Profile for P. K. Preston > Reviews

Content by P. K. Preston

P. K. Preston (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
TKC Aerobie Pro 13 Inch Flying Ring "Colours May Vary"
TKC Aerobie Pro 13 Inch Flying Ring "Colours May Vary"
Offered by Venture Blue

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant - for the dog or for my own fun, 22 Jan. 2014
I love these super frisbees!

As a flying toy these are fantastic, but they do come with a very real warning, and if you don't watch where and how hard your throw it, you will find yourself with a very long walk to collect it. I've managed to throw this over 200m with seemingly little effort. At that distance my dog just gave up chasing it. Get it right and it's great fun - who needs the dog?

They are great for really exercising an energetic dog (as long as she will chase it) but I found mine responded better to throwing this along the ground like a wheel. It will go for 150m with little effort depending on the angle you start it off at - and the wind speed/direction. I have managed to get it to roll, at an angle and leaning slightly into the wind (like a sail), for well over 250m before it stopped. If you increase the angle you can get it to do a huge spiral around you which will send your dog into mad loops chasing it.

Are these meant for kids, adults or dogs? Who cares: everyone will love it.

The only problem is that the edges can get damaged quite easily, especially around dogs, so either buy several at once so you aren't left without your new favourite toy, or keep it away from a chewing dog.

KabelDirekt 1m 90° Angle HDMI Cable (1080p 4K 3D High Speed with Ethernet ARC) - TOP Series
Offered by KabelDirekt

3.0 out of 5 stars budget option - check the direction of angle, 22 Jan. 2014
First of all, I know this is a budget item and as such it does the job and is cheap enough to not break the bank. It seems to make connections as it should and doesn't look horrendous.

Unfortunately I discovered that there is a direction to the angled end. It's my fault for not noticing the other options available but you need to check which way around you need the angle to go.

I haven't deducted any stars because of my mistake, it's just that although it is a budget item I don't think it justifies more stars on quality grounds - you can't give something 5 stars just because it's cheap if the quality isn't the same as a more expensive option.

If you're not after super high quality and only want to spend a few quid, then buy these. If you need quality, buy something dearer.

Orla Kiely Small Enamel Plant Pot
Orla Kiely Small Enamel Plant Pot

4.0 out of 5 stars Expensive but decent quality and pretty, 22 Jan. 2014
Look a little more online and you'll find similar retro look items for half the money, but because it's Orla Kiely it has a premium, though it's not like she made it by hand herself.

Anyway, it's pretty, is reasonable quality, and it makes a lovely herb pot.

Not worth the price but otherwise a nice item.

Soft Kitty (The Big Bang Theory) PRINTED ON LADIES HOODED T-SHIRT (XLARGE (UK SIZE 18), GREY)
Offered by Chicken Shed Clothing

3.0 out of 5 stars Thin material and misleading sizing, 22 Jan. 2014
First of all: I gave 3 stars despite being unhappy with the purchase overall because the product is mostly what was described and for the right person it'll be ok. There's very little that is specifically sub-standard about it, but it certainly didn't make me or my wife happy to own it.

I bought this as a last minute Christmas present so I was disappointed when it arrived and was quite such a thin material with an iron-on image. It's not a cheap purchase so that quality can't be forgiven.

The sizing is a definite problem: XL should certainly be extra large but it turns out to be suitable for a size 16 at the very maximum - unless you're looking for the stretched look.

Unfortunately this is the second time I've had this problem with one of these types of sellers so I won't be buying any more clothes from this type of retailer. It's not limited to just the one I used on Amazon. Apart from anything else, I doubt they have copyright permission for these designs.

Panasonic SC-HTE80EB-K Wireless Speakerboard with Bluetooth Wireless Technology - Black

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent sound - nightmare to set up with Sky AND dvd player, 22 Jan. 2014
OK, so once it is working it is ok. For the money you wouldn't expect to be blown away by the sound, and it isn't a surround system, but it does the job. My only comparison was a demo of the Bose unit and we were impressed by that (wish I'd bought that now).

The problem with this item is that the instructions assume you only have a DVD/BLURAY player connected and there are only enough HDMI points to accommodate that. Most people in the UK, and surely plenty of other countries, will be the same and will have a SATELLITE or CABLE TV service as well as their DVD player and yet not only is this not catered for with this model, but the INSTRUCTIONS make no attempt to explain how to get around the PROBLEM and the Panasonic online help is no help at all. One thing you discover when you are trying to fix something is just how uninterested a company can be once they've sold the product - as a result I now have less inclination to buy anything else from them.

Anyway, the SOLUTION for those of you who will have the same problem (if you buy this) is to use one of the different CABLE types. The only combination that I got to work was an HDMI from DVD and SKY box to SPEAKER, and an OPTICAL cable from the TV to the speaker. Once set up it is reasonably simply to operate, although you will need to use the separate remote whenever you want to use it. For us that's ok because it's only really for films and a few dramas, but it you want this sound all the time it could get a little tedious trying to find the remote every time.

