Profile for John Meyer > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
The Golden Age Shtetl: A New History of Jewish Life in East Europe
The Golden Age Shtetl: A New History of Jewish Life in East Europe
by Yohanan Petrovsky-Shtern

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent as a history and for fluent writing style, 18 Oct 2014
Excellent as a history and for fluent writing style. I loved it. I learnt more than I had ever expected to.

History of Food (2nd Edition)
History of Food (2nd Edition)
by Maguelonne Toussaint-Samat

1.0 out of 5 stars If you want entertaining vignettes fine. I deeply regret my purchase, 18 Oct 2014
It's not a history but more a collection of vignettes on food over the centuries. If you want a history don't buy it. If you want entertaining vignettes fine. I deeply regret my purchase,

Fire HD 6, 6" HD Display, Wi-Fi, 16 GB (Magenta)
Fire HD 6, 6" HD Display, Wi-Fi, 16 GB (Magenta)

1.0 out of 5 stars I bought this Kindle for two purposes. To use ..., 18 Oct 2014
I bought this Kindle for two purposes. To use for Kindle Books and to use for BBC IPlayer which I was assured could be loaded onto the Kindle Fire HD6. It can't. Amazon Kindle Fire version refuses to download on this device (as does BBC Media player) and I can find no specific app for BBC IPlayer Fire HD on the Amazon App store showing on the device. There is precious little else available either. Unle4ss I rapidly find a solution for this I intend to return the tablet.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 12, 2014 10:21 PM GMT

CSL 670 in-Ear Headphones | Earphones with transducer EP Power Bass and flat cable | Noise Reduction
Offered by CSL-Computer

5.0 out of 5 stars They are great. Not used to hearing bass where I never ..., 2 July 2014
They are great. Not used to hearing bass where I never heard it before but am now getting used to it. Remarkable reproduction values. Doesn't tangle (this matters) and cheap.

GOLD 2500mAH BATTERY BL-5J FOR NOKIA LUMIA 520 N520
GOLD 2500mAH BATTERY BL-5J FOR NOKIA LUMIA 520 N520
Offered by cables and gadgets

1.0 out of 5 stars Not a 2500mah battery, 2 Jun 2014
The phone regards the charged battery as having the same life as a standard low capacity battery. Usage figures howver show it to have about 60% of the power of a standard battery. Buy a Polar Cell they last as long and cost less. That 2500mah can only exist in an imagination or else the battery has tremendous resistive losses. Yes I had drained and recharged it several times.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 21, 2014 6:44 PM BST

Widdop Hometime "Washington" Radio Controlled Black Alarm Clock - 5265
Widdop Hometime "Washington" Radio Controlled Black Alarm Clock - 5265

4.0 out of 5 stars Keep trying, 20 Jan 2014
The first one to arrive had only one hand attached. The replacement carefully set itself to midnight. After several resets it finally caught on and got the time right and is showing connection to the radio host. I haven't dared try the alarm accuracy but I didn't want it for an alarm. It is not small, it is big by modern alarm clock standards and could be used as a mantel clock. For my eyes and age it is perfect. Next day delivery - both times. Bit flimsy or I would give it five stars.

The Late Scholar (Lord Peter Wimsey)
The Late Scholar (Lord Peter Wimsey)

3.0 out of 5 stars Something of a Disappointment, 9 Dec 2013
I bought the Kindle edition and found no problems with it bar the very occasional typo. Far better indeed than many other Kindle ebooks. It holds the attention and I did want to know how it all worked out in the end. But the plotting was weak, the villains were easy to spot and imposters were playing the part of the Duke and Duchess. The period colour was a little strained. Oxford was a little overplayed. Bunter called him Chief Inspector as that was the name they had always used for him in the good old days and was an affectionate term.

The Great Divergence: China, Europe, and the Making of the Modern World Economy (The Princeton Economic History of the Western World)

1.0 out of 5 stars Kindle version unusable, 24 April 2013
The Kindle version of the Great Divergence comes with a base font size too small to be visible without a magnifying glass. Using the font size control on the Kindle to move the size to maximum still gives a font size too small to be comfortably read without further magnification. I have asked Amazon for my money back (I clearly will have to buy it in book form)or a technique by which I can further multiply font size and I await their answer.

The Great Divergence: China, Europe, and the Making of the Modern World Economy (Princeton Economic History of the Western World)

TomTom USB Car Charger
TomTom USB Car Charger

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice but shortlived, 12 Jan 2012
This review is from: TomTom USB Car Charger (Accessory)
It worked well for about nine months of occasional use - mostly in rental cars - and then quietly died. Carry a spare just in case.

Kingston - DataTraveler Mini Slim - USB flash drive - 16 GB - Hi-Speed USB - black

2.0 out of 5 stars Fragile, 29 Jan 2011
Nice super small flash drive. Works well. I was carrying one of mine in my wallet but eventually (six months) the top and bottom came apart. Holding them together with tape at present and still mostly working. I had another which travelled in my travelling bag in a small plastic case and was rarely used. After six months it could only be used by pushing it hard into the USB slot and then flexing it until the computer recognised it - then - holding it just there - it worked. I am now trying the San disk equivalent.

Page: 1 | 2