Profile for Mr. M. Brown > Reviews

Content by Mr. M. Brown

Mr. M. Brown "Mat" (Cambridgeshire, England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Elemis Aching Muscle Super Soak 400ml
Elemis Aching Muscle Super Soak 400ml

3.0 out of 5 stars Smells like Deep Heat., 12 May 2016
33 reviews and no one has mentioned its simularity to Deep Heat, which is fine if you like that smell. It certainly has properties because it leaves me hot and bothered after a bath. I can see how it might work for old arthritic people though. Thirty quid though, hmm.

SNES/Gamecube/N64/GC Composite AV Cable
SNES/Gamecube/N64/GC Composite AV Cable
Offered by MAXXPRINT

1.0 out of 5 stars Very flakey, 12 May 2016
Use it for my SNES and occasionally it works fine, but usually I have to turn the machine off and on constantly for about 15 minutes to get it to work. Should have splashed out on the SCART instead.

Economics For Dummies
Economics For Dummies

3.0 out of 5 stars Way too involved for the casual reader, 6 Oct. 2013
The fundamental principles of economics are very easy to grasp and you certainly do not need to study the maths to understand them. You could probably condense all the important infomation from this book into a short essay or a ten minute Youtube video. Unfortunately almost all of the chapters contain lengthy algebraic descriptions which demand a certain level of intelligence from the reader. If you're about to embark on an academic course then I highly recommend this for you, but for someone merely wishing to familiarise themselves with the principles it's far too protracted.

The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly [DVD] [1966]
The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly [DVD] [1966]
Dvd ~ Clint Eastwood
Offered by bestprice4u247

2.0 out of 5 stars Great music, silly movie., 15 Sept. 2013
I'm possibly the only person in the world who doesn't rate Clint Eastwood. In my opinion every movie is boring when he's the lead guy in it. This film was still pretty zany but it would have been a lot more fun without him in it. It's like a proto-Tarantino film with Hitchcockian aesthetics (sorry). The musical score was absolutely the highlight - one of the best scores ever. The story was too silly though. The way Blondie and Tuco stumbled accross the civil war battle was absurd and while the story was pretty linear I just couldn't trust it because of stuff like that. That's also why I got bored of it. Well, that and Clint Eastwood.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 2, 2014 12:47 AM BST

A Tale of Two Cities
A Tale of Two Cities

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but not great., 29 July 2013
This is the fourth and last Dickens novel I'll read and none have come close to Great Expectations so far. It wasn't a bad read though, especially having previously trudged my way through the monumental bore that was Bleak House, but it didn't excite me enough to want to finish the entire Dicken's collection.

The general plot is very good. It's full of high drama and starts and ends brilliantly. In typical Dickens fashion it relies a bit much on far-fetched coincidence but it's not too distracting. It's overly sentimental in places but there are more than enough macarbe episodes to outweigh them. Apart from Lucie and Charles the characters are quite interesting.

You can expect some 19th century literary gobbledygook but it's not all sludge. I found I could understand the plot clearly enough. Time to watch the adaptation.

Bleak House
Bleak House

3.0 out of 5 stars Plenty of comprehensive reviews so I'll try not to gabble, 14 April 2013
This review is from: Bleak House (Kindle Edition)
Bleak House is endless. Even at half its length it's too long. Aside from that it's quite dull, the story is muddled and the characters are not particularly endearing despite being well depicted.

It's also too sentimental, especially Esther's narratives. Her perpetual effusiveness regarding her friends and her inability to hold in tears is very wearisome. It's not all mush though as there are some great portrayals of Dickensian London. The first chapter is particularly good.

The writing gets sticky in places. I often had to reread passages and I missed a couple of salient points but I was past caring by that point.

This is no match for Great Expectations and it's enough to put someone off reading other Dickens novels, which is a shame. I'd recommend just watching the 2005 BBC adaptation instead as I think it actually surpasses the book.

King Solomon's Mines
King Solomon's Mines

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but not amazing., 12 Nov. 2012
I've recently started reading 19th century adventure novels and I enjoyed this a lot more than Treasure Island, partly because it was easier to read. It's a story of three English gentlemen on a quest for jewels in a fantastical southern African lost world. I particularly liked the sense of journey, especially the arduous hike through the desert. I also liked the feeling of suspense in places and I wish they hadn't encountered the Kukuana people so quickly after crossing the mountains. It's a shame we don't get better acquainted with Good and Curtis as they were involved in the story from the very beginning but it's really a book for children.

In conclusion, this is a good story even if it's not a literary masterpiece.

Treasure Island
Treasure Island

3.0 out of 5 stars Badly written, 4 Oct. 2012
This review is from: Treasure Island (Kindle Edition)
I've been wanting to read some classic 19th century literature and I downloaded this after having seen it recommended on so many 'must read' lists. Bearing in mind it was written for children over a century ago I shouldn't be too harsh but as classic novels go it's not great.

It reads more like a rough script for a movie than a novel. The pacing is all over the shop and there are lots of descriptions of the ships rigging which are too difficult to digest. There were parts which I enjoyed and the general plot is very good. Also, it's so short that you could read it comfortably in a day or two but I shan't be reading it again.

Down Under: Travels in a Sunburned Country
Down Under: Travels in a Sunburned Country
by Bill Bryson
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

5.0 out of 5 stars A nice description of Australia, 21 Sept. 2012
While I wasn't half as smitten with Australia as Bryson, this book has evoked in me some of the wonderment I felt while I was exploring its natural wonders. It's the story of his journey around Australia and it's illustrated with interesting anecdotes and facts, and it's all done in a light hearted, well humoured sort of way. One gripe, he does overplay the dangers of the bush a bit too much. Australians don't have to put up with bears, cougars and rattle snakes at least.

Overall, it's an interesting and accessible piece of Australiana. Similar books written by Australian authors tend to be excruciatingly anal. So, I highly recommend this as a travel companion.

Mr Nobody [DVD]
Mr Nobody [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jared Leto

1.0 out of 5 stars It's awful., 21 July 2012
This review is from: Mr Nobody [DVD] (DVD)
I managed about 50 minutes of this pretentious pap before I threw the TV set at my girlfriend for recommending it to me. I hated what I saw of it for a handful of reasons:

One, it's set in a world where people fall in love at discos.

Two, it's like being spoken to in the indicative by a teenager telling you about life's dramas.

Three, much of the movie is meant to be in England but the setting is hopelessly American save for the omnipresent red telephone box...Arrrggh!!!!

Four, the scene where Nemo's 15 and he's about to shag his sister and they're staring intensely into each other's eyes because they're 'in love' - for that there isn't enough vommit in the world.

Five, the main guy is called Nemo... Nemo ffs!!!, and he looks like he's got thyroid eye disease.

Skip six, it's too awful to mention.

Seven, just to reiterate, it's a story told from an emotional, teenagery standpoint where life is like a movie and everything has celestial meaning.

Eight, overall it's hopelessly French, pretentious and very 1990's. I can think of a better title. It starts with 'b', ends in 'ks' and has 'olloc' in the middle.
Comment Comments (17) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 12, 2016 4:09 PM BST

Page: 1 | 2 | 3