Profile for Jumping Jesus > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Morning Phase [VINYL]
Morning Phase [VINYL]

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible, 6 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Morning Phase [VINYL] (Vinyl)
Here it is. Six years or so of waiting. The long-awaited follow up to Modern Guilt, Morning Phase is billed as a companion piece to Sea Change. The connection between this album and it's 2002 predecessor is obvious from the outset.
The string intro 'Cycle' reminiscent of 'Lonesome Tears', then 'Morning' which has echoes of 'The Golden Age'. 'Heart Is A Drum' reminds me, like several moments on this album of the Pink Floyd of Obscured By Clouds / Meddle era, and this is my overriding feeling, listening to Morning Phase, more so than the Sea Change comparison. It is a more uplifting listen than Sea Change.
'Say Goodbye' with its crisp acoustic guitar and banjo has a Neil Young vibe followed by the first song which was trailed ahead of the album release, the heartfelt single 'Blue Moon' which gives way to the slower tempo of 'Unforgiven'
A striking aspect of this record is the production. It sounds like a Nigel Godrich production, with whom Beck has worked on some of his finest albums. It is clear that he has learned a lot during their collaborations and appears to have now matched him in terms of lending his music drama and atmosphere. 'Wave' has plenty of both. Beck's father, David arranges here the string section which has real gravitas. It is a stand-out song on a stand-out album and it's strings remind me a little of some of the darker arrangements from 'The Wall', and another Floyd comparison.
'Dont Let It Go' to me is evocative of the Ryan Adams of Heartbreaker era but with haunting vocal harmonies which have a 'Runners Dial Zero' flavour. Blackbird Chain also has a Mutations feel and is followed by another string arrangement 'Phase'
'Turn Away' sees Beck back into full-on Pink Floyd mode,reminding me very much of 'GoodBye Blue Sky' in both tempo and instrumentation, in addition to Beck's Dave Gillmore-like mellow harmonising and multi-tracked vocals. Beautiful.
'Country Down' is an alt-country anthem reminding me in some senses of Neil Young's On The Beach era.
'Waking Light is a fitting finale to an epic Beck release, and has many of the elements of what makes this such a great album - the lush strings, the vocal harmonies and the Pink Floyd type arrangements. The finale leaves you with sense that you have just heard a classic which will go down as one of Beck's very finest.
Is this the best Beck album? It's difficult to say. I am playing a very lot at the moment, but then it's been a long time in coming. I will say though, that along with The Information, Sea Change, Mutations and Odelay (Not to mention the acoustic version of Modern Guilt), Morning Phase is definitely one of his best

Talking Book [lp] (Audiophile vinyl) [VINYL]
Talking Book [lp] (Audiophile vinyl) [VINYL]

5.0 out of 5 stars Jaw-dropping great sound, 24 Feb. 2014
I will not review the album. It is one of Stevie's great albums and there is plenty enough online in the way of reviews of the music.
What I will say is that the MFSL treatment of this vinyl is fantastic. From the thick card sleeve, the MoFi anti-static inner to the heavy vinyl and superbly clear sound, this is a must-buy for any audiophile Stevie Wonder fanatic. By far the best version of the album, sound-wise and aesthetic-wise

Fulfillingness' First Finale [VINYL]
Fulfillingness' First Finale [VINYL]

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential, 24 Feb. 2014
What I will say is that the MFSL treatment of this vinyl is fantastic. From the thick card sleeve, the MoFi anti-static inner to the heavy vinyl and superbly clear sound, this is a must-buy for any audiophile Stevie Wonder fanatic. It knocks spots off my Tamla original

Official T Shirt BREAKING BAD Black ELEMENTS Heisenberg S
Official T Shirt BREAKING BAD Black ELEMENTS Heisenberg S
Offered by ripleys clothing

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent enough, 24 Feb. 2014
I bought this for my wife. She is happy with it. It fits as expected. For me, I think it is a little cheap. The iron-on type design could have been a little more robust. I was hoping for a printed design. The t-shirt will probably have to be treated and washed with care if it is to last. It didn't cost the earth so it's no big deal. 3 stars - not too bad

Dizzy Heights [VINYL]
Dizzy Heights [VINYL]

