Profile for frenchie > Reviews

It's All About Lunch: Life In Provence - A Journal
It's All About Lunch: Life In Provence - A Journal
by Anthony Craig

1.0 out of 5 stars A travesty, 13 Jan. 2016
This is a seriously bad book. The format and the content will be very familiar to anybody who has read Peter Mayle's "A year in Provence", to such an extent that you can easily guess what will happen next. Peter's style and verve are however sadly lacking here. Not much humour either. Quite a lot of clichés and stereotypes are used throughout the book and this rapidly becomes annoying. The author's perception of the French way of life is obtained through rose tinted spectacles and bear little resemblance to the realities of modern France. Endlessly patronizing of high end restaurants for meals that few of us bar the seriously well heeled can afford will alienate most people. I am struggling so much to find anything good about this book that I just won't bother to try! My local charity shop will benefit though!

Paella 67 Success Secrets - 67 Most Asked Questions On Paella - What You Need To Know

1.0 out of 5 stars Shocking!, 23 Jan. 2015
I really don't know where to start with this one! If the rating system allowed zero star to be awarded, this would be my choice! This book is completely irrelevant to the subject matter, which is to be "Paella". It is a joke, I consider it to be an offence against the trade description act here in the UK. You will not learn anything from it, you will not enjoy reading it and it cannot be described as a reference book by any stretch of the imagination! Why bother to buy tripe at such an inflated price, when many other books will fulfil the brief and actually teach you something? I am absolutely baffled that this book could go into print or, more relevantly, that anyone should have the audacity to ask any kind of payment for it! I asked for my money back and got it. Your choice!

Cooler, Faster, More Expensive: The Return of the Sloane Ranger
Cooler, Faster, More Expensive: The Return of the Sloane Ranger
by Peter York

1.0 out of 5 stars Just trash!, 31 Dec. 2014
I have not read the other books by Peter York. In all fairness, I haven't even finished this one, because I just could not be bothered!!
This book does not make any sense to me. The format baffles me no end, the content does not raise any interest unless maybe you are part of the Sloane culture yourself. What a piece of rubbish this is!

OXFORD ANALOGUE MOTORCYCLE MOTORBIKE CLOCK
OXFORD ANALOGUE MOTORCYCLE MOTORBIKE CLOCK
Price: £21.90 - £27.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant clock, poor mounting kit, 15 Oct. 2014
I bought the clock for my scooter. It is a brilliant piece of kit and does everything expected from it. The mounting kit however is a different story. Putting it mildly it just isn't up to the job! To be fair though, it would be impossible for the manufacturer to supply something that would fit every single bike on the road!
My advice would therefore be to discard the bracket supplied and make a custom component for your own scooter/bike. You won't regret buying the clock. In my opinion it is the best on the market. Forget the Velcro pad too! If you are considering using it, you might as well give the clock away and save some time/heartache!

Setting Up A Money-Making Food Catering Business: Your Guidebook To Food Preparation, Food Delivery And Affordable Party Planning So You Can Serve Up ... Or Any Event For A Real Party Treat!
by Katrina P. Votswana

1.0 out of 5 stars rubbish!, 15 Mar. 2014
If you are thinking of setting up a food business of any kind in the UK, this book is of no use to you whatsoever! Although printed in Great Britain, it is a hard copy of an American e-book. It will not help you in any way, contains common sense platitudes at best and completely irrelevant advice at worst. Don't bother! I will send my copy back and ask for a refund!

Stellar SA98 30 cm Magnetic Knife Rack, Aluminium
Stellar SA98 30 cm Magnetic Knife Rack, Aluminium
Offered by Harts Of Stur

4.0 out of 5 stars A good buy, 12 Aug. 2013
A good looking product, unlike most of the plastic based items on the market. Strong magnets fitted to an aluminium base. Easy to fit as well.

Domination Basics: Secrets of the Alpha Male Book 1
Domination Basics: Secrets of the Alpha Male Book 1
by Drawk Kwast

1.0 out of 5 stars What a load of bollocks!, 2 Feb. 2013
This fairly thin book did not really bring anything to my party. Like a lot of titles written by Americans for Americans, it is completely irrelevant to European values and beliefs. The case studies in my opinion are fake and heavily staged. There is nothing of value in this book. I only paid £7.30 for it, so putting it on the fire will not be a great hardship! Don't bother with it! I know that a couple of purchasers have raved about it. I think that they must live on a different planet!

The Marseille Caper (Thorndike Mystery)
The Marseille Caper (Thorndike Mystery)
by Peter Mayle

1.0 out of 5 stars What a dull piece of writing!, 26 Dec. 2012
I have been a fan of Peter mayle for many years, going back to "A year in Provence" all these years ago. In fact, I have bought every single book from him written since. After the "Vintage Caper", I began to have doubts... The "Marseille caper" has confirmed these doubts. A boring piece of writing with bland characters, a very thin plot and a predictable outcome! Peter, in my opinion, has reached the end of his road on the fictional side of his writing and should stick to the non-fictional side where he excels. Do not buy this book!
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 18, 2014 2:22 PM BST

The Merde Factor: (Paul West 5)
The Merde Factor: (Paul West 5)
by Stephen Clarke

1.0 out of 5 stars What a disappointment!, 26 Oct. 2012
I have read all the other books by Stephen Clarke, on the "Merde" line. This one is by far the worse and must surely indicate that the author has reached the end of the line on this particular topic. As a Frenchman and long term resident in the UK, I have always enjoyed Stephen's writing style and accuracy of observation on our quirky " mode de vie". "The Merde factor" is very poor in my opinion. The story line is bland and far fetched. Unlike its predecessors, it just isn't funny or really topical...anywhere! The plot is off to a slow start and just does not get going. A very disappointing read! I am glad I borrowed the book from a friend and not paid for it!

The 10 Secrets For Cooking Paella: The Authentic Valencian Recipes
The 10 Secrets For Cooking Paella: The Authentic Valencian Recipes
by José María Cal

1.0 out of 5 stars What a joke!, 27 Mar. 2011
This book is very, very poor. I have no doubt that the author knows his stuff when it comes to paellas, but the translation of his work is shockingly bad. On numerous occasions I have failed to understand what Jose Maria CAL is trying to convey. This book should not be offered for sale in its present state. You are the printers of this piece of rubbish in the UK Mr Amazon, could I have my money back please?