Profile for M. Lee > Reviews

Content by M. Lee

M. Lee "Muzmarinator" (Sydney)

High Violet
High Violet

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfection, 1 April 2012
This review is from: High Violet (Audio CD)
Quite simply the best album of the past two years and possibly my favorate album since Mercury Rev's Deserters Songs in 1999. Rock music just doesn't get much better than this. Classic and contemporary and not a bum moment. I must admit to coming to the National late - but I've now got the back catalogue! You must own this brilliant record.

C'mon
C'mon

4.0 out of 5 stars Sumptuous slowcore, 1 April 2012
This review is from: C'mon (Audio CD)
Somehow Low almost passed me by. Dazzled by my love for contemporaries Galaxy 500 I never thought I needed Low. How wrong was I? This record just gets better with each spin, and I've spun it a lot. There are some fine and quirky lyrics too ( witches, especially me) but some of the best tracks just repeat a line and build (majesty, nothing but heart). If you like guitars, harmonies, and literate songwriting, look no further. Recommended.

Making Mirrors
Making Mirrors
Offered by Direct-Offers-UK-FBA

2.0 out of 5 stars Over rated, 1 April 2012
This review is from: Making Mirrors (Audio CD)
Purchased this album on the day of release in Australia because I was so taken by the single - which is a fine slab of pop. Played if four times, will never play it again. The musical equivalent of overheating the birthday cake - too much sugar and no real substance or sustenance. A couple of good moments can't make up for the daft faux soul and tracks that sound like incomplete demos. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for genre hopping and variation - if it's done well. Ultimately, I don't think this is really for indie music fans - its more Phil Collins than Edwyn Collins. File under mainstream.