Profile for J. Bowen > Reviews

Content by J. Bowen

J. Bowen "Jamie Bowen" (Hampstead London)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Western Digital My Passport Neoprene Carrying Case for Your Portable Hard Drive - Black
Offered by iTreat
Price: 6.99

2.0 out of 5 stars It certainly covers the hard drive, 14 Sep 2014
I'm not altogether convinced by this product. I mean it covers my WD !TB My Passport Ultra (and lead) just fine, but it feels thin, and it doesn't feel as if it wouldn't give all that much protection if I dropped the hard drive (unless you want to be protected from the broken bits of plastic that fall from the cover of the hard drive as it shatters).

WD My Passport Essential SE 1 TB Black Portable Hard Drive (USB 3.0/2.0)
WD My Passport Essential SE 1 TB Black Portable Hard Drive (USB 3.0/2.0)
Offered by Digital Components Ltd (dclstore)
Price: 42.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Works well as an external hard drive, 14 Sep 2014
I bought this with the USB 2.0 cable and it works fine. This external hard drive seems to deliver data to and from my computer with no problems at all.

I'm told the USB 3.0 delivers data to and from the hard drive quicker, but I can't tell much difference. I suspect at the moment that it's a marginal thing. I feels that way to me.

It comes with WD software installed, which means you can lock the drive, preventing others from gaining access to your valuable data. In addition, the software allows you to back up the computer automically, which means you just plug it in and leave it, which is a plus in my book.

WD My Passport 2TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 - Silver
WD My Passport 2TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 - Silver
Offered by Novum_Distribution
Price: 112.90

5.0 out of 5 stars Works well as a back-up, 14 Sep 2014
I have a number of WD products, but this is my "go to" product when I want to back up data. It works well (I use this to back up the data I need for work), and it works a treat. It uploads the the data I have stored on various computers quickly, and if I need, it seems to pull data off it, it downloads just as quickly.

In all honest, I have the newer WD Ultra too, but for day-to-day grunt work I can't tell the difference between the two. I'm sure that for the more technically gifted, there are some difference, but for the rest of us, this is just fine.

WD My Passport Ultra 1TB USB 3.0 Portable Drive with Auto and Cloud Backup - Black
Price: 49.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Works well, 14 Sep 2014
This works well. I use this to back up the data I need for work, and it works a treat. It uploads the the data I store on various computers quickly, and if I need to pull data off it, it downloads just as quickly.

Olympus BCS-1 Li-ion Battery Standard Charger for E-400 Series and E-620
Olympus BCS-1 Li-ion Battery Standard Charger for E-400 Series and E-620

4.0 out of 5 stars Works fine as an Olympus BCS-1 battery charger, 6 Sep 2014
A little pricey but it charges the Olympus BCS-1 battery that came with my e-620 just fine. Mine came with a British plug lead, but looking at the picture (and who sells it), it might be worth checking what lead and plug it comes with.

The Atomic Atom - Maxi Poster - 61 cm x 91.5 cm
The Atomic Atom - Maxi Poster - 61 cm x 91.5 cm

4.0 out of 5 stars An interesting enough poster, 6 Sep 2014
This might be a little too detailed to be brilliantly readably in high school, but it's interesting, and the students seem to find it fairly interesting, as I find students gathered round it regularly.

Sto-Fen Omni Bounce OM-600 for SB600, FL36 & DMW FL 360
Sto-Fen Omni Bounce OM-600 for SB600, FL36 & DMW FL 360
Offered by Five Star
Price: 10.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Works fine, does its job, 6 Sep 2014
This works with my Olympus FL-36-R lens just fine, making the light from the unit seem a little less intense. It's a little expensive for what is effectively moulded plastic, but other than that no grumbles.

Olympus FL-36-R Wireless Flash
Olympus FL-36-R Wireless Flash

5.0 out of 5 stars A nice flash, 6 Sep 2014
I purchased this because I wasn't brilliantly happy with the built in flash that came with my Olympus e-600. That internal flash was weird when trying to help the camera focus. It used a type of contrast focussing which meant that the camera looked for a sharp line of contrast between illuminated and non-illuminated areas. To achieve this, the flash fired repeatedly till focus was achieved. This would disrupt ANY situation you're using the flash in, and always left me worrying I'd set off someone's photosensitive epilepsy. I know I could turn it off, but then the camera took an age to focus, if at all.

The FL-36 was the cheaper of the flashes that Olympus made when I bought it, and I have to say I like it. The most obvious reasons why it's better than the built in flash is that it's a lot less distracting when it helps the camera focus in dark environments. It works in a different way than the built in flash because it issues red focusing lights when helping the camera focus, and those are a less intrusive.

You'll also notice when you start playing with it is that it seems to "fill the room" better, and give you more options when it comes where you aim the flash (thus making the picture potentially more interesting). In addition you'll find it can be used wirelessly, which means it doesn't have to be attached to the camera when you use it. I can't comment on this, because I haven't really used it in

If I were to grumble, I'd say you might argue it's a little expensive, that it takes a longish time to get ready to flash, and that it has now been discontinued. They seem to have replaced it with the FL-600, which is at the same price point.

The Digestive System
The Digestive System
by Anatomical Chart Company
Edition: Wall Chart

4.0 out of 5 stars Very detailed, 6 Sep 2014
This review is from: The Digestive System (Wall Chart)
I don't doubt that this is very good for the more academically minded, but I feel it's too busy (and full of detail) to be readily accessible in a school setting.

Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm, f 4.0-5.6
Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm, f 4.0-5.6
Price: 209.59

4.0 out of 5 stars A good kit lens, 3 Sep 2014
This is the kit lens that comes with the DSLRs that Olympus used to sell. It's got a decent "reach" (equivalent to 80-300mm on a full frame camera), it's light, and gives good image quality, with decent sharpness. It can take a couple of moments to focus, but other than that it does work well.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20