Profile for Rod Mcpherson > Reviews

Content by Rod Mcpherson

Rod Mcpherson (Glasgow, UK)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Octopussy & The Living Daylights and Other Stories
Octopussy & The Living Daylights and Other Stories
by Ian Fleming

4.0 out of 5 stars Keeps your attention, 1 Nov 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I got this for some long drives that I knew I had coming up.
There are 2 separate things to review here. Firstly are the stories themselves. The names are familiar as they are the titles of Bond movies that you may have seen. You probably already know but I'll point out anyway that they are nothing like the films, I mean nothing - not at all. Not a bad thing in itself but the stories are a not very bond-esque. If you are buying this thinking you will get the normal super villain with Bond swooping in to save the day then I'm afraid that you will be disappointed. If you are just looking for some stories then you might be pleasantly surprised. Taken on their own the stories are fairly entertaining.
The second thing to review is the way the stories are read. Tom Hiddleston does an admiral job of reading the stories and his voice lends itself well to the tone of the stories. He also does a good (and humorous) job of doing accents.
The two things I don't like is that Ian Fleming wrote in a very non politically correct manner and if it's relevant to a story I don't mind it being left in but if it adds nothing I think there are some phrases we should be dropping in the 21st century. The other thing is that the last story is read by Lucy Fleming and I'm afraid I'd have preferred someone else to read it.

Furreal Friends Trixie the Skateboarding Pup
Furreal Friends Trixie the Skateboarding Pup
Offered by Duncans Retail

3.0 out of 5 stars Would be good if it worked, 1 Nov 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
We got this and I gave it to my daughter, first thing I noticed is that the remote has 2 buttons, one for forward and another for reverse and twirl. The reverse and twirl button sticks when you press it making the skateboard just spin in the middle of the floor. One visit to the tool cupboard later and it's fixed but obviously you would like it to work straight out the box.
Other than that it's lots of fun. Flashing lights, noise, cute dog that is pose-able and comes with accessories like sunglasses. Also it's the skateboard that is remote control and the dog can be removed and substituted with all sorts of other toys that you might have.
Good fun and no educational value

Zyliss Egg Slicer and Wedger
Zyliss Egg Slicer and Wedger

5.0 out of 5 stars Swiss Quality, 22 Aug 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I had an egg slicer before - worked well but ended up breaking at one corner and not looking great.
I can imagine this one will do much better. Feels very well made as you would expect from Zyliss. 2 usefull cutters - one for slices and one for wedges, great for salads or to enhance a sandwich.
Easy to clean and looks great. Also comes with a really handy tool to puncture an egg to stop it cracking when you boil it.
Top notch product.

The Art of Succeeding at Interviews
The Art of Succeeding at Interviews
by Joanna Crosse

4.0 out of 5 stars Basic but useful, 22 Aug 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
You are probably reading through the other reviews on this Audio CD. Some people are being a little harsh. Yes, this is a fairly basic guide to what to do at interviews but I think there is nothing wrong with that.
If you are already quite high up in a company and are looking for that extra edge to put you ahead of the other high powered executives that are going for the role then this Audio CD is not for you. Sorry. Move along. Nothing to see here.
I don't think that is a huge market that this product is going to miss out on then.
If however you are one of the countless other millions who are going for a first job, first promotion, position at Uni, etc and are a bit scared by what to do and how to prepare then this is right up your street. Good basic tips and instructions on what to do.
Well presented and easy to follow it's a very useful starting point for those looking to move on.

BMW iPod | iPhone | iPad Y Cable Audio Aux Adapter iDrive Interface Lead USB to gold plated 3.5mm suitable for BMW / Mini Cooper 2007>
Offered by AVA Group UK

1.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't work, 7 Aug 2013
Cable connects to my iPhone 4s and starts playback but will stop at least once and often couple of times during each track. I then have to select audio in my car and restart the connection which I don't want to have to do every couple of minutes - it's a pain and not very safe if you are driving.

