Profile for John > Reviews

Content by John

John (SWINDON, Wiltshire United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Pentax K-01 Compact System Camera with 18-55mm Lens Kit - Silver
Pentax K-01 Compact System Camera with 18-55mm Lens Kit - Silver

3.0 out of 5 stars A refreshing change from an automatic camera, 5 Feb 2014
I bought this (fortunately at a good price as a daily deal) thinking I could dust off my old lenses with the Pentax K mount. I did, and they work (of sorts), but I quickly concluded that such heavy lenses belonged to a previous era.

The bundled 18-55mm lens is good but limited in its zoom range so I invested in the Tamron 18-200mm lens. The rechargeable battery is quite big, but it does keep the camera running for a long time.

The big limitation of this camera is the autofocus which is unreliable. I have turned it off and developed the habit of zoom in, manually focus and then zoom out to frame the shot.

Greenworks Tools 25cm (10'') 24V Lithium-Ion Cordless Battery Chainsaw
Greenworks Tools 25cm (10'') 24V Lithium-Ion Cordless Battery Chainsaw

4.0 out of 5 stars It cuts trees!, 5 Feb 2014
The convenience of not having a cable or electric motor makes this an ideal tool for occasional tree clearing work (subject to the size limitation) and chain saws are usable in places where hand saws can't. An ideal tool for those with a few trees in their garden which need periodic attention.

It's lost a star because the battery slot can clear take a bigger battery but they chose to include a small one. Nonetheless, it is good for about 20 minutes of non-continuous work.

Acctim 14637 Cavendish Smartlite Bell/Bi-Bi Alarm Clock
Acctim 14637 Cavendish Smartlite Bell/Bi-Bi Alarm Clock

4.0 out of 5 stars Excessively bright backlight, 5 Feb 2014
I wanted a clock which was easy to read in the dark and it easily meets that requirement. The automatic lighting works but unfortunately, it is excessively is bright and effectively illuminates the bedroom, which is more than I wanted or expected. So it's lost a star in the rating.

Fortunately, all is not lost because the hands have sufficient luminous paint that they stay glowing all night.

HTC Replacement Battery for HTC Desire X - Black
HTC Replacement Battery for HTC Desire X - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Works fine, but not genuine HTC, 17 Dec 2013
The battery I received is working OK but is rated at 1400mAh and is not a genuine HTC product.

However, the price was very reasonable so I'll give it 4 stars (provided it doesn't die within a few months).

Pure Move 400D Palm Sized Rechargeable Digital DAB/FM Radio - Silver
Pure Move 400D Palm Sized Rechargeable Digital DAB/FM Radio - Silver
Offered by TODO! TODO!

4.0 out of 5 stars A DAB Radio that doesn't need to be plugged into a mains socket, 17 Dec 2013
My previous DAB radio purchases quickly gathered dust because they either struggled to pick up a signal and/or kept plugged into the mains.

The Pure Move 400D overcomes these deficiencies although there's further scope for improvement. For example, my attempt to increase the bass resulted in the audio going crackly (which I first thought was a week signal problem).

AC 220V 10A Photocell Sensor Automatic Light Control Switch w 3 Wire
AC 220V 10A Photocell Sensor Automatic Light Control Switch w 3 Wire
Offered by sourcingmap

3.0 out of 5 stars It's doing the job nicely after some teething troubles, 20 Nov 2013
I used this in conjunction with a 4W LED light to replace a 16W fluorescent light photo sensor that didn't like to turn itself off on dull winter days. However, as supplied it didn't want to work all. A quick look inside revealed that the two metal legs of the photo sensor were touching each other. Once they were pulled apart then the device sprung into life. The next problem was that it wanted close to darkness before turning the light on. So I wrapped some black electrical tape around part of the translucent cover until I get the required sensitivity.

And, since then, it's been performing its task reliably.

TomTom Via 125 5 Inch Sat Nav with Western Europe Maps
TomTom Via 125 5 Inch Sat Nav with Western Europe Maps

4.0 out of 5 stars Hasn't yet get got me lost!, 20 Nov 2013
One reason I bought this was the free lifetime maps update offer plus a community-based map correction system.

It replaced a 2 year old Garmin which was getting increasingly confused and I wasn't willing to shell out a lot of money on a sat nav which liked to use road names instead of numbers. The Tom Tom is much better in that respect although reading out "A four thousand three hundred and sixty one" takes more time and is less comprehensible than "A four three six one".

I've docked a star because there seems to be a battery self discharge problem - it will drain itself if left unused but turned off for a month, which is neither good for the battery or convenient for the user.

Braun Oral-B TriZone 1000 One-Mode Rechargeable Toothbrush (Packaging Varies)
Braun Oral-B TriZone 1000 One-Mode Rechargeable Toothbrush (Packaging Varies)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value as a daily deal., 20 Nov 2013
I got this for £14.97 on a daily deal and, at that price it's good value and does everything I expect of an electrical toothbrush and it briefly pauses every 1/2 minute as a brushing time indicator. I'm puzzled why people spend a lot more money on some of the other toothbrushes in this family.

The tri-zone brush head seems to be more effective than the more common rotary brush head. However, they seem to have shrunk the battery compare to the previous rechargeable brushes so the recharge interval is only a week compared to my previous 2 weeks plus so I've docked it a star - one has to remember to take the charger if going for a week's holiday.

Garmin Forerunner 10 GPS Running Watch - Black/Red
Garmin Forerunner 10 GPS Running Watch - Black/Red

4.0 out of 5 stars Could do with better satellite tracking, 20 Nov 2013
Overall, it's a convenient device but needs to be used with the Garmin Connect website to get the best from it.

The biggest deficiency (which has cost it a star) is that the satellite tracking could be better. Close examination of the recorded track shows that I've sometimes wandered to the other side of a wide road and back again. Which makes it think I've run further than I actually have. I had the same problem with the older Foretrex 301 but I had expected the latest technology would perform better in this respect.

Bosch AHS 48 cm Lithium Ion Cordless Hedgecutter
Bosch AHS 48 cm Lithium Ion Cordless Hedgecutter
Offered by Platinum Home and Garden

5.0 out of 5 stars No more getting out the mains cable, 20 Nov 2013
I found this on one of the daily deals and decided that the greater mobility compared to a mains powered trimmer would increase the likelihood of the hedges getting trimmed.

It's not short of power and the battery life was good enough to trim all the hedges in one session.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5