Profile for Ms. Mary Fletcher > Reviews

Content by Ms. Mary Fletcher

Ms. Mary Fletcher (u.k.Cornwall)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Dawn Chorus
Dawn Chorus

5.0 out of 5 stars birds in my studio, 19 Jun 2014
This review is from: Dawn Chorus (Audio CD)
I am an artist and it is lovely to put this on in my studio or in an exhibition to make a relaxing environment.

Atheist's Bible
Atheist's Bible
by Joan Konner

5.0 out of 5 stars Amusing and atheist., 19 Jun 2014
This review is from: Atheist's Bible (Hardcover)
This is great to dip into for a quick smile or laugh, full of excellent quotes, not all by Mark Twain.

Kipling Women's LOUIZA Shoulder Bag  Red Rot (Port Red) Size: 25x17x14 cm (B x H x T)
Kipling Women's LOUIZA Shoulder Bag Red Rot (Port Red) Size: 25x17x14 cm (B x H x T)

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice new bag, 19 Jun 2014
From the picture online I thought the colour would be more rusty but it is aptly named 'port red'. It is quite roomy and I like it looking more like a handbag than my previous Kipling [syrie?] bag. The clip on a string for keys is really excellent to be able to find them from the bottom of the bag and the pen and phone compartments are useful.
I am used to more zipped compartments and would have liked another one inside.
The magnetic clip for the flap is also good.
I replace the furry gorilla with my own Greek bead ornament. I don't like his stunted legs.
If it as stoutly made as previous bag time will tell.
Its lovely to have a new bag of this quality.

Christ Stopped at Eboli (Penguin Modern Classics)
Christ Stopped at Eboli (Penguin Modern Classics)
by Carlo Levi

3.0 out of 5 stars A grim view., 18 Jun 2014
I found this book was well written, flowed, some evocative description etc. However, I also found it very ambivalent in its sympathy. The writer generalises about people, often with contempt for their level of understanding or their tastes,.if you replace 'peasant' with 'working class' or 'underclass' it shows similarities with tv documentaries about those on benefit. It has a similar ethos to DH Lawrence grumbling about the Cornish in the 40's when he exiled himself here.
When he beats his servant, Giulia,to make her pose for him, I lost all regard for him. He says she, 'knew no greater happiness than that of being dominated by an absolute power'.
He has an understanding that the peasants suffer unfairly and advocates decentralised autonomous zones to govern.
On the other hand the peasants he first depicts as despairing drudges to his surprise rise up and spontaneously create a lively agit prop theatrical to defend his practice as a doctor and would have petitioned and demonstrated if he had not dissuaded them.
Contrast his writing with Dickens, Dylan Thomas, even DH Lawrence, Hardy or class bound Woolf , Orwell, and he seems to never know any of these people who he finds alien. He reports as an Attenborough watching monkeys.
It's of interest,but it's not marvellously enlightening.

1963 That Was the Year That Was
1963 That Was the Year That Was
by Andrew Cook

5.0 out of 5 stars Good present, 31 Jan 2014
Bought as an apt anniversary present and was a good choice. The recipients liked it very much I hear now.

Summer in February [DVD] [2013]
Summer in February [DVD] [2013]
Dvd ~ Dan Stevens

5.0 out of 5 stars Evocative and beautiful., 31 Jan 2014
I loved the book and the plot is dealt with even better in the film. As I live in West Cornwall it's great to see places in it that are so beautiful. Characters being based on real people are as annoyingly unsatisfactory in ways that real people are. So well acted.

The Fireman's Ball [DVD] [1967]
The Fireman's Ball [DVD] [1967]
Dvd ~ Vaclav Stockel

1.0 out of 5 stars Not very funny now., 31 Jan 2014
I had this remembered as hilarious from years ago at college but maybe I was inhaling? Now it doesn't raise a smile from beginning to end. I was very disappointed and gave it to charity, rather uncharitably to waste someone else's time. It's a period piece.

Black Lovely Puppy Hungry Eating Dog Kids Bank Coin-Eating Money Saving Box Gift
Offered by The end(Dispatched from HK)

5.0 out of 5 stars Funeral item., 31 Jan 2014
This is nicer than I thought it would be, makes you smile if you like novelty items. I like it.

Pavane (Easy Piano No.19)
Pavane (Easy Piano No.19)
by Gabriel Fauré
Edition: Sheet music

5.0 out of 5 stars Good easy version., 31 Jan 2014
This easier version keeps the feeling of the piece well.
I cannot say more than that, useful to have as a piano teacher.

Con Art - Why you ought to sell your Damien Hirsts while you can
Con Art - Why you ought to sell your Damien Hirsts while you can

5.0 out of 5 stars Vehemently argued., 31 Jan 2014
I was at college with Julian Spalding and recognise from then his impassioned way of arguing. It's coherent and lively.
I think I still prefer to have a wider category of art , a lot of it not very good or even very poor indeed, but I enjoyed reading this argument about defining what is art.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6