Profile for A3 > Reviews

Content by A3

A3 "Private Tay" (New Jersey)

Exploring Calvin and Hobbes: An Exhibition Catalogue
Exploring Calvin and Hobbes: An Exhibition Catalogue
by Bill Watterson

3.0 out of 5 stars Exploring Bill Watterson would have been a better title., 30 April 2015
I am a C&H fan - bought every book
Was excited about this one, especially since it's been so long since the last C&H strip
The book starts with a pretty lengthy interview with Mr Watterson, which some people might like
I think Mr W's a genius but for me, my interest lies in Calvin,Boy Of Destiny and his tiger - more than the cartoonist

Yes, Spaceman Spiff was featured
The one I really would have love to see was Tracer Bullet - thrillingdetective.com/eyes/tracer_bullet.html
As well as Stupendous Man

Canon LEGRIA mini - HD Camcorder - Black (Wide Angle Lens, 12.8MP, Wi-Fi, Vari-Angle Screen)

4.0 out of 5 stars BASIC but good., 7 Nov. 2013
UNTIL this thing came along, I've bought too many crappy mini video cameras
They cost maye 2/3rd the price

Most of them had no viewing screen
And the one that had - the layout was kind of not so easy to manoeuvre

I like that:
a. the i\0 switch also controls the lens cap
b. the shutter release button (for stills) on the left
c. the fish-eye lens can be changed to normal, just by tapping the screen

Not so crazy:
not a lot of control
just got the camera 6 houts ago - it seems to take stills but when I press the review, only vids can be seen

Don't have smartphone or tablet, so will try the wifi later
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 26, 2014 5:30 PM GMT

Mark Thomas Presents the People's Manifesto
Mark Thomas Presents the People's Manifesto
by Mark Thomas

4.0 out of 5 stars BRILLIANT - some preposterous but mostly great., 27 Oct. 2013
WHAT made this book even more attractive was I got if for less than a quid
Topics include:

Party manifestos should be legally binding

MPS shout not be paid wages, but loans - because they get highly paid jobs because of their Westminster connetion

Everyone should be given the day off on their birthday

Each topic is supported by arguments and facts
Some are not so logical
But others are spot-on
The birthday one asks, what if the birthday falls on a Sunday?
(What the people didn't ask was what if my birthday's on 29 Feb?)

Decibel Pressure Digital Sound Noise Level Meter Tester
Decibel Pressure Digital Sound Noise Level Meter Tester
Offered by discountedtoyou

4.0 out of 5 stars DOES the job so far., 3 July 2013
a. IT does the job
b. NOT that expensive
c. ONE of the few that would ship to sg

As I said on the amazon review (done before I got this), packaging's a bit thin
No box, just 2 styrofoam slabs

Instructions a bit hard to understand
Go to amazon to see my comments

The Best Camera is the One That's with You: iPhone Photography by Chase Jarvis (Voices That Matter)
by Chase Jarvis

2.0 out of 5 stars The camera you have with you nay be the best. Chances are, the pictures aren't as good as they could be., 7 Feb. 2013
LOW rating because I don't agree with the logic
There's an old saying that 'if you want to smoke, then you got to carry cigarettes'

Same with pictures
If you really want to take photos, then carry a camera
Cameras these days are a lot smaller

And to me, many people have just become lazy
Before phones started having cameras, many of us who wanted to take pictures would have a small camera with us - Olympus XA. Minolta TC, Konica Big Mini

Yes, the camera you have you may be the best camera
Just don't expect the results to be that good

How many times have we seen phone camera shots that are too dark (flash too weak), subject too small (no zoom), low contrast (no EV compensation), blur subjects (shutter lag)

