ARRAY(0xa47d54b0)

Like Clockwork [Deluxe 2LP] [VINYL]
Like Clockwork [Deluxe 2LP] [VINYL]
Price: 20.04

5.0 out of 5 stars QOTSA at the top of their game, 20 Jun 2013
There is'nt a lot that I can add to the mix of generally good reviews for this new QOTSA album.

I always find it hard to choose my favourite of their albums to date as I like them all a lot. I guess I would say that RATED R just pips it but it's a close call between them all with ERA VULGARIS taking the bottom slot.
I would perhaps place LIKE CLOCKWORK third place in the rankings just above LTP and TCV.

There are no weak songs at all on this record and while it may not have the bludgeoning impact of SFTD or RATED R it more than holds its own with mood and atmosphere. The band's sound has subtly evolved over time but not in a bad way and they certainly have not gone soft. You could argue they sound at the very top of their game and comfortable in their own skin more than ever.

The highlights of LIKE CLOCKWORK are 'I Sat By The Ocean', 'If I Had A Tail', 'My God Is The Sun', and 'I Appear Missing' but every song in reality is from the top drawer and there are no passengers amongst them.

One marked improvement on this album over all previous outings is the production. There is real clarity in the sound, good separation of instruments and a punch to the overall sound that gives the album sharper teeth with which to chew your ears and rag your head around with. The vinyl copy plays like a dream.

The deluxe package is so lush and fantastic to the point where it almost feels a little too grand for a mere ten songs and there would lie my only ctiticism. Ten songs was great in the days when bands released new albums every year but is a rich but meagre diet of music if we are to wait for three years or so until our next feed. Still five stars all day long though. Great album.

Try Whistling This
Try Whistling This
Offered by best_value_entertainment
Price: 6.72

5.0 out of 5 stars One Of His Finest, 4 Jun 2013
This review is from: Try Whistling This (Audio CD)
This is such a great album. In my opinion it ranks alongside 'Together Alone' in terms of his best and one of those are albums which has everything going for it. A heartfelt delivery of thirteen great songs & not a filler track to be found. The sound is mastered superbly too. There is great separation of sound and a real treat for the ears.
This is one of those rare album which for me made an imact immediately. Some take a few listens to get into but 'Try Whistling This' is immediate.
Slightly darker than his usual stuff and similar in tone to 'Together Alone', it kicks off with two great tunes in 'Last One Standing' and 'Souvenir'. Arguably my favourite Neil Finn tune is 'Sinner'. Other faves are the slightly haunting title track and rumbling and atmospheric 'Twisty Bass' as well as the upbeat 'She Will Have Her Way'
This is mastclass of songwriting and delivery. Some seem to favour 'One Nil' among Neil's solo albums but I beg to differ. This is the real deal and sees Mr Finn really at the peak of his powers. I'd love to have seen this released on vinyl, though I must admit I can't imagine it would sound much better than it does already regardless. Five stars hardly do it justice.

Man Alive [VINYL]
Man Alive [VINYL]

5.0 out of 5 stars Ridiculously good debut, 28 Mar 2013
This review is from: Man Alive [VINYL] (Vinyl)
I came to this album via 'Arc'. Based on the reviews I had read I expected it to be a little raw, a little hit-and-miss, so I took a few weeks getting round to giving it a listen. Oh dear, a few weeks of life wasted there. Within one track (the excellent opening track, 'My Kz Ur Bf') I had already hit Discogs to snap up one of the scarse vinyl copies of Man Alive for the price of a small house. It's that good. Barely in the last ten years have I repeat-played an album so much. There isn't one track here which I don't love. Some are more immediate than others but just as you grow acustomed to them, a new favourite springs up.
The production is crisp and punchy. The songs are catchy. The musicianship is top drawer and, as is the band's hallmark, the range of influences is so varied as to make them avoid a direct comparrison with anybody. I will avoid going through the tracks one by one and describing them and who they may sound a bit like, if anybody. Music is a subjective thing but I will say that this album is truly great and if they release one of it's equal in their entire career, then I will be greedily lapping it up. A far superior album to Arc I would say. Eleven out of ten.

Arc [VINYL]
Arc [VINYL]

4.0 out of 5 stars Great original sound, 28 Mar 2013
This review is from: Arc [VINYL] (Vinyl)
I have to admit that this was my introduction to the band. After hearing Kemosabe a few times on the radio I used Shazam to find out the artist and bought the vinyl on the strength of one song alone.
I am not disappointed. It's a fine album, which in parts kind of reminds me of some old Peter Gabriel stuff, amongst a few other things. The music largely defies comparison though as there are so many influences mixed in here as to make it hard to pin down. There are some real stand out tunes, namely the three songs which have been selected for release as singles. This is an album I have played many times.
I will say this though, I bought 'Man Alive' on the strength of many reviews of this album, expecting a raw, hit and miss affair but though I like Arc, Man Alive is in a different league and one of the best rock albums of the last ten years IMHO. I cannot fathom why anybody could think that Arc is an improvement on that. I hope that when EE come to release their third album it more closely follows the production values and variety of their first release.
Arc is, though, still a decent album. Four stars

