Profile for Rajkovic > Reviews

Rajkovic

by Mesa Selimovic

5.0 out of 5 stars Bosnian riddle, 10 May 2003
“Bismilahir-rahmanir-rahim!
I call for the witness Time that is the beginning and the end of everything and that tells how everyone human being is loser. “
Each chapter of this novel begins with verses from the Koran. Each verse is proverb or assumption how we are small and complicated, how in the end we are all equal for Death is something unavoidable; for beggar and for King. Dervish Ahmed Nurudin guides us through way or thinking that most of Bosnian Muslims grown up with. Not just Muslims even Christians and Jews grown in our cites and villages. Mighty be a reader that is not familiar with us asks, “Where is the difference”. The difference is that Bosnian Muslim world is much more irrational and unmaterialistic. One gain respect by deeds not by money. Our tragedy is that we were /are always colony to some Imperia. Turkish Imperia that brought Islam and made frame for converting from one old religion of Bogumils to something New. Ahmed tells about this colonization, the difference between Bosnian thinking and Turkish. – Master /Servant relations that in present days many Bosnian Muslims tend to forget. And search for friend where we never historical had them /read in the novel/.
They try to forget Time of fermans and hatisherifs /Sultans decisions many times on life and death sent to Bosnia and other provinces of the Great Empire/.
We are nation that needs many readings before summarizing and conclusion so do not be discouraged if you did not get a point after the first reading.

by Mesa Selimovic

5.0 out of 5 stars Bosnian mind, 10 May 2003
My short summary about this novel would be incomplete without telling something about us Bosnians. We are the most complicated people on this planet. Mr. Selimovic gives through this novel all segments of out mind. Ahmed Nurudin is me or any other Bosnian. Never tell the whole what he thinks and when you think, “I have got a point” you realize you are on the beginning. I have read this novel a few times in different age. The first time when I was 13. I did not understand much. This novel asks for mature reading that is familiar with hard readings. Do not miss read this novel especially if you have any connection to Bosnia. Read again chapters, enjoy in verses from the Holly Koran- each chapter begins with them. Happy reading.