2.0 out of 5 stars What a huge disappointment, 24 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Dizzy Heights [VINYL] (Vinyl)
I have had this vinyl on pre-order for as long as I have been able to. Having read all the positive reviews ahead of its release I was really looking forward to this. I have to say I feel really let down. The highlights so the album are average. The low-points are unlistenable. I previewed Divebomber from Neil's own website beforehand and it sounded awful. It still does. There is another track on the album (who's name eludes me right now) which is similarly bad, with Neil's struggling falsetto jarring terribly with a tuneless string section. I agree with the other reviewer who says that perhaps this is a project which Neil would have been better to have kept for family listening. I totally reject reviewers who suggest that those who don't like this album are more comfortable with 3 minute pop tunes. Neil Finn is firmly at the more mainstream end of my record collection. I have no problem with experimental or non-commercial, but Neil should stick to what he does best. This is light years away from his best albums - Together Alone & Try Whistling This.
I'll be seeing him live in Manchester & expect a great gig, just as the reformed Crowded House were great live, promoting the very average 'Intriguer'. I can't help feeling though that his best days are long behind him in the studio. Intriguer, Pajama Club, and now Dizzy Heights have done nothing to enhance his reputation, and it pains me to say so because 4 Crowded House albums and his two solo albums are some of the finest records I own. I don't often do negative reviews, but as much as I really like the man, it had to be done
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 28, 2014 2:27 PM GMT

Blue Moon (Album Version)
Blue Moon (Album Version)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Teaser, 23 Jan. 2014
This album is billed as a 'companion piece' to Sea Change. A good start as there is a lot to like in that. This is 'easy listening' Beck in acoustics, alt-folk mode. There is a real hunger coming through in the vocals that tells you the artist is champing at the bit. Six years or so has been a long time for him to be away and I can not wait for this album like I can't express. I have my pre-orders for the vinyl & the CD in. Roll on the UK tour!!!

Brainwavz Peridot Headphone Stand - Suitable For Almost All Headphone Sizes
Brainwavz Peridot Headphone Stand - Suitable For Almost All Headphone Sizes
Offered by MP4 Nation

5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice looking headphone stand., 19 Aug. 2013
This stand looks very nice, like a piece of arty furniture. It looks well made and classy, not at all cheap.

My PSB M4U2s clamp to it very nicely and look good.

It is sturdy and has enough weight to it to stay where it is, without the risk of it being knocked around/over.

Overall I am very happy with it. I think it represents the best value for money headphone stand on the market and looks better than the mere £21.50 I've paid for it

PSB M4U2 Noise Cancelling Headphones - Diamond Black
PSB M4U2 Noise Cancelling Headphones - Diamond Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything I hoped they would be, 14 Aug. 2013
I originally came across them via the review section of 'What Hi-Fi'.
I had about £300 to spend so it was between these and a pair of Sennheisers. I must say I am pleasantly surprised and really pleased with them.
Aesthetically speaking they look great. They are solid looking. They are not light, which is a plus to me. They are not overly heavy. They are much more comfortable than what I expected. They are snug but not too tight. They isolate my ears superbly so they cut out background noise pretty well without the noise cancelling on. They have an adjustable headband. Sturdy hinges on either side enable them to fold so they can be stored in the rather lovely carrying case which accompanies them.
As for the sound, they have 3 settings. Passive, Active, and Noise Cancelling. The batteries allow the latter two settings, but the phones will carry on when the batteries die, in passive mode. The passive mode is good.The sound is perfectly decent and still better than any other headphones I own. Flipping the switch one notch turns on the headphone amp and makes the PSBs start to sing. The bass response is rich, the trebble crisp, and everything in between. Having not yet sat on a plane or train, I have not yet really put the noise cancellation to the test, but it seems good from what I can gather.
The PSB M4U2s come with a spare pair of earpads, a spare cable, a 3.5mm jack to 6.3mm jack converter and a flight-jack converter. All jacks are gold-plated.
Overall I am delighted with my new 'phones and would certainly recommend them.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice Shampoo, 14 Aug. 2013
I alternate this with Paul Mitchell Tea tree. It has a nice sharp pine smell to it and gets my scalp squeaky clean really quick. It rinses well and I will continue to buy it

Giro Xen Full Fingered Gloves -
Giro Xen Full Fingered Gloves -

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect summer cycling gloves, 25 Jun. 2013
I have just purchased my second pair of these gloves. The first pair, after about 18 months are starting to show their age a bit. I'm not suprised, as I have cycled about six thousand miles in that time and have worn them throughout, with the exception of a few months during the cold spell, when only ski gloves will do.
Giro Xen are perfect warm-weather gloves. They are snug fitting and breathable. The suede-like palms have superb grip on the handlebars. They would suit any type of cycling though they have the look of mountain bike /BMX gloves in their styling. They fit the hand almost like a second skin and allow you to still do fiddly things whilst wearing them.
I tend not to wear them if it is bucketing down with rain or if it extremely cold as they offer little protection in conditions like these but when it is mild/warm and dry they are an absolute joy and worth their fairly dear price tag

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6