The camera phone is the last resort, not the first option

Panasonic Lumix G10 12.1MP Compact System Camera Kit - Black
Panasonic Lumix G10 12.1MP Compact System Camera Kit - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars G10 - 7.5\10 for me, 1 Feb. 2013
I have an EPL3 but I bought this G10 because it came with the 14mm f2.5 lens
Because it's a discontinued body, the new G10 and new lens now cost LESS than a used 14mm alone
I don't really care it has no articulated screen
But I like that it has a built-in flash and viewfinder (unlike the ELP3)
Also, I prefer dials and knobs to scrolling through menus (that's why the Nikon F4 was such a great camera for me, if readers can remember that far back in film)
Yeah, I could niggle that there's no video button - must set video at PASM dial - and once or twice, I hit the iA button, thinking it was for video
But I like that most of the functions can be set without going to menus
If you see a G10 for sale at a good price, go for it
The camera's not bad but would I have bought it if it came with a 14-42 kit (instead of the 14mm 2.5) lens? Probably not
Buy it if it comes with a good lens at a good price
Or if you need a cheap 2nd m 4 3 body
I know, resolution's not that great, AF and buffering could be better etc etc
(And no touch screen - no loss to me)
But if I want such `pro' results, I'd go for the d700, which I hardly use because it's heavy and I don't blow prints up much because it's costly
Pretty much I use it with the new 20mm 1.7 (which came with the new GF2 I got - for less than what a 2nd hand 20 1.7 alone would cost) and it serves me well

The Four-Storey Mistake A Melendy Family Adventure
The Four-Storey Mistake A Melendy Family Adventure
by Elizabeth Enright

4.0 out of 5 stars No Mistake., 5 Sept. 2011
I read the other books in the series but never got hold of this
That was a long time back, by the 4-Storey kids and their adventures are great
Thanks for the book

Hitler's Private Library: The Books that Shaped his Life
Hitler's Private Library: The Books that Shaped his Life
by Timothy W. Ryback

4.0 out of 5 stars Hitler's books., 7 Jun. 2010
I like this book so much I sent it by amazon uk to a friend in London
I've always thought WWII was the last war fought with honour
Perhaps not by the Japanese but in the European theatre, from what I've read, there was a fair bit of it
I enjoyed the book because I like books. Always keen to know what others read. It's sad that Hitler could've been led astray by the books he got. Not sure how relevant this is, but I didn't read the book chronologically - I jumped all over the chapters. And the book still made sense. The author's research was thorough and I thought he was neutral. Like I said, enjoyed the book enough to send it to a friend.

Plato and a Platypus Walk into a Bar...: Understanding Philosophy Through Jokes
Plato and a Platypus Walk into a Bar...: Understanding Philosophy Through Jokes
by Thomas Cathcart

4.0 out of 5 stars Seriously funny., 11 Jan. 2010
I liked the book a lot. It's so good I wished I had thought of it. Trouble though, I can't remember the points now - this in no way means the book's crap, just that I' dense. Truth be told, I got the book at first to read the jokes. But it was so well written I ended up reading the book cover to cover. Now waiting for to get the other one - the one with the religion and jokes, I think. Like the way the book explains philosophy without being heavy.

Nikon COOLPIX SQ Digital Camera [3MP 3xOptical]
Nikon COOLPIX SQ Digital Camera [3MP 3xOptical]

3.0 out of 5 stars Great after all these years., 14 April 2008
I bought a 2nd hand Nikon SQ in late 2007.

Despite the 3MP, I love the camera.

It's not something to use for everyday shots but it's great for taking sneak shots. This has a lot to do with the design of the camera.

Sure, the swivel lens helps but I think what makes the biggest difference is the 'flatness' of the camera with the lens appearing on the narrow side of the body.

(I've other swivel cameras but the lens are on the front - and that makes it very obvious that a shot is being taken.)

With the SQ, I put the camera flat on the table and turn it on.
The screen on the top lets me see what I'm shooting.
(The positioning of the screen on the to is a lot better, to me, than on the rear.)

My quibbles:
1. I have to reset the flash off each time I turn the camera on again.
2. the spiral cord that attaches the lens cap to the body tends to get in the way - would have been great if the cord were a bit longer.
3. some sort of control. Right now, the Manual is kind of fake. No aperture or shutter speed control. Only ISO and WB, I think.

Would be great if Nikon did an update of the SQ.

So, if you see an old SQ going for a decent price, grab it.
I did - and no regrets.