Profile for Fred Everett > Reviews

Miss Appleby's Academy
Miss Appleby's Academy
Price: 1.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Some books do stay with you, 1 Feb 2014
I wondered where I was being taken, and became more and more involved and convinced. A deceptively simple style and a situation that is based on sound background knowledge.

The Secret Scripture
The Secret Scripture
Price: 4.67

4.0 out of 5 stars Terrible times have terrible secrets, 1 Feb 2014
The author shows sensitivity in his revelation of character, social background and changing times. The two voices sing antiphonally and only gradually are all the truths exposed.

The Fellowship of the Ring: The Lord of the Rings, Part 1: The Fellowship of the Ring v. 1
Price: 1.99

5.0 out of 5 stars An old friend I want to keep close by, 1 Feb 2014
I have read and re-read Tolkein's trilogy over the years and it does not diminish in excitement, involvement with the characters and massively imaginative powers of description.
The other two books will surely follow onto my Kindle.

River of Shadows: A Commissario Soneri Mystery (Commissario Soneri 1)
River of Shadows: A Commissario Soneri Mystery (Commissario Soneri 1)
Price: 3.96

3.0 out of 5 stars The River Po... a gloomy setting, 1 Feb 2014
I feel sorry for poor Soneri, having to trail up and down this relentlessly gloomy waterway. He must have yearned for some light and some light relief. I know I did.
Perhaps it was the sameness of the scenery, mood and characters, that made me long for a few surprises before the end of the search.
Give me The Little World of Don Camillo! I suppose it is a mark of our world that we cannot laugh at the Communist era in Italy any more?

The Forgotten Sister: Mary Bennet's Pride and Prejudice
The Forgotten Sister: Mary Bennet's Pride and Prejudice
Price: 3.49

3.0 out of 5 stars Another Austen spin-off, 1 Feb 2014
As well as the use of American spellings in this most English of literature, I found the wholesale lifting of some passages and speeches from the original a bit - shall we say startling? It takes a lot to live up to J.A.
If you can get past that, then the characters are developed credibly and behave according to the manners of the period... or break them if necessary.
I did get interested in the plot, but wonder if I would buy another on, say, Kitty

Winter Solstice
Winter Solstice
Price: 5.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Calling all Pilcher fans, 19 Jan 2014
This review is from: Winter Solstice (Kindle Edition)
You will find it all here. Well-drawn homely setting.. likeable people,,, human problems... all dealt with, with her usual depth of understanding and an eye for little, convincing details.

Through the Door (The Thin Veil)
Through the Door (The Thin Veil)
Price: 3.99

4.0 out of 5 stars An almost convincing fantasy, 19 Jan 2014
The author has the usual problem... how to make the reader go along with a (literally) extra-ordinary idea. The clues are laid cleverly, and the plot carries you on in anticipation, mostly because the characters are interesting.

Kindle PowerFast Charger for Accelerated Charging, UK (for Kindle Fire tablets and Kindle e-readers)
Price: 17.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Kindle Powerfast charger, 19 Jan 2014
Does what it promises... hassle-free charging. No longer go through my laptop. I have found this entirely satisfactory and easy to take around.

Paying The Piper
Paying The Piper
Price: 3.49

5.0 out of 5 stars If you want suspense...!, 18 Jan 2014
This review is from: Paying The Piper (Kindle Edition)
... then this is the book for you. I HAD to go on reading, right to the end of this gripping, twisting tale

She Wore Only White
She Wore Only White
Price: 3.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Quietly intriguing, 18 Jan 2014
A feel for the period, manners and setting made me want to go on reading, though it was a bit too quiet, I felt!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10