ARRAY(0xb7da9c78)

Profile for janlaws > Reviews

Content by janlaws

"janlaws"

The Da Vinci Code:  Special Illustrated Collector's Edition: The Illustrated Edition
The Da Vinci Code: Special Illustrated Collector's Edition: The Illustrated Edition
by Dan Brown

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 star entertainment., 16 Feb 2005
I read the da vinci code before it became a best seller, and I must say I did find it 5 star entertainment. You just couldn't second guess the next chapter never mind the end. It goes at a cracking pace throughout. I know its 'uncool' to like the novel now. There has been much criticism about the theories Dan Brown has written about and much debate. Well, I was intrigued by the whole thing. I was given the special collecters edition as a present and I must say,I do wish I had had this as a reference when I first read the book. It was the one thing I found frustrating, having to try to source the pictures and symbols talked about. The new collectors edition is beautifully illustrated although a little heavy to be used as bed-side reading. This book is a delight for fans of the da vinci code, but if your about to read it I would suggest you read the paper back, but if you can afford to, buy the collectors edition for ready reference.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 16, 2010 11:05 PM GMT

The Pillars of the Earth
The Pillars of the Earth
by Ken Follett

5.0 out of 5 stars My all time favourite novel., 15 Feb 2005
I found a copy of the pillars of the earth whilst scanning the shelves of my local bookshop. I hadn't come across Ken Follett before then, but as an avid reader of historical fiction, it seemed a safe bet. WOW! From the very first page I couldnt put it down. I hardly ate or slept for the duration. I felt I knew the characters personally and laughed and cried with them throughout the years we were together. I feld such grief when someone died, I sobbed openly. I lived in the middle ages and could hardly bear to drag myself back into the 20th century when I put the book down. I cried buckets when I finished the book and wanted to just open the front page and start again. I frequently recommend this book and all my family in australia were sent copies, such was my passion. I read the book quite a few years ago now but nothing I have read since, has grabbed me in quite the same way. It is still my all time favourite historical novel, I just cant rate it highly enough.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 26, 2013 7:03 PM GMT

The Virgin's Lover
The Virgin's Lover
by Philippa Gregory

4.0 out of 5 stars read it and love it, 1 Feb 2005
This review is from: The Virgin's Lover (Hardcover)
I'm a huge fan of Phillippa Gregory and have read all of her hisorical novels to date. I have to say my favourite was 'The other Boleyn girl'. However I really enjoyed the virgin's lover. I love her style of writng and although the plot to end Dudley's 'run' at the throne was a little far fetched, it doesn't detract from the enjoyment of the novel. After all it is a novel we are expecting, is it not? I found the other side of Elizabeth's nature rather appealing too. Yes we all know of her public face, but we saw behind the scenes. I can well imagine, behind closed doors she could often be seen to wring her hands in despair and I found it quite beleivable. I didn't want a biography when I read this book, I wanted a good story, an alternative story. I think Phillippa Gregory got it absolutely right on both counts