Karen's writing style as opposed to the ease and familiarity of say Eric Nylund. That's not to say it was bad at all, just a big shift from what I have been used to with the other books in the Halo series.

I was especially interested in the continuation of the storyline from Ghosts of Onyx, but was sadly disappointed with this; the story part itself was great and fulfilled the "so, what happen's next" questions, but the characters just felt completely "wrong". It was like the characters were completely different people, they didn't behave or speak how you would expect them to at all, and it was so hard to follow or believe, because of this. Some characters have been transformed into the "bad guys" with an awful lot of hate suddenly appearing and being brought to bear, and I felt there was way, way too much focus on making these bad people, considering that their actions were no worse than many others that had been committed throughout the war.

The other annoying thing was that the book just seems to end, with no real conclusion to anything that's going on. Yes, there should be plenty that keeps the story open to the follow-on books, but this was just like it was missing a few chapters at the end, there was no real closure to anything. Other Halo books have cliffhangers etc, but the main plot in the book is usually tied up with some explanations, and unfortunately Glasslands seemed to leave everything hanging. Another chapter or section for each of the sub-plots would have probably just about done it.

There is also very, very little action, battles or combat in this book, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, the story didn't call for it. But if that's a big reason for you to be reading these books, as it used to be for me, you may be disappointed.

This might all sound a little too critical, so having said all that, the book is still definitely worth a read, if only to further the Halo story. Although don't be surprised if some well-known characters seem to have had a personality swap!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 15, 2013 11:53 AM GMT