The BLUETOOTH is a different story: I had my iPhone connected within minutes and found that I could be halfway around the house with it before it started to lose the connection - that's about 15m away and through internal walls. The sound is good enough to be a replacement for my Bose dock (now that Apple have changed everything about the phone's charging, blah, blah, blah, but that's another review) and although I don't use it often, it was almost worth the money just for this ability.

I hope something about this review is of help.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 1, 2014 8:41 PM GMT

Panasonic Lumix TZ10 Digital Camera - Black (12.1MP, 12x Optical Zoom) 3.0 inch LCD

1.0 out of 5 stars Excellent - when it works and if kept spotlessly clean - UPDATED review, 15 Sept. 2012
I'm a keen photographer and am very fussy about my cameras so when I buy a point & shoot camera to supplement my dSLR collection, I make sure I get something that is going to do everything I need and be reliable as well.

I first bought he TZ8 and was delighted with it until it failed with a "FOCUS ERROR". After a little research I discovered that its not an uncommon error on the TZ. I bought a TZ10 to replace it as it was just out of warranty but literally days after ordering the new TZ10, the TZ8 started working again. I gave it to my wife and looked forward to my new toy.

The TZ10 was great and I really loved using it, until just short of 1 year later when it developed a FOCUS ERROR - the same one as my old TZ8. I sent it back to Amazon who kindly replaced it without any questions. The new unit worked well until we were on holiday when it developed a fault. Guess what the message was.... FOCUS ERROR! After a few days of it sitting around on a table in the holiday villa, I tried it again and it worked fine.

So a few more months pass by without any problems other than the dust spots randomly appearing and disappearing - the Lumix is terrible for letting dust into the lens body. Then this morning, as I'm getting it ready for a holiday (12 months since the previous failure) its developed another FOCUS ERROR!

The Lumix TZ range have been the only camera I have ever recommended to friends (who often ask for my advice on cameras) and it was a big deal for me to give a recommendation at all. Now that I've suffered with the same problem from 3 different units I have to conclude that the design is flawed and that Lumix can no longer be relied upon.

The TZ range aren't budget cameras, being at the upper end of the non-professional scale, so I'm retracting any previous praise on the grounds that it is more likely to fail than any other camera I've ever owned. I've given it a reasonable star rating for the functions when it's working, but it has to be noted that it is susceptible to this error. Check the Internet and you'll see it crop up regularly.

UPDATE
My camera recovered from the previous error but then failed again and has not recovered. Basically I've had 3 Lumix cameras that have suffered this specific problem multiple times so I can no longer recommend either this model or the brand in general. I have reduced the rating to 3 stars.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 13, 2012 3:54 AM GMT

Barking, the Sound of a Language (Dogwise Training Manual)
Barking, the Sound of a Language (Dogwise Training Manual)
by Turid Rugaas

5.0 out of 5 stars A big help., 13 Jan. 2012
If for other reason than to make you stop and think about your dog's barking and associated behaviour. Don't be put off by the fact that it's a very short book - what there is in it is just the essential info. No filler.

Outeredge Windster Winter Glove - Black, Medium
Outeredge Windster Winter Glove - Black, Medium

4.0 out of 5 stars OK but be careful with sizing, 20 Dec. 2011
I actually bothered to measure my hand before selecting the size but the gloves were still a bit too tight. I'd suggest following the measuring instructions then getting the next size up if you're near the upper end of a size range.

The gloves seem reasonably well made - for the price - though you may get something similar for a few pounds less. They probably won't satisfy a serious cyclist but as I only bought them for wearing when out walking my dog, they're fine for me.

Kong Air Fetch Stick withrope, Large
Kong Air Fetch Stick withrope, Large

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for our Cocker..., 20 Dec. 2011
As with all Kong toys, these are very well made and quite tough (as long as your dog isn't a chewer). The only issue I have with this toy is that the rope is nylon and can be quite sore on your fingers when you throw it. I'm not sure why they didn't go with a more skin-friendly material but I have to wear gloves or limit the number of times I throw it in a session. I know this isn't down to just the one I bought because I was also lucky enough to find an older one in a field and it's every it as sore.

I'd still recommend it for a dog that is motivated by playing fetch, especially one that likes to track the 'prey' through the air.

Acme 210.5 Working Dog Whistle
Acme 210.5 Working Dog Whistle
Offered by brumemporium

5.0 out of 5 stars Cheap, rugged and effective, 10 Aug. 2011
Try breaking one of these in normal use - I dare you! Mine has been sat on, dropped, soaked, carried between teeth (dog's, not mine) and still looks like new - and works!

My Working Cocker Spaniel responded to this instantly, and she was only a few months old. I don't work her and she only really gets basic training, but for a recall over big distances and in dense woods, this whistle is great.

I've found that quite a few other dogs pay attention when I use it, and even though they haven't been trained to it, they often sit in front of me or stand there waiting.

Best dog accessory ever!