Profile for Don > Reviews

Conspiracy [DVD]
Dvd ~ Kenneth Branagh
Offered by FREETIME

5.0 out of 5 stars A chilling plot, 7 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Conspiracy [DVD] (DVD)
To what extent this screenplay is based on fact I cannot say but it is completely convincing. Branagh is quite simply superb and there's an excellent supporting cast. You can keep your horror genre - this film really is terrifying.

Rolled Gold
Rolled Gold
Offered by leo of johnson

5.0 out of 5 stars The best selection, 7 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Rolled Gold (Audio CD)
Wanting a Stones CD, but not being such a fan that I was hunting a complete collection, I have found this double CD does the job perfectly and has taken me back to the days when I first heard them at the same time as the Stones first released them! There's nothing missing from here that I can't live without.

Helpless Heart
Helpless Heart

4.0 out of 5 stars A clear voice, 7 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Helpless Heart (Audio CD)
If you like to listen to a clear voice singing perfectly in tune then you must try an O'Connell CD.

I found her after purchasing a number of CDs by Mary Black and Frances Black, so if this easy Irish style appeals to you, then give Maura a go.

Tom Smith's Cricket Umpiring And Scoring: Laws of Cricket (2000 Code 4th Edition 2010)
by Tom Smith

5.0 out of 5 stars Vital purchase!, 7 Dec. 2012
This book is a vital companion to all cricket lovers. It is the bible on which all umpiring is based and has for many years been the standard reference. Clearly and simply written, you'd be hard pushed to find a question on the Laws of Cricket that isn't answered here.

SHOWCASE II Wall Mounted Glass Display Case Cabinet Unit with Glass Shelves in Beech Colour
Offered by LUXURY EXPRESS

4.0 out of 5 stars Good looking Unit, 7 Dec. 2012
This unit, once mounted on the wall, houses a small fossil and mineral collection. While its appearance is fine I would make a few criticisms. The instructions (printed on the box rather than on paper) are not easy to follow and an hour or two of debate between myself and my wife were needed to decide how to proceed. Not all holes were drilled (e.g. for mounting the door hinges) but the use of a bradawl proved adequate for making the remaining holes. Once together however the unit looks fine, but do ensure you have two reasonably able people to assemble and mount this unit on the wall.

The quality of the build is excellent however, with one exception in that on one side the surface veneer was cracked. I did not complain since that side is so close to a corner it is quite invisible, so I can't give an opinion on how this might have been handled. Nonetheless I would certainly buy other items from this manufacturer and put up with the head scratching.

iGadgitz Black Genuine Leather Case Cover for Pure Move 2500 Rechargeable Personal Digital DAB/FM Radio
Offered by iGadgitz

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Protection and a second Use, 7 Dec. 2012
There has been comment, I believe, on the quality of the fastening clip on this unit and I find it very stiff to clip together - rather the opposite of previous opinions and maybe the manufacturers have taken note. See my review on the DAB unit to see why I bought this. It clips very firmly to a rear seat seat-belt and thus prevents interference from the car's engine if used in the front of the car. This should ensure the DAB radio is not damaged by falling around in the back of the car.

Buffalo MiniStation Slim 1TB USB 2.0 Portable Hard Drive - Black
Buffalo MiniStation Slim 1TB USB 2.0 Portable Hard Drive - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Portable and slim, 7 Dec. 2012
Although I bought the first of three of these which I now own just a few months back, they have been invaluable in both backing up and in taking large and vital files around with me and backing up large numbers of photographs (I am a semi-pro photographer) when on assignments. I couldn't live without portable storage and so far these devices have dome the job fine.

Protective Carrying Case for 2.5" Portable USB External Hard Disk Drives - Extra Space for Memory Cards and USB cable - Detachable Hand Strap Included
Offered by MACRO.SUPPLIER

5.0 out of 5 stars Sturdy, 7 Dec. 2012
Does the job of holding my Buffalo 1Tb external drive perfectly and offers good protection. I am much more comfortably taking this drive 'on the road' now I have this cover.

Pure Move 2500 Rechargeable Personal Digital DAB/FM Radio - Black
Pure Move 2500 Rechargeable Personal Digital DAB/FM Radio - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars DAB radio use in a car, 23 Nov. 2012
This unit functions well in the environments in which I have tried it out.

I originally purchased it to obtain DAB radio in my 2007 Fiesta via an "AUX" mini-jack socket into the car's radio/CD system. At first I was unable to tune the unit except in a few areas (of high signal strength?) and even then the reception was patchy. It occurred to me that the engine of the car might be interfering with the reception and so, using a long mini-jack to mini-jack lead, fastened the case I obtained separately for this radio to a safety belt on the back seat to prevent it moving around. This has solved the problem wherever I have driven so far and DAB reception has been fine.

I haven't used this unit in FM mode so am unable to comment on that aspect of its performance. As a way of receiving BBC Radio 5 live sports extra (and hence TMS!) in a clear signal rather than the very poor Long Wave otherwise available to me it has done the job well.

Don

Mystic Pizza [DVD] [1990]
Mystic Pizza [DVD] [1990]
Dvd ~ Annabeth Gish
Offered by DVD Overstocks

5.0 out of 5 stars Julia's first?, 23 May 2011
This review is from: Mystic Pizza [DVD] [1990] (DVD)
I believe this to be Julia Roberts' first film, at least in a major role, and well worth a watch. An ensemble piece telling three interlocking stories - not a new idea I know - this film carries the characters well and each thread sits neatly with the others. In fact there is really a fourth tale in which all three prime characters are players.

With many superb films later in her career I might be hard pressed to say it's her finest but it sits easily with the best she has done. The supporting cast does an excellent job but it's easy to tell Roberts is on her way to a top career.

If you are a Roberts fan, don't leave this DVD of your 'to get' list!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4