I was prompted by Amazon to write a review of this product and they advised that if I was going to give a review of less than 3 stars to contact the seller before reviewing.
I did this and got an email back as below, it was good of them to come back to me but I'd have preferred if they had checked what the problem was. (I was doing all of what they suggested already so it's not fixed the problem)

Hi can you make sure there are no cases, covers or bumpers on your device and follow this;

Installation Instructions

Plug in both parts of the cable, (USB and 3.5mm AUX jack) first to the AUX on your BMW when the car is off, then start your car then switch to AUX, then plug in your iPod or iPhone (do not plug your device into the cable, before you plug the cable to your BMW)

***Please also make sure your device is running the latest iOS.

Russell Hobbs 19990 Easy Toaster - Black
Russell Hobbs 19990 Easy Toaster - Black

3.0 out of 5 stars Does what it's supposed to but not lovely to live with, 7 Aug 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a great toaster in the respect of it has a single slot that you can easily fit 2 normal slices of bread into or if you have artisan (fancy) bread and it's wider than most then you will easily be able to toast one slice at a time. The pockets for keeping toast warm are a great idea. There are 4 of us in our family and it means that we can all sit down to warm toast at the same time.
Nice simple controls where you can thaw frozen bread and a dial you can change how toasted you want your toast. Nice blue light in the handle also so all looks good and works good.
My one gripe (and it's a fairly big one) is that the plastics they have used to make the body of the toaster are not great and never look really clean. They are clean it's just not a polished surface and will scratch easily.
If you don't mind that much how it looks and are not a clean freak then this is a great toaster for you. If you are a wee bit fussy and I admit that I am then look somewhere else.

Ikra Flexotrim HS-6055 600W Electric Hedge Trimmer
Ikra Flexotrim HS-6055 600W Electric Hedge Trimmer
Offered by TECHNIK TRADE UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than I expected, 24 April 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is one of those rare things that look good on the page before you order and in reality are better than you expect. They went through much thicker branches than I was expecting.

Good solid hedge trimmers - easy to use and not too heavy which is important. The trimmers are long so you get a lot cut quickly. This is also very useful when trimming the top of deep hedges.

Good safety mechanism - you have to unlock a twist grip with your thumb, then twist the grip and with your other hand pull the trigger. It might sound cumbersome but is actually easy enough to use. You really need it - I imagine without it you could turn these on too easily and slice a power cord or finger.

They recommend wearing gloves and glasses and ear protectors. I'm not normally one that goes in for too much safety gear but it might be a good idea to adhere to all of the above. I did get a couple of bits of branch heading towards my face.

Super product - can happily recommend.

The Negotiator in You: At Work (BBC Audio)
The Negotiator in You: At Work (BBC Audio)
by Joshua N. Weiss

3.0 out of 5 stars I'd like to like this more, 22 Mar 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
On the face of it this should be excellent
Some good ideas
Only 30 mins long
Part of a series that you can expand into (negotiator at home, etc)
Clear structure

but

It just doesn't come off too well. It's brief but it's brief because of a lack of content rather than in any deference to brevity.
I don't really have any great desire to jump into the rest of the series.

On the plus side it's not very expensive, I just think there could be something more to get stuck into here.

If you borrowed someones car and it was in the CD player it would be a great way to pass half an hour on a long journey.
Other than that......

Joseph Joseph Adjustable Spaghetti Measure - Grey/Green
Joseph Joseph Adjustable Spaghetti Measure - Grey/Green

2.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't work, 22 Mar 2013
When I try to put spaghetti through this at a 2 person setting for example it forces it open to a 3 person setting which is a bit of a waste of time.
Nice design - poor performance. Form over function.
You get the message

The Mystery of the Cliff-top Dog (Animal SOS)
The Mystery of the Cliff-top Dog (Animal SOS)
by Kelly McKain

5.0 out of 5 stars Great story - well written, 22 Mar 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My kids really enjoyed me reading this story to them - they are younger than the target audience at only 6 and 7 but I think because I was reading it to them they really liked it.
I guess that if an older kid was reading it by themselves that might be more who the book is aimed at.
Well written story with some nice illustrations I even enjoyed reading it to them a bit.
I can recommend this to you if you are a parent looking for a bedtime read to the kids or an older kid looking for a book to read yourself.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6