Profile for Fred Everett > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11
In Broad Daylight
In Broad Daylight

4.0 out of 5 stars Crime-thriller set in Alaska, 9 Feb. 2014
This review is from: In Broad Daylight (Kindle Edition)
The setting makes for an unusual experience. I was almost totally convinced by the main character until the author started using clichés like 'getting my man', which diminished my respect for a strong female agent. I'd still give it 90%, though.

The Bower Bird (Gussie)
The Bower Bird (Gussie)

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't put it down, 9 Feb. 2014
The voice of the young narrator, Gussie, is compelling and convincing. What a full life she leads, mentally and emotionally as she waits for the desperately-needed lung-and-heart transplant. I've got to find he next book!

Remarkable Creatures
Remarkable Creatures

5.0 out of 5 stars The story behind the craze for fossil-hunting, 9 Feb. 2014
Based on truth and well-researched, this novel reveals the controversy between Creationists and the new Darwinism. It is done through sensitive characterisation, as you would expect from this author, and has made me want to revisit Lyme Regis with my eyes wide-opened.

The Last Runaway
The Last Runaway

5.0 out of 5 stars Unusual setting grabs the attention, 9 Feb. 2014
This review is from: The Last Runaway (Kindle Edition)
I really did not know enough about this time and place in America, and Chevalier brought it all to life. She can share a great sympathy for her characters, making them and their predicament very real and affecting.

The Lady of the Rivers (Cousins War Series Book 3)
The Lady of the Rivers (Cousins War Series Book 3)

5.0 out of 5 stars This is part of a great saga, 1 Feb. 2014
Like the others in the series (and it does not matter much which order you read them in) this is gripping. Well-drawn characters, based on historical research, tense situations... and the usual Gregory skill in creating atmosphere. I love her books.

Miss Appleby's Academy
Miss Appleby's Academy

5.0 out of 5 stars Some books do stay with you, 1 Feb. 2014
I wondered where I was being taken, and became more and more involved and convinced. A deceptively simple style and a situation that is based on sound background knowledge.

The Secret Scripture
The Secret Scripture

4.0 out of 5 stars Terrible times have terrible secrets, 1 Feb. 2014
The author shows sensitivity in his revelation of character, social background and changing times. The two voices sing antiphonally and only gradually are all the truths exposed.

The Fellowship of the Ring: The Lord of the Rings, Part 1 (The Lord of the Rings series)

5.0 out of 5 stars An old friend I want to keep close by, 1 Feb. 2014
I have read and re-read Tolkein's trilogy over the years and it does not diminish in excitement, involvement with the characters and massively imaginative powers of description.
The other two books will surely follow onto my Kindle.

River of Shadows: A Commissario Soneri Mystery
River of Shadows: A Commissario Soneri Mystery

3.0 out of 5 stars The River Po... a gloomy setting, 1 Feb. 2014
I feel sorry for poor Soneri, having to trail up and down this relentlessly gloomy waterway. He must have yearned for some light and some light relief. I know I did.
Perhaps it was the sameness of the scenery, mood and characters, that made me long for a few surprises before the end of the search.
Give me The Little World of Don Camillo! I suppose it is a mark of our world that we cannot laugh at the Communist era in Italy any more?

The Forgotten Sister: Mary Bennet's Pride and Prejudice
The Forgotten Sister: Mary Bennet's Pride and Prejudice

3.0 out of 5 stars Another Austen spin-off, 1 Feb. 2014
As well as the use of American spellings in this most English of literature, I found the wholesale lifting of some passages and speeches from the original a bit - shall we say startling? It takes a lot to live up to J.A.
If you can get past that, then the characters are developed credibly and behave according to the manners of the period... or break them if necessary.
I did get interested in the plot, but wonder if I would buy another on, say, Kitty

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11