Comedown Machine [VINYL]
Comedown Machine [VINYL]
Price: 16.20

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent, as you would expect, 28 Mar 2013
This review is from: Comedown Machine [VINYL] (Vinyl)
Ok, I'm not going to traul through each track and describe it and having only owned the album for a day, an in-depth review would be difficult and time-consuming. I'm sure that some dictionary-munching Rolling Stone hack could do a better job than me anyway.
This is a very solid Strokes album which I have been really looking forward to after the brilliant 'Angles'.
Some of the people who have given this bad reviews clearly have not bought the album. They have just come into the review section to slag off The Strokes. Pity them. Some have said there are no stand-out tracks on the album. Weird - are they listening to the same record? Some are decrying the fact that it is not up to the standard of 'Is This It', but for me 'Angles' is their by far and away their finest hour. Different Strokes for different folks I guess. Does it compare to 'Angles'? Not quite but there is still enough variety of tempo and style here to warrant the three stars for I've given it for sure.
I am pretty much playing it on repeat and it's sounding better and better with each listen. Each of the tracks here seem to have an immediate catchiness which is always a good sign.
What I will say about the vinyl version of this release is this - For once, the band and the record company have recognised the reason why punters buy vinyl albums - because they want their music to sound as good as it can be. Normally there is a download code supplied with an LP, so that you can access the mp3 version to put on your i-Pod. MP3 might have been a handy format ten years ago but punters want their tunes in lossless quality, so the inclusion of the full CD in the album package is a nice surprise and a very welcome addition which deserves a mention.
The rest of the LP packaging is very nice too. Bargain!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 10, 2013 5:41 PM BST

Gillette Fusion ProGlide Manual Razor Blades 8 pack
Gillette Fusion ProGlide Manual Razor Blades 8 pack
Price: 20.00

5.0 out of 5 stars The best blades around., 16 Feb 2013
These are the best shavers and blades around. They are very expensive but seem to last a lot longer and give a flawless shave. I defected to these from mac3 and they are noticeably better. Recommended

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Top case. Quality, 16 Feb 2013
I bought one of these cases before for my iPhone4. They are durable, light and very slim. They also offer some protection to dropping your phone. They look the part and don't impede any signal. They are expensive, but despite the cost, I would not even consider any other case for my iPhone. This time I have bought the Vintage Black/ Waxed Black version and it looks the business. The only slight issue is that you have to pop your phone out of the case a wee bit at the bottom while charging it as the charger is slightly impeded by the flap which joins the front and back of the case, but it's not a big deal and perhaps there is no way around that without compromising the design. All in all it is not enough of an issue to subtract any of the five stars I have given it. For a phone as expensive as an iPhone5, only the best case is good enough, and this is just that

MediaDevil Magicscreen Screen Protector: Matte Clear (Anti-Glare) - Apple iPhone 5 / 5S / 5C (2 x FRONT screen protectors)
Offered by MediaDevil
Price: 9.97

5.0 out of 5 stars You pay for what you get - quality, 16 Feb 2013
I have had one of these screen protectors before. Two years ago I has given one by Melkco for reviewing their case for my iPhone4 and it has been a fabulous screen protector. Two years on and it is still there, flawless and as good as the day it was applied. All the holes line up (which is important) and the anti-glare surface alows your finger to whip across the surface quickly and without smearing or sticking. It cuts out the glare without detracting from the visible detail of the screen picture. So I decided to shell out for another one for my new iPhone5. They are not cheap, though you get two for your money. However, you certainly get good value. The card and the clear instructions allow you to apply it flawlessly, and if you get a good case for your phone, you should probably never need to use the second one. Highly recommended

Yamaha CDS300BL Compact Disc Player with MP3 and WMA Compatabilty, USB and iPod Compatible
Offered by Nottingham HiFi Centre
Price: 169.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Great player- cheap as chips, 23 Nov 2012
This is a really good CD player. I always trust Yamaha anyway. They are always good value for money. The CDs sound great, the player looks great, it has a direct signal button, to cut out some of the electrics and get the most pure signal path through the player, and crucialy it has a USB socket on the front which allows you to run your iPod though your Hifi without any expence, just an iPod USB lead, which sounds CD quality, if your iPod stuff is lossless. One thing I learned whilst studying sound engineering was that there is little difference between a cheap CD player and an expensive one. You are much better throwing your money at the amp, cabling and speakers, if anything. This CD player is an absolute steal. For 170 it has some great features, looks good and sounds the part. Highly recommended
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 1, 2013 5:14 PM BST

12 Inch Vinyl Record Sleeves Clear (25)
12 Inch Vinyl Record Sleeves Clear (25)
Offered by PANGADGETS UK
Price: 11.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent sleeves, 23 Nov 2012
I have ordered these a number of times now. They are as clear as glass, fairly light without being flimsy and will aommodate most double albums/gatefolds. I have only one or two with 8mm spines which I use roomier sleeves for. Well recommended

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4