Profile for Ms. Mary Fletcher > Reviews

Content by Ms. Mary Fletcher

Ms. Mary Fletcher (u.k.Cornwall)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Women Artists
Women Artists
by Uta Grosenick

2.0 out of 5 stars Terribly small print., 21 Oct 2014
This review is from: Women Artists (Hardcover)
Useful as a compendium but terribly small print.

Glorious Eccentrics: Modernist Women Painting and Writing
Glorious Eccentrics: Modernist Women Painting and Writing
by Mary Ann Caws

2.0 out of 5 stars Quirky detail., 21 Oct 2014
I don't agree that this is incoherent. It's more that whilst of interest the women described are not all that great artistically but the author is very interested in the details of their lives especially their love lives.
Unfortunately I found a serious error re Claude Cahun as it says Jersey was liberated May 9 1944 but it was in fact I believe May 9 1945, so this was not the reason she was not executed in Feb 1944. It seems to me Cahun was probably very interesting and brave but that is not shown in the photos in this book or in other work I have seen by her.
I liked the chapter on Paula Modersohn Becker best.
Information on women artists is always of some interest to me, unfortunately no colour pictures in this book and quite odd content .

Near to the Wild Heart
Near to the Wild Heart
by Clarice Lispector

1.0 out of 5 stars Strange and annoying., 20 Oct 2014
This review is from: Near to the Wild Heart (Paperback)
Very weird and I had no patience with it. Might try againg someday.

Complete Prose
Complete Prose
by Woody Allen

1.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as his films by a long way., 20 Oct 2014
This review is from: Complete Prose (Paperback)
A big disappointment, hardly raised a smile. I love the films.

Rumours of a Hurricane
Rumours of a Hurricane
by Tim Lott

1.0 out of 5 stars I was disappointed by this novel, 26 Sep 2014
This review is from: Rumours of a Hurricane (Paperback)
I was disappointed by this novel, as I like Tim Lott's Observer pieces. It has an anti Thatcher and , anti racist stance which is fine, it evokes that era of politics , but I felt it showed contempt for the working class characters, who are depicted as having very poor taste and only rare flashes of thoughtfulness or sensitivity. The characters are depressing and so is the plot. Only the black chap is admirable. It's sad and rather horrid, some good ideas but no warmth.

Dawn Chorus
Dawn Chorus

5.0 out of 5 stars birds in my studio, 19 Jun 2014
This review is from: Dawn Chorus (Audio CD)
I am an artist and it is lovely to put this on in my studio or in an exhibition to make a relaxing environment.

Atheist's Bible
Atheist's Bible
by Joan Konner

5.0 out of 5 stars Amusing and atheist., 19 Jun 2014
This review is from: Atheist's Bible (Hardcover)
This is great to dip into for a quick smile or laugh, full of excellent quotes, not all by Mark Twain.

Kipling Women's LOUIZA Shoulder Bag  Red Rot (Port Red) Size: 25x17x14 cm (B x H x T)
Kipling Women's LOUIZA Shoulder Bag Red Rot (Port Red) Size: 25x17x14 cm (B x H x T)

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice new bag, 19 Jun 2014
From the picture online I thought the colour would be more rusty but it is aptly named 'port red'. It is quite roomy and I like it looking more like a handbag than my previous Kipling [syrie?] bag. The clip on a string for keys is really excellent to be able to find them from the bottom of the bag and the pen and phone compartments are useful.
I am used to more zipped compartments and would have liked another one inside.
The magnetic clip for the flap is also good.
I replace the furry gorilla with my own Greek bead ornament. I don't like his stunted legs.
If it as stoutly made as previous bag time will tell.
Its lovely to have a new bag of this quality.

Christ Stopped at Eboli (Penguin Modern Classics)
Christ Stopped at Eboli (Penguin Modern Classics)
by Carlo Levi

3.0 out of 5 stars A grim view., 18 Jun 2014
I found this book was well written, flowed, some evocative description etc. However, I also found it very ambivalent in its sympathy. The writer generalises about people, often with contempt for their level of understanding or their tastes,.if you replace 'peasant' with 'working class' or 'underclass' it shows similarities with tv documentaries about those on benefit. It has a similar ethos to DH Lawrence grumbling about the Cornish in the 40's when he exiled himself here.
When he beats his servant, Giulia,to make her pose for him, I lost all regard for him. He says she, 'knew no greater happiness than that of being dominated by an absolute power'.
He has an understanding that the peasants suffer unfairly and advocates decentralised autonomous zones to govern.
On the other hand the peasants he first depicts as despairing drudges to his surprise rise up and spontaneously create a lively agit prop theatrical to defend his practice as a doctor and would have petitioned and demonstrated if he had not dissuaded them.
Contrast his writing with Dickens, Dylan Thomas, even DH Lawrence, Hardy or class bound Woolf , Orwell, and he seems to never know any of these people who he finds alien. He reports as an Attenborough watching monkeys.
It's of interest,but it's not marvellously enlightening.

1963 That Was the Year That Was
1963 That Was the Year That Was
by Andrew Cook

5.0 out of 5 stars Good present, 31 Jan 2014
Bought as an apt anniversary present and was a good choice. The recipients liked it very much I hear now.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6