Profile for L. Brothwell > Reviews

Content by L. Brothwell

L. Brothwell "rusty549" (UK)

No Place Like Home: A New Beginning with the Dogs of Afghanistan
No Place Like Home: A New Beginning with the Dogs of Afghanistan
by Pen Farthing

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb follow-on from One Dog At A Time, 1 April 2011
After reading One Dog At A Time it left me wanting to know what happened next and this book tells it all. It is about what happened when Pen's Afghan rescue dogs arrived home, from the settling in to appearing at Crufts and the journey in between, not just for the dogs but Pen too! Just as rivetting as his first book, it will grab your interest from the first page to the last and leave you wanting yet more! A MUST BUY FOR ANY DOG LOVER!

One Dog at a Time: Saving the Strays of Helmand
One Dog at a Time: Saving the Strays of Helmand
by Pen Farthing

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read for any dog lover!, 1 April 2011
Whether you are an animal lover or not, this tearjerker will have you reaching for the handkies from the start. What makes it even more moving is that it is a true account of how one Marine took pity on a maltreated dog and has since managed to save lots more of these pathetic, forgotten dogs left to fend for themselves on the streets of Afghanistan. If ever there was a book crying out to be made into a film, then THIS IS IT! It has everything, it isn't just about the dogs, it also gives a superb insight into what our brave armed forces face everyday in hostile territory. Oh how I wish I were a film producer, I would snap this story up in an instant! Well done, Pen Farthing, and good luck for the future with your Nowzad Charity.

Billy Brown, I'll Tell Your Mother
Billy Brown, I'll Tell Your Mother
by Bill Brown

5.0 out of 5 stars A superb trip down Memory Lane for me!, 1 Mar. 2011
I was a child in the 1950's, growing up in a city which was heavily bombed during the war, and Billy's accounts of adventures on the bombsites, that wonderful community spirit and rationing all stirred so many long forgotten, but happy, memories for me! His style of writing flows superbly, so much so that you feel you are actually there with him, one of his 'gang', and he keeps you engrossed from the very first page wondering what's coming next! Bill's way of writing has magically recounted his childhood through the eyes of a child, a rare and brilliant talent. He has captured the era perfectly of days long gone when people had more respect for others and knew right from wrong. The 'toy soldier' episode is a great lesson of this. It is rare that a book appeals to people of all ages across the spectrum, but this one certainly hits that mark and I would advise everyone to read it. It will have you laughing all the way through and turning those pages at a rate of knots! The only criticism I can think of is: When is the follow-on coming out? Bill Brown, you have left me wondering what happened next and wanting more!!

Meerkat Manor: The Story Begins [DVD] (2008)
Meerkat Manor: The Story Begins [DVD] (2008)
Dvd ~ Whoopi Goldberg
Offered by HalfpriceDVDS_FBA

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb story - it made me cry!, 7 Mar. 2010
Having already purchased Meerkats - The Movie (which is a superb DVD) and not seen any of the Meerkat Manor series, I was curious if The Movie could be equalled and it was! This DVD has a great storyline with a sad ending but I guess that is the harsh reality of life in the wild. It follows Flower from her beginning and rise to the matriarch of the group then her untimely tragic end defending her group to the last with the ultimate sacrifice, and I'm not ashamed to say I wept like a baby at the end. The film is an unobtrusive insight into the lives of these wonderful creatures, very sympathetically made and a joy to watch.

Meerkats
Meerkats
by Nigel Dennis

5.0 out of 5 stars If you love meerkats, this is the book for you!, 7 Mar. 2010
This review is from: Meerkats (Hardcover)
As the title says, if you love meerkats then this is the book for you. There is a very informative chapter about these gorgeous critters and their habits and habitat etc.. and the photos are simply stunning! Colour reproduction is excellent and the book is very well made. I bought it as a gift for my partner but simply had to look at it myself before I gave it to him and wanted to keep it for myself - that says it all!

Caselogic Small Hard Drive Case - Black
Caselogic Small Hard Drive Case - Black
Offered by freshegg

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect protection for my Seagate Expansion!, 14 Dec. 2009
After reading some of the horror stories regarding fit, I was a bit worried that this case would be the wrong size for my Seagate Expansion 250g hard drive unit but I needn't have worried - it fits perfectly and I'm delighted! The elastic holding strap is strong and secure keeping it firmly in place and there is a mesh storage compartment in the lid for my USB cable so no loose items to get lost. It is possible to plug the USB into the drive and use it without having to remove it from the case which I think is a plus point. With external storage drives now becoming more slimline and compact, this case is your answer to keeping your unit protected as its outer construction is quite rigid and durable without being rock hard and the zip is heavy duty (often a weak spot on items like this). It would be possible to store another identical unit in the mesh lid compartment if you had two. All in all, a super quality product at a very reasonable price - what more could you ask?