Profile for pengu > Reviews

Woodenface
Woodenface
by Gus Grenfell

5.0 out of 5 stars absolutely CAPTIVATING, 8 Mar 2011
This review is from: Woodenface (Paperback)
I could not put this book down, it was absolutely enchanting. I felt that a spell had been put on me as well.

The setting, both time and place, was described in detail and transported me into a new magical Yorkshire.

I love the characters in this book. The main character, Meg, is instantly likable. But she is not a simple girl and turns out to be a interesting and complex character. Her allies are also lovable as well as memorable and entertaining. The villains are equally memorable and sufficiently terrifying.

The mood of the book is both humorous and heart warming but also darkly magical. There is a fabulous balance between the two. The description and weaving of the magic throughout the novel is brilliantly done and very believable. This heightens the suspense as well as the wonder of the novel.

I feel that I have done a poor job in describing the wonder of this novel. I haven't read a book that left such an impression on me in such a long time. I was captivated and completely drawn into the story from the very first page until the last. Its rich, complex, and thoroughly entertaining.

Eon: Dragoneye Reborn
Eon: Dragoneye Reborn
by Alison Goodman

4.0 out of 5 stars great fantasy world, 8 Mar 2011
This review is from: Eon: Dragoneye Reborn (Paperback)
I really liked this book. I am an adult twenty something but I still appreciate a well written "teen" fiction book (which is where I found this in the library).

The world is very richly described and the settings create a distinct picture in your mind. The customs and culture of Goodman's imaginary world are captivating and interesting to discover as the story unfolds and you learn more and more. It is easy to become sucked into the fantasy realm. Surprisingly the actual dragons play a very small role, the Dragoneye's which harness the power of the dragons are the real focus.

The characters are developed well and appear real, both with positive and negatives. Perhaps the villains are too stereotypical but I prefer it that way, easier to side with the hero(ine). Like another reviewer said though, sometimes I too was VERY frustrated with how dense she was (this is the only reason I gave it 4 instead of 5 stars) but you still root for her to succeed.

The book progressed at a good pace, new occurrences, new characters, new intrigues, new folklore were constantly unfolding and there were no boring moments.

I am really looking forward to the next book!

The School for Husbands
The School for Husbands
by Wendy Holden
Price: 6.82

2.0 out of 5 stars unlikable, stereotypical, cliched charaters, 8 Mar 2011
I got this book on loan from the library as an audiobook, which is probably worse than just merely in print. At first it was ok, just mildly entertaining, however all of the entertainment seemed to come from poking fun at different characters and their character flaws from the point of view of the other characters. Not a good start.

this follows throughout the rest of the book that I was able to listen too, only about 1/3 of the book, after that i couldn't stand the characters any longer and had to stop listening. The pace of the book in the beginning is extremely slow with no real action NOR character development, its just a big pity party.

there are a lot of just plain bad characters, the Southern brothers from Simon's banking company, stereotypical unflattering and flat American south characters. I seriously disliked every single character except for Helen (sophie's friend) who appears as an angel. But all of them are flat, unflattering, and appear stereotypical, the Southern brothers with their cowboy hats, getting married at 17 etc., the rich, fakey yummy mummies, the scheming mother in law, the distracted husband, and the overworked mother.

The two main characters both seem at fault and I just could not like them. It was not the situation but the author's description. All of the beginning of the book is the two of the complaining all the time, and there is no softening of their characters.

I understand that it is supposed to be light and humorous and "satire" but for me I just didn't like it. I am not saying it is a terrible book but for me, if I don't like the characters I can't really like a "light" book like this, its just not entertaining.

I really want to listen to the rest to see what happens to the characters but I don't know if I can stand any more "satire". Great and funny idea "school for husbands" but poor characters really ruined it for me.