Profile for Phate > Reviews

Content by Phate

Phate

Final Fantasy X-X2 HD Remaster Official Strategy Guide (Offical Strategy Guide)
Final Fantasy X-X2 HD Remaster Official Strategy Guide (Offical Strategy Guide)
by Bradygames

5.0 out of 5 stars Gets the job done, 4 May 2014
I pre-ordered this guide for the release of FFX and FFX-2 HD for the PS3. A short while after my pre-order was placed, I started seeing a lot of negative reviews of this guide here on Amazon. I thought to myself: "Oh well, at least it was cheap..." and was prepared for a disappointment and a majority of flaws. I could not have been more mistaken.

As a disclaimer, I would like to state that I have not read the old original guides for the PS2 release. However, I have played through the games on several occasions since their initial release. Therefore, I can not say much about how this guide compares to the old one, but I can say how it relates to the game.

For FFX I looked to the guide only for the missable trophies (okay, I know there's a debate about the al-bhed primers from Home, but I'll not digress into that). As this game has been a beloved friend of mine for many years, I wanted to do it all this time. 116 hours and I got my platinum. The guide served me great on this quest, and I relied heavily on it to not have to backtrack too many hours. Items, strategies for minigames, etc., it's all here. The checklist for the monster arena etc., was very useful.

For FFX-2, there seem to be an apparent lack of trophy information. From the top of my mind I think I've seen them mentioned a few times, but there's no complete trophy list - and there's no mention of them in logical places. For example, for the minigame Gunners Gauntlet there's no mentioned of the trophy you can get for reaching LVMAX. Same with getting the Ribbon in Bevelle, and so on. All though not lacking for the game experience itself - since all bonuses and rewards are duely mentioned, I miss having a strategy for the trophies in a game as vast as this. On the other hand, the real positive thing about the guide for FFX-2 is the checklist for 100% completion. It actually is possible to get 100% on just one playthrough, and the guide takes you through it in addition to having a checklist for each place in each chapter. Minigames and dress-spheres are described in great details.

I notice some give this a negative review for not including more (or better) artwork than the originals, and that is of course a legit complaint - but I prefer my guide to be just that: a guide. Not an artwork collection. And there's nothing wrong with the quality of the paper either, no matter what I read on Amazon - my guide still haven't been torn... I didn't know the incredible Hulk played Final Fantasy.